Dynadot

status-resolved PM does not really mean private message!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well after further review it appears there are in fact ways to view PMs within forum software, I just deleted my example because I read it wrong.

Beware with PM's, take it elsewhere if you really want it private.

•••
I always assume forum admins are privy to PM's. PM's are content like other public posts. All content is stored in a database and not encrypted. Easy to read if you have admin rights and nothing better to do with your time.

Last edited:
•••
PM= private message= it's just a name.

This mean it can be viewed and read at anytime; zero doubt in this area. But the one thing I really concerned about is the registrant's information etc.

•••
also the previous employees still have access into that area etc...

•••
Publish your PGP keys and encourage others to do the same. Then you have a private exchange.

•••
I always assume forum admins are privy to PM's. PM's are content like other public posts. All content is stored in a database and not encrypted. Easy to read if you have admin rights and nothing better to do with your time.

But would they admit to that?

Therefore those who didn't know now do. :)

Last edited:
•••
Publish your PGP keys and encourage others to do the same. Then you have a private exchange.

How does that work?

•••
But would they admit to that?

Therefore those who didn't know now do. :)
I am not suggesting that the admins here or elsewhere are reading PMs. But information while in transit can be intercepted by your ISP or some three-letter agency sniffing the Internet backbone. End to end encryption protects the confidentiality of your exchanges. Sure we have https here but it can be defeated.
The other problem is that most websites are ultimately hacked at some point, and the database leaked, sometimes released publicly. The encrypted data is useless to hackers without the private keys (and passphrases).

BTW what did your original post say ?

How does that work?
There are plenty of tutorials on the net but what about this one ?

PGP is an essential survival skill if you value your privacy and when you're living in a police state, even a mild one.

Last edited:
•••
I am not suggesting that the admins here or elsewhere are reading PMs. But information while in transit can be intercepted by your ISP or some three-letter agency sniffing the Internet backbone. End to end encryption protects the confidentiality of your exchanges. Sure we have https here but it can be defeated.
The other problem is that most websites are ultimately hacked at some point, and the database leaked, sometimes released publicly. The encrypted data is useless to hackers without the private keys (and passphrases).

BTW what did your original post say ?

There are plenty of tutorials on the net but what about this one ?

PGP is an essential survival skill if you value your privacy and when you're living in a police state, even a mild one.

I will read that later, when I have time TY. The OP I made, deleted was read wrong, showed NP viewing PM's to a complaint. BUT after looking further it said the person added them to the PM's to view so I stand corrected I guess.

If not I still say forum PM's can be viewed, probably old news but still should be brought up.

•••
I just finished reviewing a total of 3 conversations (Database confirmed, 20 pages total) you had with him (He added me to them).
I made the part you missed bold. ;) Moderators cannot see private messages on NamePros.

However, they're stored in the database and if we need them for an investigation, our Tech Admin can pull them, but we've never needed to use the database for that because members will add us to the relevant conversations when we ask. It's easier to read them and reply in the actual Conversation but we can't do that unless we are invited/added to the conversation.

Please refer to our privacy policy if you have more questions about it:

Edit / Important
: All conversations about auctions must take place on NamePros. If any part of the conversation takes place elsewhere, we will not side with you on any disputes/investigations. Your account will become limited (And access to the marketplace may be revoked). We cannot verify conversations unless they take place on NamePros and we do not allow those conversations to take place elsewhere when it comes to our marketplace.

Rule 6.2.13. All communication about auctions must be carried out on NamePros.com via public or private messages. Transitioning a conversation to an off-site medium, such as email, is not allowed at anytime when discussing any aspect of an auction.​

Thanks for understanding,

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back