.us Proposal to Release 1 and 2 Character .US Domains by NeuStar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
Proposal to Release 1 and 2 Character .US Domains by NeuStar

Proposal to Release 1 and 2 Character .US Domain Names |

If approved this can give .US a much-needed boost that we all have been waiting for. It will be great if they also did something with the over 125 prime keyword domains that have been on the reserved list for the past eight years. Some .US domains are probably justified being kept on the reserved list, but there is a lot of Industry-defining and category-killer domains that are currently inactive that can also give .US a great boost if released and put to some good use. IMO

ABOUT.US
ADDRESS.US
AERO.US
AFFILIATES.US
AGENCY.US
AGRICULTURE.US
AMERICAN.US
APPLY.US
ARTS.US
BIZ.US
BOROUGH.US
BUY.US
CATALOG.US
CITIZEN.US
CITY.US
COMMERCE.US
COMPANY.US
CONSUMER.US
COOP.US
COUNTY.US
DEPT.US
DIR.US
DIRECTORY.US
DNS.US
DOMAIN.US
EGOV.US
E-GOV.US
EGOVERNMENT.US
E-GOVERNMENT.US
ELECTION.US
EMAIL.US
EMERGENCY.US
EMPLOYMENT.US
ENERGY.US
EXAMPLE.US
FED.US
FEDERAL.US
FILE.US
FIND.US
FIRE.US
FORMS.US
GEO.US
GET.US
GOPHER.US
GOV.US
GOVERNMENT.US
HOME.US
HOST.US
HOSTS.US
HOUSING.US
HTTP.US
IDENTITY.US
INFO.US
INFORMATION.US
INT.US
INTERIOR.US
INTERNET.US
IPCHECK.US
KEYWORD.US
LABOR.US
LAW.US
LIBRARY.US
LICENSE.US
LOCAL.US
LOCATE.US
LOCATION.US
MAIL.US
MAILBOX.US
MED.US
MEMORIAL.US
MONUMENT.US
MUSEUM.US
MYEMAL.US
MYMAIL.US
NAME.US
NAMES.US
NAMESERVER.US
NATIONAL.US
NIC.US
ONLINE.US
PARK.US
PARKS.US
PERMIT.US
PERSON.US
PHONEBOOK.US
POLICE.US
POLICY.US
POP3.US
PRESIDENT.US
PROGRAM.US
PUBLIC.US
REALESTATE.US
REGISTRARS.US
REGISTRATION.US
RENEW.US
ROOT.US
SAFETY.US
SCHOLARSHIP.US
SCHOOL.US
SEARCH.US
SECURITY.US
STATE.US
SUNRISE.US
TAX.US
TLD.US
TOURISM.US
TOWN.US
TRANSPORTATION.US
TRAVEL.US
UNITEDSTATES.US
UNITEDSTATESOFAMERICA.US
URL.US
USA.US
VETERANS.US
VILLAGE.US
VOLUNTEER.US
VOTE.US
WHITEPAGES.US
WORK.US
YELLOWPAGES.US
ZIP.US
ZONE.US
ZONES.US

-

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I fail to see how the release of a few words to a few people will revitalise what has in effect been killed off by holding a few domains on a list no one can get to?

You have maybe 50 words there, some obviously will not be sold to Joe Public like gov.us although I wouldn't be surprised and there are about 750,000 words in the English language...

•••
If approved this can give .US a much-needed boost that we all have been waiting for. It will be great if they also did something with the over 125 prime keyword domains that have been on the reserved list for the past eight years. Some .US domains are probably justified being kept on the reserved list, but there is a lot of Industry-defining and category-killer domains that are currently inactive that can also give .US a great boost if released and put to some good use. IMO

I highly doubt a release will boost .us significantly. Sure there are some top keywords on the list but releasing 100 keywords really does not make much of a difference. The release of 1 and 2 char .biz domains really haven't changed anything and did not boost .biz IMHO the only thing that probably will be boosted by the releasing the reserved .us domains is the traffic to some domain parking companies :)

•••
I think .us needs an awful lot more than that to breathe some life in to a floundering cctld.

