IT.COM

PrimeRateBlog.com Vs PrimeRate.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
When I saw PrimeRate.com sell for $110,000.00 I registered the domain name PrimeRateBlog.com.

So I did not think this was an infringment or I would not have registered the name. It seemed to me that "PrimeRate" is not the name of a business or company,or a product. Now I am afraid that I might have trouble selling the name PrimeRateBlog.com or that I might be infringing on their name.

Suggestions, comments, or ideas on this one?

meljr

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Although I'm no lawyer, I'm pretty sure you are on solid ground. "Prime rate" is a generic financial term. Here's the definition:

The Prime Interest Rate is the interest rate charged by banks to their most creditworthy customers (usually the most prominent and stable business customers). The rate is almost always the same amongst major banks. Adjustments to the prime rate are made by banks at the same time; although, the prime rate does not adjust on any regular basis. The rates reported below are based upon the prime rates on the first day of each respective month. (Source: Moneycafe.com)

•••
Actually, the definition has nothing to do with TM law. The correct answer is there is a registered TM for prime rate in the field of hotel reservations. Though generic in nature, if the OP used the domain in this field, there could be a challenge.

So, using he logic from spikodo, windows is not a TM either, right???? Here is the definition I found...

win·dow ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wnd)
n.

An opening constructed in a wall or roof that functions to admit light or air to an enclosure and is often framed and spanned with glass mounted to permit opening and closing.
A framework enclosing a pane of glass for such an opening; a sash.
A pane of glass or similar material enclosed in such a framework.

An opening that resembles a window in function or appearance.
The transparent panel on a window envelope.
The area or space immediately behind a window, especially at the front of a shop.
A means of access or observation: St. Petersburg was Peter the Great's window onto the Baltic.
An interval of time during which an activity can or must take place: a brief window of opportunity for a space mission; a window of vulnerability during which the air force was subject to attack.
Strips of foil dropped from an aircraft to confuse enemy radar; chaff.
A range of electromagnetic frequencies that pass unobstructed through a planetary atmosphere.
Computer Science. A rectangular area on the screen that displays its own file or message independently of the other areas of the screen.
Aerospace.
A launch window.
An area at the outer limits of the earth's atmosphere through which a spacecraft must pass in order to return safely.

•••
So Philip, this shows what I know about it. I thought it had something to do with Banking prime rate. So then if the blog was about lending or banking, do you think that would still be an infringment? If the blog was about hotel reservations, that would certainly be looking for trouble.

meljr

•••
If I were you I would develope it into a blog about the financial prime rate. Then sell it as a whole site.

D

•••
Please, call me Phil :)

TM law can be tricky, especially with domain names. There are many factors involved with domain names like usage and intent.

As far as this domain, I would use it as a financial site (not just limited to banking). primerate.com actually is redirected to mortgagapprovals.com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back