Possible Scam on eBay!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chrisrockandroll

Account Suspended
Impact
Check out the following eBay bid history for the domain "THEMOONTHENMARS.COM":

Bid History

You got 9 bids by the same person, who has been an eBay member less than 30 days. Why would you keep bidding if you have the high bid?

BID SHILLING?

Also, it is hard to believe that this domain is selling for $5,000+.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Righto, doesn't look good.
Appears as though "Administrative Cancellation" has since ocurred, however. Lots of funky stuffs with domains at eBay, IMHO.
B-)

•••
The person is just going to end up paying a ton to eBay for the listing fees and closing fees. If they are actually bidding on their own item. Unless, they dodge the eBay Bill Collectors.

•••
They never sell if they do this

•••
I don't think that eBay is a good place to sell domains in the first place. Unless you pay the $100 fee for the link to be put on the home page for like 2 minutes.

•••
•••
How do you change that "thing" under your username on a post.

ex.

Chrisrockandroll
Regular <----------- That Thing.

•••
Want to hear about an eBay scam?

Ok...this guy browses eBay and looks for people selling domain names.

He makes a list of all of them everyday.

Because your name and email address is listed in the whois registry, there's no privacy for these auctions.

So he makes a list of all domain names and seller's email address and waits.

Then, about 2 weeks later, he sends an email to all of the people whose names he gathered (after the auction ended).

He asks if the domain is still for sale.

He knows you're eager to sell and possibly a dreamer because you took the time to post on eBay.

So he says he's interested and wants a professional appraisal from 1 of the 3 following companies that he "trusts."

He provides links to all 3.

1 of them doesn't do appraisals.

1 is like $100+ per appraisal

1 is about $35-50 per appraisal.

In a mad rush you order the appraisal...you think you might have a buyer (what's 50 fuggin bucks when you think you might get $5,000?)

He owns the appraisal company.

He or one of his cohorts sends you the appraisal (totally inflated, probably).

Then when you recieve it you forward it to him (who you still think is a potential buyer) via email.

The !@!$!! writes back that he is going to look for a buyer...can he keep any money above the appraisal amount?

(This is the brush off...i.e. they got the appraisal cash and are cuttin out...they say they'll contact you up to 40 days)

That's it!

I am almost sure this dude gets his "hot scam leads" from eBay domain name listings.

The reason is, my site didn't have a for sale page or nothin...how did he know it was for sale other than the fact that I posted a "test the waters" add on eBay to see if the domain would go.

If you get an email from an @rock.com email address, delete it!

I can't remember the name of the bogus appraisal company...that isn't that important.

Make any potential buyer pay themself for any appraisal.

This is obvious to a seasoned domaineer, but it's the perfect scam targeted at the newbie speculator.

Go to namepros instead;)

Jesse G.
"Don't Pay Your Web Host $1,400 Per Hour...Host Extra Domain Names FREE!!!"
Visit http://www.ebizhowto.com

•••
Originally posted by Chrisrockandroll

ex.

Chrisrockandroll
Regular <----------- That Thing.

The title thing

•••
Great post, JGjg ... and, yes, we have discussed this narly "scheme" here on the Namepros site in the past.
Appreciate the warning to the membership.
B-)

That changes automatically with your number of posts, to the forum defaults Chris. You can change/update it here:
User Control Panel > Edit Profile > "Custom User Text: New Title:" for free once you have attained ~200 posts.
Before that time, you may purchase it at the "NP$ Store" at any time: "Change Custom Title".
All the best!

•••
That scam by jGjg is very interesting.. didn't take many brains to put that one together, but it actually did make him some money... in an illegal way of speaking, lol

•••
Re: Possible Scam on eBay!

BID SHILLING?
D-:
Isnt it called shell bidding.:tu:

•••
•••
Possilble scam on ebay.

SCAM!
Prank!

•••
Re: Re: Possible Scam on eBay!

Originally posted by holeinone
D-:
Isnt it called shell bidding.:tu:

The term is shill bidding guys;)

Heres a link to it:-

SHILL BIDDING INFO

•••
I knew it had "shill" and "bid" in it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back