•••
I believe that releasing the 1 and 2 character .US domains is bound to get everyone’s attention and could create some new excitement amongst domainers and end-users alike (at least for a while). The important thing is to be able to build on this potential publicity and not let .US get forgotten again, one way to do that is perhaps by releasing the prime commercial keyword domains such as RealEstate.US , Travel.US , Tourism.US and the so many others that have been on the reserved list for the past eight years and are currently on inactive status. I believe that .US has been kept on the backburner long enough, this could be a good opportunity to make everyone aware of the full potentials of this extension. IMO

-

•••
The only reason this has came about is because the contracts up for them shortly, (they can get 2 1yr extensions)

And thats the only reason neustart havebecome active online for .us again,

there not intrested in promoting it, there not intrested in helping it develop, they only want ties to the us government (gives them credability)

Dont get me wrong, i'll be first in line for a 1 char .us name and a good keyword or 2 :)

the will do the same thing this time next year when the contracts up again.

Neustar , if youre reading this, please move over and let another company work there magic on .us

i can guarantee this will fail in a major way, juts like everything else the have done.

kids.us
zipcode
directory
($1,000,000 they were going to invest in .us)
There blog

and everything else.

•••
The censorship policy of the .US registry, as directed by the U.S. government, hasn't helped matters.

As it stands now, .US is risky - and my experience with F*uckCensorship.US being retroactively disabled, along with many others, by the .US registry is proof-positive of that.

Ron

•••
We can’t pass judgment without knowing all the facts, some of this might have to do with the politics of the Internet, perhaps in the past some people wanted .US to be held back so that it wouldn’t become a serious competition for other extensions, but .US can’t be kept on the backburner forever, Its about time that someone brought this extension to the front stage.

As for censoring certain words, I guess most Country Code TLDs are pretty strict as to what is allowed and those policies are probably set more by the government than the operator of the registry.

-

•••
Neustar waking up. Now that's newsworthy.

•••
Neustar waking up. Now that's newsworthy.
Better late than never,

All I know is that it has been a long wait for those of us who have set their hopes on .US

-

•••
This sort of thing does nothing to generate interest in a TLD.
The only thing that generates interest in a TLD is development and use with marketing dollars behind it.

Ideally, I wish domainers would go back to sleep on .us and it would be like it was a couple years ago. Unfortunately, those days seem to be gone. Used to be the .us droplists were almost entirely sensible keywords- now, they're almost entirely domainer swill.

*sigh*

The good old days...

•••
Neustars' censorship rules are just silly...

They simply cancelled an undeveloped domain of mine: iT*ts.us....Said 'T*ts' was a 'not allowed' term for the .US extension.

Idiocy.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Blame the FCC.

Perhaps indirectly, but technically, from my understanding, it's the U.S. Dept of Commerce to blame for the .US domain restrictions.

Ron

•••
I guess you could "blame the government", but I think most haven't seen the value in the extension because it hasn't been adequately articulated. When I say I get excited about something that represents an entire US market/interest, that doesn't mean it's a market that stays w/in it's borders. Acceptance by entrepreneurs/small business, instead of a few large entities, is where we'll gain traction imo.

Exactly, who actually cares if someone like IBM or Microsoft or another major conglomerate has a .us domain hidden in the background, just taken so that no one can squat?

The only way the extension will be recognised is if a million businesses start using it over the .com, much like the .co.uk is used in the Uk doe the .de is used in Germany.

It could be said to be your own fault for worshipping the .com above all else.

Maybe you do not want something that is just yours, has the almighty United States fallen from favour or something?

