Domain Empire

strategy Price set based on buyer's profile

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

my.domain

Impact
Hello everyone!

Here's a brief introduction about myself. I'm not involved in the domain business, but around 5 years ago, I happened to register a domain and I've never actually used it. Now, surprisingly, an interested buyer has reached out to me about it.

I understand that domain pricing is a complex process, involving numerous factors to consider. To keep it short, my question is whether it's a common practice in the domain business to set a price based on the buyer's annual balance?

Many thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's not like the price is in some specific ratio to the buyers annual income, but you would most likely ask for a higher price if you know you are dealing with a buyer with a lot of money that wants it... if that's what you are asking

•••
No it is not common practice to price domains based on buyers annual balance !
And if you decided so how you will know the annual balance ? Are you going to ask the buyer about his/her annual balance !! That’s not logic .

•••
Are you comfortable posting the name in this thread - you can mask it so Goog won't index it well for the keyword/s. For example, if the domain is StupidHead.com, write it out something like S / T / U / P / I / D + H // E / A / D (in dot com).

The reason it's a good idea for you to get our appraisal: new techs pop up, fads pop up, superhot keywords pop up. So you may have registered it for the basic reg fee a few years ago and now you think it doesn't have much value... but 5 years later, depending on the domain and niche, what was a reg-fee domain could now be worth thousands or tens of thousands $$.

That is, of course, a wild shot in the dark. But it happens surprisingly often when keywords take off or new tech arrives. Since you are not 'up' on the domaining industry, best to get more info on your specific domain, rather than possibly getting cheated, if the domain truly does have some strong current value. You might think "Wow, they offered me $500!!", and then find out later it's the kind of hot, current keyword domain that could have sold for 25K.

Your asking price should not be based upon the buyer's bank account, but rather what the current market value range of the domain is. If you post the name here - or in the appraisals section - we can give you some much better suggestions.

It's always nice to receive interest from a buyer. Gives you the edge, when someone approaches you for your domain.

That doesn't mean your domain is hugely valuable. Might have almost zero value other than to you or this other entity. It also might have a healthy value, or - ideally - a very strong value. There are other things to consider. I'm assuming you did some homework - or the buyer made it obvious who they are, rather than hiding behind a domain broker or fake id - and you are confident the buyer is a large company?

Welcome to Namepros :)

Last edited:
•••
Are you comfortable posting the name in this thread - you can mask it so Goog won't index it well for the keyword/s. For example, if the domain is StupidHead.com, write it out something like S / T / U / P / I / D + H // E / A / D (in dot com).

The reason it's a good idea for you to get our appraisal: new techs pop up, fads pop up, superhot keywords pop up. So you may have registered it for the basic reg fee a few years ago and now you think it doesn't have much value... but 5 years later, depending on the domain and niche, what was a reg-fee domain could now be worth thousands or tens of thousands $$.

That is, of course, a wild shot in the dark. But it happens surprisingly often when keywords take off or new tech arrives. Since you are not 'up' on the domaining industry, best to get more info on your specific domain, rather than possibly getting cheated, if the domain truly does have some strong current value. You might think "Wow, they offered me $500!!", and then find out later it's the kind of hot, current keyword domain that could have sold for 25K.

Your asking price should not be based upon the buyer's bank account, but rather what the current market value range of the domain is. If you post the name here - or in the appraisals section - we can give you some much better suggestions.

It's always nice to receive interest from a buyer. Gives you the edge, when someone approaches you for your domain.

That doesn't mean your domain is hugely valuable. Might have almost zero value other than to you or this other entity. It also might have a healthy value, or - ideally - a very strong value. There are other things to consider. I'm assuming you did some homework - or the buyer made it obvious who they are, rather than hiding behind a domain broker or fake id - and you are confident the buyer is a large company?

Welcome to Namepros :)

Thank you everyone for your replies. Bannen, I especially appreciate your patience and detailed answer.

You're right, the value of my domain name is a shot in the dark. It could be worth a significant amount or almost nothing, depending on how interested the buyer is. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to know for sure.

Resuming my negotiation timeline, the buyer has already identified himself directly and has already offered an amount that is higher than the appraisals:

GoDaddy: USD 350
Humbleworth: USD 3,000
Estibot: offline, i couldn't check it

I would appreciate some advice on the appraisal, but I'm not comfortable revealing the domain name just yet. I can tell that it's not a .com, it's a .com.mycountry, single word and is a color name. Upon a quick comparison, I translated the color name to english and added .com. surprisingly, both Saw and Humbleworth estimated the value to be really significant.

Keeping this realistic (feet on the ground), I don't see this as holding a lottery ticket. My objective is to make the most out of this offer without coming across as too greedy or putting myself at a disadvantage by selling it for too little, one thing i've learned here in NamePros is that, .com domains are the real thing for being international.

For those curious about how I arrived at the idea of pricing my domain based on the company's balance sheet, it's because the company is public limited, and they regularly release their balance sheet to the public and they are a big company, top 5 in their segment.

•••
If it's a .com.(your country), there may be some sales comps to see on Namebio.com. Try that site, use the filters to put in your extension and see if they report sales on that extension (I think they report most or all .com.country extensions). See if that country code extension has any/many reported sales (it may, of course, have numerous unreported sales). If it has many, you can also try the search with your keyword, see if any domains with your keyword and country code have reported sales.

Good luck!

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back