Domain Empire

Problems with two letter-name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
There are some two-letter domain names available for register but when you go to most of the registrars and enter the name - It said "Invalid Domain Name"???????????

Any idea?

Thanks,

John

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Elaborate please. What extension? What names? Certain extensions do not allow 2 character domain names to be registered.

•••
Righto. If they're ".ORG's" (two character or two letter), if non-renewed ... they will revert back to the .ORG registry ... www.PIR.org .
These domains are not available for open registration.
B-)

•••
Two letter info's show as available in whois,but are ineligible for registration.

•••
jesus man!

2-char .infos don't even exist, same with .biz .us etc

2-char .org's can't be re-registered, and don't even look at .com and .net

Don't get into the game and start looking for 2-letters as it won't happen soon.

•••
Originally posted by icehole
jesus man!

2-char .infos don't even exist, same with .biz .us etc

2-char .org's can't be re-registered, and don't even look at .com and .net

Don't get into the game and start looking for 2-letters as it won't happen soon.

Kind of harsh but absolutely true :)

•••
Agreed with Christian! You would be considered very very lucky, or even equivalent to winning a lottery if you do! (The chances are very very slim)!

•••
Originally posted by johnn
There are some two-letter domain names available for register but when you go to most of the registrars and enter the name - It said "Invalid Domain Name"???????????

Any idea?

Hi Johnn, welcome to NamePros. If the name was a com, net, org, us, info, or biz domain, those two letter domains are not available for registration because they're permanently reserved by the registry. Any sites reporting them as available are incorrect.

•••
Yupyup! Welcome to NamePros John!!

•••
The reason I asked because I saw 7 2-letter names (.org) available and I can't register.

Now I know why!

Learning something new everyday!

Thanks all!

John,

•••
Here's the official source.

http://res-dom.iana.org/

Here's the text of the page copied:

In the .com, .net, and .org top-level domains (TLDs), various domain names are reserved. These names are reserved from initial registration, but to the extent they are already registered the existing registrant may renew them. The reserved labels are in three groups, as described below:

A. Labels Reserved at All Levels. Within .com, .net, and .org, the following labels are reserved at the second level:

ICANN-related names:

aso
dnso
icann
internic
pso

IANA-related names:

afrinic
apnic
arin
example
gtld-servers
iab
iana
iana-servers
iesg
ietf
irtf
istf
lacnic
latnic
rfc-editor
ripe
root-servers

Other names:

All single-character labels
All two-character labels

arpa
biz
com
coop
edu
gov
info
int
mil
museum
name
net
org
pro

The reservation of the above names is implemented by showing the names in the above group that are not registered to an existing registrant as sponsored under the registrar name "Reserved-Internet Assigned Numbers Authority".

B. Tagged Domain Names. All labels with hyphens in the third and fourth character positions (e.g., "bq--1k2n4h4b"). Initial registrations of tagged domain names beginning with "bq--" are made to support Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs).

C. Second-Level Reservations for Registry Operations. The following second-level names for use in connection with the operation of the registry:

nic
whois

Last edited:
•••
I just love a short domain I saw today :D
i.net

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back