Dynadot

.mobi Post your questions here for Pinky Brand of Dot Mobi

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Post your questions here for Pinky Brand of Dot Mobi

Many of us enjoyed the online chat here at NamePros with Pinky Brand of the Dot Mobi group. As he was leaving the chat, Mr. Brand mentioned that he would enjoy coming back for another visit. According to RJ (who put a lot of effort into setting up the first chat - thank you again RJ) at the time they agreed in approximately six months. So in the meantime, I wondered if it would be possible to submit questions for Mr. Brand without him having to join us live. Maybe this way we can get some answers to some of the lingering questions that have been bantied about the boards that last couple months as well as some more insight into the goings on at mtld.mobi.

I ran it by RJ and received the OK to gather questions from members here at NP.
To make this efficient, here's how it will work:

1. Post all your new questions here in this thread by FEBRUARY 10, 2007. This should give everyone plenty of time to think about their questions ... and still watch the Superbowl.
2. Please respect everyone's time. Keep the questions concise, relevant, and of course professional. One or two sentences maximum.
3. Read through the questions already posted so that you do not duplicate them.
4. I will consolidate all the questions posted to this thread and will pass them on to RJ. He will inturn submit them to Mr. Brand for his consideration and comments as his schedule permits.
5. Before you post, please read through the transcrypt of the first chat session. Here is the link to the recap of the first chat.
6. This is not meant to be a pro-mobi vs. con-mobi thread - Please only post questions here. Thanks.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to the questions (and of course ... the answers.)

-acc

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. After the initial RFP names are announced at TRAFFIC, what is the process and how quickly do you anticipate rolling out the remaining premium and reserved names?

2. From what types of companies have you seen the biggest interest in premium names through the RFP process, i.e. Travel, Financial, Consumer Goods, Health, Etc. If able to can you mention some of the names of the companies that have applied or have been approved for Premium/Reserved names?

•••
:hi:

* Can you please elaborate and go into specifics of the consumer awareness campaign intiatives beginning in 2007? :gl:

* In detail, how are you working with your investors (the browser folks and the operating system folks) towards the goal of defaulting to the .MOBI? Do you agree that this needs to occur, and if so ... when will it occur? :blink:

* Some of the .Mobi's investors include Ericsson, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung Electronics, and T-Mobile and Vodafone, etc. ... can you please disclose the nature of the investments (dollars or %'s, dates and amounts of past and future scheduled investments)? :$:

Thank you very kindly.
-Jeff B-)

•••
What is being done to promote the .mobi in Spanish markets in 22 countries around the world?

•••
How to deal with fake registrations during landrush?

These registrations are all suspicious.
teens.mobi
360.mobi

The following names owned by the same guy!!
toys.mobi
222.mobi
333.mobi - Trademark Name:222 obviously fake!
345.mobi
Sponsoring Registrar:HiChina Web Solutions (Hong Kong) Limited (420)
Registrant Email:[email protected]

NO one could own NNN Trademarks!
But tons of NNN names were registered by TRADEMARK!

•••
Jeff said:

* Can you please elaborate and go into specifics of the consumer awareness campaign intiatives beginning in 2007? :gl:

* In detail, how are you working with your investors (the browser folks and the operating system folks) towards the goal of defaulting to the .MOBI? Do you agree that this needs to occur, and if so ... when will it occur? :blink:

* Some of the .Mobi's investors include Ericsson, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung Electronics, and T-Mobile and Vodafone, etc. ... can you please disclose the nature of the investments (dollars or %'s, dates and amounts of past and future scheduled investments)? :$:

Thank you very kindly.
-Jeff B-)

good questions.. i hope he answers (at least 1 of em)

•••
I'd like to know...

Will you be utilizing upcoming T.R.A.F.F.I.C. events and other domaining events to auction off premiums? Also will you be utilizing popular domain selling sites and forums as well to auction off additional premiums?

•••
Why does the mTLD want .mobi sites to be developed only in xml?
Talented designers use codes that utilize Ruby, Flash, or cHTML (for older NTT phones). For example, allowing Flash on a dot mobi site would ameliorate the Mobile Web experience.

Thank You,

Michael

•••
Jeff said:

-Jeff B-)

Yes, these two questions are key.
Pinky?
Thanks

•••
How will it be possible for mTLD to monitor all .mobi sites to ensure they are developed utilizing mobi standards? Is the threat of possibly losing your site enough to prevent improper usage or are there controls in place to ensure all .mobi sites are mobi compliant?

•••
QUESTIONS FOR PINKY:
1) When will MOBI modify development standards in light of new mobile technologies (Iphone)?
2) Are there any marketing milestones that we can look forward to in 2007?
3) Is MTLD aware of its loud consumer evangelists?

RECOMMENDATION
Place simple content on the top 500 MOBI undeveloped sites... finance, business, sex, sports, etc... Consumers who are typing in these keywords and are getting no feedback, are likely getting discouraged to type in more secondary keywords. Please reinforce this exploratory behavior.

MY PHILOSOPHY ON MOBI
MOBI should be only loosely tied to development advantages.
MOBI should position itself to mobile alternative to COM - the mobile destination.
- Much like country code TLDs.
- Much like ORG in the early days.

BACKGROUND ON JEREMY PADAWER
- Domainer for 10 years.
- Sold act.com for $500,000 in 2000
- Sold 50 other generic COM names in 1999-2001.
- JD/MBA (University of Tennessee / Vanderbilt)
- 7 years in consumer packaged goods toys
- 186 generic MOBI names from landrush phase.
- MOBI consumer advocate.