•••
Those 1 letter names will be very valuable.
Although this sort of thing won't breath new life into the extension. Its just to line the pockets of the .us registry ;)

•••
The only way the extension will be recognised is if a million businesses start using it over the .com, much like the .co.uk is used in the Uk doe the .de is used in Germany.
I am not sure if there are a million businesses using .US as of yet, but if you do a search for the string below it will show that there are a lot of people who seem to have already adopted .US for their primary websites and their numbers are growing every year:

site:.us -inurl:state -inurl:ci -inurl:co -inurl:fed -inurl:k12 -inurl:lib

This one shows a lot of the corporations that are already using .US for their main website:

site:.us +inc +inurl:inc -inurl:state -inurl:ci -inurl:co -inurl:fed -inurl:k12 -inurl:lib

PS: These strings are meant to filter out the official .US websites that are used for schools, libraries, Cities, and such in order to focus more on private use.

-

•••
I don't understand why registrars don't give away some of these to the proper people.

That list imho are some of the most valuable names in the extension but it's yet to be see if any will get developed or just go to domainers for parking.

•••
I don't understand why registrars don't give away some of these to the proper people.

That list imho are some of the most valuable names in the extension but it's yet to be see if any will get developed or just go to domainers for parking.
In my opinion it might be best if they put these domains on an auction that is geared towards major end-users and then use a big part of the money that is generated by the sale of these domains to create a program that would help individuals and small businesses with developing their .US domains.

-

•••
•••
Actually there would be an initial round through some sort of RFP process.

•••
Ideally, I wish domainers would go back to sleep on .us and it would be like it was a couple years ago. Unfortunately, those days seem to be gone. Used to be the .us droplists were almost entirely sensible keywords- now, they're almost entirely domainer swill.

*sigh*

The good old days...
There are still some good opportunities to catch a few drops around this time of the year (May through July) for the domains that were originally registered during (or right after) the original landrush of April 2002.

-

•••
I don't understand why registrars don't give away some of these to the proper people.QUOTE]

Registrars sell names, they don't give them away. Registrars pay the registry.

If you're from a communist country, then names would be given to the "proper people," whatever that means.

Domain hoarders, speculators, ppc schemers, and domain auctioneers have destroyed the potential for .us. The only job of a registry, like Neustar, is to administer the extension in a fashion to maintain security and stability, not promote it so the portfolios of speculators and hoarders can increase in value.

Neustar sells names to registrars. You want Neustar to "give" names to "proper people?"

How about taking all the parked .us names from lazy speculators and give them to the "proper people?"

•••
Registrars sell names, they don't give them away. Registrars pay the registry.

If you're from a communist country, then names would be given to the "proper people," whatever that means.

Domain hoarders, speculators, ppc schemers, and domain auctioneers have destroyed the potential for .us. The only job of a registry, like Neustar, is to administer the extension in a fashion to maintain security and stability, not promote it so the portfolios of speculators and hoarders can increase in value.

Neustar sells names to registrars. You want Neustar to "give" names to "proper people?"

How about taking all the parked .us names from lazy speculators and give them to the "proper people?"

I believe that in the RFP round the “proper people” means qualified applicants with the best development proposals.

Although speculators and domain investors hold a lot of .US domains, but at least most of them are interested in resale and are open to offers, the real danger is with those companies that already have an established brand that is built around other extensions and who are only interested in defensive registrations and want to get these top .US domains only to keep them out of the hands of other businesses, this means that even though they might pay a hefty sum for these domains, but in reality they might end up just locking these valuable domains away and keeping them unused forever without the possibility of any resale. I believe that it must be made into a requirement that whoever is granted one of these domains has to develop and use it as their primary website.

PS: also I believe that according to the terms of their contract NeuStar is required to enhance the .US namespace and to promote increased usage of the usTLD.

-

Last edited:
•••
PS: also I believe that according to the terms of their contract NeuStar is required to enhance the .US namespace and to promote increased usage of the usTLD.

They have had the contract for 8 years now and no promotion that any 1 noticed has been done,

you will be very dissapointed if youre counting on neustar to make anything major to the .us namespace.
The only way .us is going forward if someone like godaddy take over it.

They are only doing this to win the contract again, not to help me, you, or any small company with .us, And not for the good of .us

I'll keep all 1000 or so of my .us names locked up untill someone other than neustar gets the contract.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back