votes
    17.2%

• 29 votes
  • Ended 19 years ago
  • Final results

SKG

Established Member
Impact
I thought it would be nice to see what the majority of NPers think of .TV extension actually going anywhere in the next year.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Moved to the Dot TV subforum :)

•••
I think the .tv market is quite bullish. We'll see it charge ahead and garner some new sales because the extension itself has gained momentum. It's a very appealing extension and the marketing on it has been great so far.

•••
disagree with moving a general poll about whether .tv will gain momentum in the forthcoming year to a forum of pro .tv domainers...

Derr, poll becomes a no-brainer.... Wonder what the result will be now... :lol: ?

•••
Bear! :imho:

Happy Holidays. :santa:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Your a bear because your a .commie Jeff

•••
equity78 said:
Your a bear because your a .commie Jeff

Shhhhhhh. :laugh:

:notme:

•••
There are only so many television-related companies worldwide. Only a fraction of them will opt to use a .TV domain; of this small group, most will opt for their companyname.tv instead of generics; and because of the high renewal fees for many "premium" generics, the one reaping the most out of this situation would be the .tv registrar, for whom there is near zero cost for monopolizing the good domains. The fraction of a fraction in this already small market that opts for generic .tv's (couple of dozen large companies at most?) - those will be the ones generating the talked-about genuine, great .tv sales.

Of course, IMHO. :tri:

•••
armstrong said:
There are only so many television-related companies worldwide. Only a fraction of them will opt to use a .TV domain; of this small group, most will opt for their companyname.tv instead of generics; and because of the high renewal fees for many "premium" generics, the one reaping the most out of this situation would be the .tv registrar, for whom there is near zero cost for monopolizing the good domains. The fraction of a fraction in this already small market that opts for generic .tv's (couple of dozen large companies at most?) - those will be the ones generating the talked-about genuine, great .tv sales.

Of course, IMHO. :tri:

That's discounting anyone new entering the market, of course, or any of those companies expanding into new territory. And don't forget some sales may be generated as a defensive move, a 'just in case' purchase. As a Tarp merchant, I own almost 2 dozen tarp domains, and only use 3 of them.... those 2 dozens consist of .coms, .nets, .us, etc....

•••
its a strategic guess! but i am very bullish on .tv. there seems to be a growing not declining trend towards .tv extensions :imho:

•••
Bullish overall, but a cautious bull.
Still no measurable plays on my part, but have high hopes for the NPers heavily involved.
-Allan :gl:

•••
With anything off the beaten path, it's important to be careful and skeptical. I own domains from many different extensions, but I always level things off, keeping a nice balance, and keeping my priorities straight. Plus, I use purely disposable income for these little ventures, mostly profit made from other successful domain sales.

Things like .IN, .TV, .EU, .CN, TW, etc... these are things that are pure speculation, and should not be entered into without the understanding that you might not make a penny.

All that being said...

I think the .TV extension has the ability to become a well accepted, commonly used platform for more than just television related companies, speaking of "television" in the way we know it, or think of it now.

I think it can be used for delivering or providing any type of video or visual experience. Think of it this way - a .TV web address becomes the television (so to speak) itself. With the way that television, communications and the web are merging in front of eyes already, I think it's not that far fetched.

But whatever, it's a fun thing to think about, and speculate on. :laugh:

Is it for the average domainer, or ultra-conservative investor? No.

Is it for people with development plans, geeks and StarTrek fans? Yes.

•••
Bullish! (with a Bullet)

Indeed... .TV is increasingly becoming the demarcation line between the old (text) web/sites and the new web/channels.

Media Mediums evolve in cycles... Technologically... The "book" model is being replaced by the "TV model". The old web could not handle video. The new web can and is at the stage where one family on the block has a .TV set. Within the year a third of the households/websites will have sets. Not that they will do away with their books, or radio, but they will want to complement them... and stay competitive in the visual age while maintaining a place for the "classic web" audience.

Also:
--TV ads are much more appealing, effective and profitable than print/pic ads.
--network TV content distribution is here!! (at 99 cents a minute) (really the BIG story of the year. The Video iPod buried the lead)
--because TV ads need little translation (and CC tech is built in)
--because the old centralized "few TV stations" media model is dying as on the web every site is "the media"... so why just be a "webmaster" when you could also be a TV Channel "producer"/affiliate.
--because TV has been let of its leash.

I could go on... but in summary - I"M BULLISH!!!

