IT.COM

status-resolved Posts being Disliked

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have responded in a thread and another np member has disliked my post, should I receive an Alert?

Thank you in advance

Cheers
Corey

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've never received an alert for a dislike.

(I disliked your post to demonstrate there was no alert again)

Last edited:
•••
Grilled is correct - There is no alert for a dislike, some time ago I asked, and we did the same disliking each others posts to test for confirmation.

It also does not UN notify you if someone Likes or Thanks and then later UnLikes or UnThanks

So @Corey I Thanked your post then removed it so you can see how it shows up in your alerts.

•••
•••
OK would everyone be so kind as to DISLIKE this post #5 of mine? I wanna test something so if several members will dislike, will report results after the test.

•••
Pretty sure that Dislikes do not carry any weight in account restrictions, only actual reports

@Amanda - would you be so kind to clarify if this is correct?

Reports can result in account restrictions
Dislikes are weighted lower or not at all in account restriction

•••
Pretty sure that Dislikes do not carry any weight in account restrictions, only actual reports

@Amanda - would you be so kind to clarify if this is correct?

Reports can result in account restrictions
Dislikes are weighted lower or not at all in account restriction
If I remember correctly, enough "dislikes "will put you on " staff''s radar"....dont think the politics thread counts lol

Ladies since none of you served me divorce papers, I refuse to "dislike" you.

•••
The thinking was:

If you get a big red dislike alert (like you used to) you will go steamrolling to the thread and start a fight. Better to not say anything

•••
Correct, our system doesn't have the ability to notify on Dislike. We don't plan to add that, because it wouldn't be constructive and it would result in more tension among some members.

The dislike feature should never be used to attack someone, as that would be against the rules. It's fine to use it for things like disagreeing or disliking sad news, but if you go around disliking an unusual number of someone's posts, we will issue a warning for that due to harassment.

There is a running tally that keeps track of how many dislikes you have (And how many dislikes you have given), and we are able to see that. We sometimes investigate those members to see why the number is large, but the tally isn't shown publicly anywhere. We showed the tally publicly for a brief time but changed that years ago to only show to staff.

Hope that helps,

•••
Personally I'd like to get notifications for dislikes.
Not to fight back but because they are feedback to something you wrote (with the exception of occasional acts of petty revenge). Seeing a dislike gives you a chance to reconsider your comments, which may offended someone, for good or bad reasons.
At present it is information lost - most of the time.

•••
If we want to act in a real democratic environment, so ''like'' and ''dislike'' buttons should be equal. Everyone has the right to have another opinion. The only demand is to say why you believe what you believe.

Note: My dislikes in this thread are humoristic.

•••
3 dislikes for me in one posting! Has to be a " record for me on Namepros"!

•••
•••
@briguy do you know why?
Thinking cause it is a thread on dislikes, pretty sure it is not because I refuse to "dislike" the ladies (unless they have served me divorce papers..lol)

•••
Personally I'd like to get notifications for dislikes.
Not to fight back but because they are feedback to something you wrote (with the exception of occasional acts of petty revenge). Seeing a dislike gives you a chance to reconsider your comments, which may offended someone, for good or bad reasons.
At present it is information lost - most of the time.
That's a mature perspective about dislikes. Unfortunately, we have to deal with a lot of issues due to dislikes from members that are not as mature, and it's an issue we wouldn't want to make worse. We've considered removing "dislike" because these issues take up a lot of our time and they're not easily resolved when it's abused in a passive aggressive way, especially by members who get infuriated when another member they have a feud with uses it. It's not constructive in those examples.

There might be a way we can enable/disable it for certain members once our developers have time to look into the practicality of offering that as a feature, because you're right that it can be used in positive ways too. (Added to our idea consideration/suggestion list)

Thanks for your feedback,

•••
We've considered removing "dislike" because these issues take up a lot of our time and they're not easily resolved when it's abused in a passive aggressive way

Why not leave them alone and not bother dealing with issues? It's your choice to waste time on them isn't it? For real issues, that's what the "report" buttons are for. I don't know why people get bent out of shape over "dislikes" as it has so little impact on life as we know it.

What about an alert that says "so and so reacted to your post" that covers all alerts without differentiation and would be extremely easy to implement and try out. It will stop people honing on on dislike responses by not knowing if it was one or the other when looking at alerts - it takes the "I'll show them" attitude out of chasing a dislike.

Of course it will have no impact on inflammatory posts and responses as people will go back and check those for dislikes anyway. That's the point of the post - incitement is incitement.

Last edited:
•••
Asked " should I receive an Alert? "

Answered " our system doesn't have the ability to notify on Dislike "

End of story!

Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back