IT.COM

Pricing Strategy for Generic Domains??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OTF

Established Member
Impact
While I registered some generic domains for my own projects, I have also registered few that I thought my be good for resale.

It is my understanding that the opinion on generic domains is quite divided so I would appreciate if those that have negative opinion on generic domains and are not registering any gTLDs would not response because while these my be worthless to you there may or may not be a potential in these.

If you have registered some or if you are planning on getting some generic domains, what is your strategy and how are you looking to price your domains compare to .com domains?

Are you looking for top dollars long term or do you prefer quick sale for (probably) less money?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. the name must always make sense , example : renta.limo (rent a what? a limo, makes sense ?)
2. stick to dotCOM ;)

•••
Curiouser and Curiouser...

Just be careful and be sure to read registry terms.

For example, .wed domains will cost about $150 per year for the first two years.

For year three and beyond, the cost jumps to $30,000.

I'm not kidding, either. See Domain Incite:

As one NP'er (scandiman) pointed out in another thread:

"What a Fuster Cluck" (Still chuckling over that twisted term).

•••
you cannot expect top dollar for something basically unknown, these domains are 'a hold' but for how long is the magical question ??

•••
The problem is not to price domains, but to find buyers first.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

•••
The highest nTLD sale has been horseracing.tips for $8,200. Tire.guru was sold for $5,xxx and then a few other good names for low four figures. The buyers appear to be other domainers. Yoga.guru was sold a few days back and it is listed again for sale or lease. Horseracing.tips also appears to have been bought by a domain investment firm (Domain Invest Ltd). This page lists a few more sales -
http://www.domainforum.me/t128-ntld-sales-2014

Note that this is not a single TLD release like mobi or co, and that a lot of people and companies were looking forward to the release. Several hundred TLDs are being introduced into the market in a short span of time and the expectation is that "if I don't get a name in this TLD, I'll just wait for .shop or .web". Like others have pointed out in other threads, many of these TLDs might get retired and some will emerge as winners. But this might take a few years.

Then there is the issue of SEO (who searches for "keyword guru"?). We'll see what Google does in the coming few months.

Only Amazon and Apple have actually registered their new names. The other company names that I checked are still DPML blocks. So its too early to tell whether these new names will be adopted by large companies as secondary domain names.

I say if you can, hold on to your names for now and avoid selling for a minuscule profit. But that also depends on the name, the offer and the renewal fees.

:imho:

•••
what is your strategy and how are you looking to price your domains compare to .com domains?

Are you looking for top dollars long term or do you prefer quick sale for (probably) less money?

:talk:

Hi

the strategy should be the same, regardless to which "keyword.extension" you're trying to pawn off.

the "probability" of success, of the plan....increases and shrinks at the same time, depending on what extension and what keywords you acquire, along with your knowledge and understanding of "domain cycles ** ".

with .com, probability is higher and safer, because it is established and trusted.

new.gtld's can't bring that to the table with them.

you can only express hope and desire, in a sales pitch.

therefore, the probabilities (of success) are lower and the risk level is higher.

** domain cycles, refers to when to get in...if you're gonna get in, followed by......when to get out.

that, is a key factor when measuring success, as an "end-result".

Good Luck!

imo....

•••
The highest nTLD sale has been horseracing.tips for $8,200. Tire.guru was sold for $5,xxx and then a few other good names for low four figures. The buyers appear to be other domainers. Yoga.guru was sold a few days back and it is listed again for sale or lease. Horseracing.tips also appears to have been bought by a domain investment firm (Domain Invest Ltd). ...
That should as no surprise.
Domaining has always been fueled by the greater fool theory.

•••
That should as no surprise.
Domaining has always been fueled by the greater fool theory.

Well, if an end user had bought the domain name, the price would have been higher, considering the fact that "horse racing tips" has 70,000 monthly searches.

•••
The highest nTLD sale has been horseracing.tips for $8,200. Tire.guru was sold for $5,xxx and then a few other good names for low four figures. The buyers appear to be other domainers. Yoga.guru was sold a few days back and it is listed again for sale or lease. Horseracing.tips also appears to have been bought by a domain investment firm (Domain Invest Ltd). This page lists a few more sales -
http://www.domainforum.me/t128-ntld-sales-2014

Note that this is not a single TLD release like mobi or co, and that a lot of people and companies were looking forward to the release. Several hundred TLDs are being introduced into the market in a short span of time and the expectation is that "if I don't get a name in this TLD, I'll just wait for .shop or .web". Like others have pointed out in other threads, many of these TLDs might get retired and some will emerge as winners. But this might take a few years.

Then there is the issue of SEO (who searches for "keyword guru"?). We'll see what Google does in the coming few months.

Only Amazon and Apple have actually registered their new names. The other company names that I checked are still DPML blocks. So its too early to tell whether these new names will be adopted by large companies as secondary domain names.

I say if you can, hold on to your names for now and avoid selling for a minuscule profit. But that also depends on the name, the offer and the renewal fees.

:imho:

If it were me I'd take any new tld profits off the table the instant they present themselves. Way too many other options vying for a buyers attention.

The problem is not to price domains, but to find buyers first.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

For folks hoping to sell their new tld registrations this is good advice. With new tld releases coming for years it will be very difficult to find or build hype around a single one in the domaining community, and waiting for awareness and demand among end users will be expensive to hold on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back