•••
Considering that most second and third tier domains registered by domainers might not get noticed by the public and corporations , wouldn’t it be better to release the premium names faster in order to accelerate the acceptance of the extension, why wait two years to release the premium names, wouldn’t that slow down the huge progress that have already been achieved.

•••
Great Job

Hi.

Dot Mobi is the greatest groundfloor business opportunity I have seen ever come along in my life, Thank You.

It is very hot, so far very viral globally. Congratulations on a fiery start and all the great work done in the past to get so many key corporate registrations and support.

My question involves generally how things are going with the MTLD Dot Mobi business consortium. How would you say the outreach is fairing and operating?

We were all excited by NBA.mobi; and, now hope for business consortium partners Google and Mircrosoft to use stand alone .mobi sites instead of "mobile.company.com" etc. I understand that DotMobi is only 17 weeks old to date and timeliness is critical.. one does not need to act prematurely.. however the implications of a Google.mobi or MSN.mobi are tremendous. It would reverberate tremors throughout the industry, coupling DotMobi further alongside the mobile revolution we are witnessing.. frankly, how close are we? ..and how are other similar, timely, business goals coming along?

Kind Regards,

Yelo

Last edited:
•••
BocaVision said:
Why does the mTLD want .mobi sites to be developed only in xml?
Talented designers use codes that utilize Ruby, Flash, or cHTML (for older NTT phones). For example, allowing Flash on a dot mobi site would ameliorate the Mobile Web experience.

Thank You,

Michael

i totally agree here ... rich content is driving the mobile web, so how does one stay compliant and still deliver what consumers want?

•••
jeremyp said:
RECOMMENDATION
Place simple content on the top 500 MOBI undeveloped sites... finance, business, sex, sports, etc... Consumers who are typing in these keywords and are getting no feedback, are likely getting discouraged to type in more secondary keywords. Please reinforce this exploratory behavior.

I really like this recommendation. Please suggest it to Pinky.

•••
why is it that my mobi site scores 5 out 5, but with few error not good enough for showcase on dotmobi , when there is other sites with a score of 3 out of 5...??

why is dotmobi promoting sitegalore, when they are publishing sites, that is not approved by dotmobi... a bit confusing since i spend two days using their site builder to only get a letter from dotmobi saying your site is not acceptable.... i did not develop it, sitegalore did...????

•••
At DomainFest earlier this week I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Pinky face-to-face. I told him about the existence of this thread, and he said he'd be glad to answer some more questions. So keep them coming. After February 10th, I'll compile them all and let him know we're ready. :)

•••
Something that has been on my mind from the beginning, not an very important question but just a curiosity question.

Why does the official mobi website has such a poor domain?

I mean pc.mtld.mobi is not that memorable and concise.
Is this decision based on a regulatory requirement?

It doesn't help in my opinion with the branding of the .mobi registry and promotion.

.eu = Eurid.eu
.us = NIC.us

and so on are all concise and memorable domains.

It just makes me wonder why a domain like mobi.mobi hasn't been used?

•••
Damion said:
Something that has been on my mind from the beginning, not an very important question but just a curiosity question.

Why does the official mobi website has such a poor domain?

I mean pc.mtld.mobi is not that memorable and concise.
Is this decision based on a regulatory requirement?

It doesn't help in my opinion with the branding of the .mobi registry and promotion.

.eu = Eurid.eu
.us = NIC.us

and so on are all concise and memorable domains.

It just makes me wonder why a domain like mobi.mobi hasn't been used?

i always use .. http://www.mobi

•••
LOL, never was aware of that.

•••
Thanks, RJ.
Did you get me a t-shirt from DomainFest? :red: :guilty:

Thank you, Pinky, as well! :tu:
See you soon.
-Jeff B-)

•••
-RJ- said:
At DomainFest earlier this week I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Pinky face-to-face. I told him about the existence of this thread, and he said he'd be glad to answer some more questions. So keep them coming. After February 10th, I'll compile them all and let him know we're ready. :)

RJ...your very appreciated to be sure...keep up the great work !

•••
I have just a general question for Pinky. :) And pardon if someone has already commented or asked.

Did you develope your own site "pinky.mobi" yourself or did you have someone else do it for you? And I just wanted to say I am glad to see that you developed your .mobi name.

One more question...do you own any other .mobi's?

Thank you,

Kerri :)

•••
Dear Mr. Pinky Brand,

I would like to know your exact budget from the profits you are gaining from .mobi. How much is going back into advertising, and how much is going back in the form of dividends. Do you have a quarterly financial statement i can look at, would like to see how you are investing your funds. Are these so called "backers" in for the quick money (return on stock investment) or actually backing the concept.

Thanks,
Sam

•••
Only a couple days left to ask your questions

Some excellent questions for Pinky Brand so far.

You can also post a suggestion if you prefer to maybe generate a response. I especially liked this one:

"Originally Posted by jeremyp
RECOMMENDATION
Place simple content on the top 500 MOBI undeveloped sites... finance, business, sex, sports, etc... Consumers who are typing in these keywords and are getting no feedback, are likely getting discouraged to type in more secondary keywords. Please reinforce this exploratory behavior."

Only a couple days left to post your questions here: Deadline - Saturday, FEBRUARY 10, 2007.

-acc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back