IT.COM

advice Pricing domains

NameSilo
Watch

DomainFlipper1995

Impact
What is the best method for determining a domains value. Up until now I've been using estibot along with various metrics such as CPC, backlinks, trustflow etc...however recently I posted a domain for sail and then noticed on afternic there were other domains with a similar name listed for alot more. I'm wondering what people who have experience doing this think is the best way to assess your domains value.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There isn’t a clear cut answer it depends on alot of things. And value can change. One thing most agree on is the valuators are worthless.

Place to start is spending some time on NameBio.com and look for comparable sales. Now there are many wholesale sales listed there but it will still give you a feel for your keywords strength. You should look at prices on names similar to yours if any.

Last edited:
•••
What is the best method for determining a domains value.
@DomainFlipper1995
To what @karmaco said I add 2 more aspects

a) how much time do you plan to sell that domain.
Are you in a hurry, is it near expiration and you won't renew, do you want to get rid of it...

b) who are you targeting - if any.
E.g. if you are targeting end-users in form of companies, probably there aren't a lot of potential buyers, but on the other hand companies in general have a bigger budget than individuals.

•••
Lots of prices listed can be categorized as "wishful thinking," and just because one was sold at a high price, it does not mean there is a trend. On the other hand, your unique name may be super valuable to some companies and they are willing to spend more than average.

There are many factors such as trend, length, economy, personal connections, and even luck. Because every name is unique, you will have to learn what works for you.

•••
however recently I posted a domain for sail
Hi

for sail?

if comparable names are priced higher than yours, and neither their names nor your name have sold yet....
then what does that mean?

some names won't sell/sale or sail.... no matter what the price is.
and, there are some names you can't give away for free

price is basically based on quality, appeal, demand and usage potential.
the more of each of those criteria and other factors that a domain has, tends to increase it's value and therefore the price.

but the domain owner must know it's value and the buyer must realize the potential asset they could acquire.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
I'm rubbush at estimating prices. For example, I sold Forex24.com a few years ago for £250. It turns out it was the trading name of a Swiss bank. Goodness knows how much they would have paid, if I had done some research before quoting a price, I did dicuss the name here, and the general opinion was that it was not worth anything. I guess that in the end it depends how much it is worth to the buyer. That's a trite statement, and I don't know how you can discover his buying limit. It's probably a question of negotiation. I've had 3 different enquiries for OffgridRV.com, and they seemed to be from different locations in the US. They all stated that it was the name of their businesses. I asked for 0.2 Bitcoin from the last enquirer, and I didn't hear any more from him. GD values the name at $1,800+, so I didn't think I was that far out in my request.
Some years ago I received a phone call from a guy who just said "How much do you want for YachtBits.com". He caught me out, and my knee jerk response was £250. His instant reply was "Where do I send the cheque?" It turns out he owned the co.uk, and he was starting to sell internationally. All of those name were ones I picked up for reg fee, and I suspect my thinking was clouded by the low acquisition cost. I've now learnt that the price you paid has nothing to do with the potential sale price.

•••
Assuming these are at least somewhat premium domains this info will help. These are the broad typical ranges. As a general rule sales will increase marginally on the lower end and waiting time for sales will increase on the higher end. This of course does not apply to ultra premium domains.

< 1k = Low
1-5 K = Middle
5k + = High

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back