•••
Nice post eye...

im pleased to say ive been bleating this message for well over 18 months and to me, its not even speculation, its a foregone conclusion...

in the words of blackadder "if i have 2 beans and i add 2 more beans, what do i have?"
and the answers not "a very small casserole" :red:

•••
The tell tale sign of a good extension is when you begin to see it in print, on TV or hear about it on the radio on a regular basis. I'm seeing the extension at least once a week. That's a good sign. I don't even see .net that often.

Two things are driving .TV (as I see it right now):

Content (which is king) is moving away from text with a "over used" picture next to it. We are heading toward a richer more interactive experience.

With the eventual "meshing of "TV and Internet and every cellphone having video capabilities coupled with the fact every house in 5 years will have appliances with a video monitor on it. Lot's of "space" to market products with. It's almost like 1954 again, in that Marketers will have a "new" platform in which to "pitch" products to people. Video screens hooked to the "network" will be "everywhere.

The likelyhood that .TV will take off would be a gross understatement.

Last edited:
•••
STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 12/16/05

http://at.marketwire.com/accesstrac...let?PrId=104262&ProfileId=051205&sourceType=1

By partnering with Ericsson, sunrise will be able to offer TV services, featuring sports, entertainment and news video clips on demand, as well as 24 live local and international channels.

Ericsson will also provide sunrise with the world's quickest channel-selector solution, making mobile TV channel surfing much more convenient - changing from one channel to another needs just one click. This saves time and improves the consumer experience while watching TV on the mobile phone. The Mobile TV client is developed with an Ericsson client partner.

The sunrise-Ericsson partnership includes an integrated, hosted and managed music service based on Ericsson's Service Delivery Platform, offering consumers full-length tracks, ringtones, and wall papers from major record labels. The service, branded "sunrise musicworld", is already live and is a great success among sunrise subscribers.

Kurt Lüscher, COO of Mobile sunrise, says: "sunrise is proud to launch a mobile broadband offering with such advanced value-added services from Ericsson. We are confident that our mobile media offering will be widely accepted by our customers."

Johan Bergendahl, Vice President of Marketing at Ericsson says: "We are proud to continue our successful partnership with sunrise in such a strategic area. Mobile media is a growing area for both sunrise and Ericsson. With this partnership, we can help sunrise provide a first-class consumer experience."

The three-year managed services hosting contract, based on a revenue and risk-sharing model, includes systems integration, round-the- clock operation and maintenance of the service as well as content aggregation with some of Ericsson's leading content partners. Hosting is a fast, easy and cost-efficient way for operators to launch new services.

Ericsson is shaping the future of Mobile and Broadband Internet communications through its continuous technology leadership. Providing innovative solutions in more than 140 countries, Ericsson is helping to create the most powerful communication companies in the world.

Read more at http://www.ericsson.com

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT

Ericsson Media Relations
Phone: +46 8 719 6992
E-mail: [email protected]
About sunrise

sunrise is the leading independent telecommunications provider in Switzerland. Over 2.2 million customers enjoy the benefits of sunrise mobile, fixed network, and Internet services. The nationwide GSM dualband network provides cutting-edge mobile services to over 99% of the population. A wide range of high-quality voice and data services are provided via a high-performance fiber optic network with a total length of more than 7000 kilometers. As a founding member of the Starmap Mobile Alliance, an association of leading European mobile communications providers, sunrise offers its customers access to first-class services even while they are abroad. sunrise is the brand name of TDC Switzerland AG. The TDC Group owns 100% of the share capital of TDC Switzerland AG.

About Ericsson's Managed Services offering

Ericsson has the telecom industry's most comprehensive managed services offerings, ranging from designing, building, operating and managing day-to-day operations of a customer's network, to hosting service applications and enablers, as well as providing network coverage and capacity on demand. As the undisputed leader in managed services, Ericsson has officially announced 55 managed services contracts with operators worldwide since 2002. In all current managed services contracts, excluding hosting, Ericsson is managing networks that together serve over 50 million subscribers worldwide.

Copyright © Hugin ASA 2005. All rights reserved.

•••
Badger said:
Nice post eye...

im pleased to say ive been bleating this message for well over 18 months and to me, its not even speculation, its a foregone conclusion...

in the words of blackadder "if i have 2 beans and i add 2 more beans, what do i have?"
and the answers not "a very small casserole" :red:

THX Badger.

Your Fantasy Football site is Very well done!

See you on .TV!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back