IT.COM

Privacy Issue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CoolBn

Upgraded Member
Impact
I register all of my domains with privacy protection, yet I am receiving spam emails within 24hrs of registering them. Can someone please explain to me how the spammers know that a particular domain name has been registered? It is happening consistently, so I know they aren't just guessing...please see an example of the emails below. I am new to domaining, so I'd like to understand what information is public (if any) when registering a new domain name with privacy protection.

Here is the email I am receiving:

Attention: Important Notice , DOMAIN SERVICE
24 - September - 2015

PART I: REVIEW NOTICE

Attn: WHOISGUARD PROTECTED
As a courtesy to domain name holders, we are sending you this notification for your business Domain name search engine registration. This letter is to inform you that it's time to send in your registration.

Failure to complete your Domain name search engine registration by the expiration date may result in cancellation of this offer making it difficult for your customers to locate you on the web.

Privatization allows the consumer a choice when registering. Search engine registration includes domain name search engine submission. Do not discard, this notice is not an invoice it is a courtesy reminder to register your domain name search engine listing so your customers can locate you on the web.

This Notice for: (redacted) will expire at 11:59PM EST, 24 - September - 2015 Act now!

Attention: Important Notice , DOMAIN SERVICE NOTICE
Domain Name:

The information in this letter contains confidential and/or legally privileged information from the notification processing department of the ListingRegDom 1521 Alton Road Suite #464, Miami Beach, FL 33139 USA, This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you do not wish to receive further updates from ListingRegDom. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents for this letter is strictly prohibited.
3MLU3PpEEOhi0ERtRp-h6vPpIXjmkOww2EinnjvyWXE6bGEzHY_oLHy3CIyOa8zYmytKJzEja4n6FuMki_MBkbDnMWfgrWbt8ZX4Y1PwnoLV6gID3Fj-orZ4860K=s0-d-e1-ft

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I am not concerned about the contents of the email, but I want to know how they know every domain I am registering with privacy protection within 24/48 hours of me doing so.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I saw that story and commented on it...I am looking for a specific answer to the question of how the spamming company knows the names of privately registered domains...no one seems to know the answer to that question.

•••
They just scrap recnty registered domain and thn scrap whois data and boom mass mail spam

•••
They just scrap recnty registered domain and thn scrap whois data and boom mass mail spam
Thanks your reply...I am completely new to the industry and I don't know about the tricks of the trade that spamming companies use. So even if a domain is registered privately, there is still a list of "recently registered domains" that is public info, correct?

•••
Thanks your reply...I am completely new to the industry and I don't know about the tricks of the trade that spamming companies use. So even if a domain is registered privately, there is still a list of "recently registered domains" that is public info, correct?
Yes
your email will look like this [email protected]
but this email address forward all incoming mail to domain owner mail

•••
There's no such thing as a privately registered domain. All domain registrations are public. The privacy applies only to domain ownership. In the case of ownership privacy, there is still a public record that generally includes a forwarding email to your actual email as noted in the above post.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks your reply...I am completely new to the industry and I don't know about the tricks of the trade

did you know that "domain privacy" was a trick of the trade too?

it's something you don't really need, but some registrars charge you for using it.

and end the end, the whole purpose for using it, has been defeated, as you have seen

imo....

•••
Well sorta defeated. Ones name, mailing address and email is still private and not public record. Privacy is different from spam-free. IMHO.

At the same time uniregistry doesn't charge for it and they're pretty awesome thus far.

•••
I would add, that if you are buying domains to resell, which I assume is why you are here, you may want to reconsider using privacy settings. Many would argue, and I agree, that you want a potential buyer to have easy access and to get a confident feeling when approaching you regarding a purchase. having your name and business name will go a lot further in getting that inquiry.

•••
did you know that "domain privacy" was a trick of the trade too?

it's something you don't really need, but some registrars charge you for using it.

and end the end, the whole purpose for using it, has been defeated, as you have seen

imo....

I only spend .99 cents per domain for the privacy, so prior to me discovering that all registered names are public record, I thought it was worth the cost.

I currently purchase domains as an individual, rather than as a company. Would you suggest that I change the way I register them rather than pay for privacy?

Last edited:
•••
I would add, that if you are buying domains to resell, which I assume is why you are here, you may want to reconsider using privacy settings. Many would argue, and I agree, that you want a potential buyer to have easy access and to get a confident feeling when approaching you regarding a purchase. having your name and business name will go a lot further in getting that inquiry.
Great advice! I just joined Domain Pros yesterday and the community is already helping me to retool my (newbie) strategy. Thanks for your insight.

•••
Well sorta defeated. Ones name, mailing address and email is still private and not public record. Privacy is different from spam-free. IMHO.

At the same time uniregistry doesn't charge for it and they're pretty awesome thus far.
I currently use Namecheap and they charge 99 cents...I will check out Uniregistry. Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back