Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
ஜ.com ....... single letter from the tamil alphabet

any views i wonder

only occassional type ins

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My native language is Tamil and I haven't registered any Tamil IDNs. I haven't registered any because majority of the tamil websites use English to write the Tamil word.
ex: padam (movie / picture)
paatu (song)
vilayadu(play / go play)

There are type-ins for the I (ஐ) domain because there's a Tamil movie coming out with the name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_(film)

Reality: There are no buyers for Tamil IDN domains. I go to Tamil stores / watch movies / and read the newspapers and haven't seen a Tamil IDN domain used to advertise a business or product or a movie.
Example: Official Tamil ராஜபாட்டை (Rajapattai) movie website. Movie came out this year.: http://www.rajapattaimovie.com/
ராஜபாட்டை.com is available for registration.

Last edited:
•••
•••
According to Wikipedia there are 65 million Tamil speakers in the world. The language is spoken in India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, and Mauritius.
If you are a native speaker there is probably still a goldmine of good prime generic .com terms available. ;)

For the past few years I have been buying Hindi language IDN domains in .com said to be 400,000,000 plus native speakers of Hindi language.

But only a small percentage has access to the internet, though a small percentage of a ***load is still a *load of users. :P
Then there's also the issue of illiteracy, but I think it's safe to assume over 90% of those internet users can read.

While I don't know a lot about domaining, I think if you do go for these domains, Chinese, Hindi and Japanese (=Chinese) characters will be the safest bet.
Especially since eventhough there are various different language variations in China, most of them use the same characters (which have the same meaning but different pronounciation).

Plus, they're big economies. :P

Just my two cents. :)

Edit: Also, since I can see the characters with a freshly installed windows system I think it's safe to assume the tamil alphabet comes standard with windows (and probably Mac?), and since that sign is apparently popular among bloggers, if it's worth nothing as a website in Tamil, perhaps it's worth a little as a landing page for redirecting pages.

While looking for the correct way to type Tamil (as in the Tamil language (it's not Tamili or Tamilian, or anything else :P)), Wiki has a map with the distribution of people who speak Tamil around the world.
Seems it's mainly in North and South India, as well as all over the UK.
It won't let me post a link because I'm new, but you can find it in the Wiki article about Tamil language. ;)

Last edited:
•••
A while ago someone read one of threads about the tamil alphabet,he sent me a message telling me of his joy at being able to register the single letter 'e' in the tamil alphabet, he said his family were all pleased. Amazing the reach of a single letter

•••
hello,good afternoon,because now ,here is noon.heihei

......say what ?

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Did you do any re-search before you reg this domain, or this is pure luck? :p just curious :)

of all the tamil letters this one seemed to have the most search results when i did a google, it seems a popular symbol, i only have one tamil idn

•••
@evirtual1: Investing in Hindi or other Asian IDNs would worth your time and money. I'm a native speaker, have been using internet for almost 12+ years. I must accept that our Tamil language has gained popularity through blogs and independent websites, but sadly no one is ready to type the web addresses in Tamil. The reason is, we don't use Tamil keyboards here. Even the most popular websites in Tamil, don't use Tamil web addresses just because of this fact.

koodal.com, webulagam.com, keetru.com are a few popular websites for example. You bought a single letter domain name, and again it is not a pure Tamil letter. It is a derived letter from Sanskrit. I would grace delete this domain name if possible, and would invest in Japanese, or Chinese IDNs instead.

FYI, these single letter Tamil IDNs are still available for registration, as of 08:40 AM IST on Aug 06, 2012.

கா.com
கி.com
கீ.com
கு.com
கூ.com
கெ.com
கே.com
கொ.com
கோ.com
கௌ.com
ங.com
ஙா.com
ஙி.com
ஙீ.com
ஙு.com
ஙூ.com
ஙெ.com
ஙே.com
ஙை.com
ஙொ.com
ஙோ.com
ஙௌ.com
ச.com
சா.com
சி.com
சீ.com
சு.com
சூ.com
செ.com
சே.com
சை.com
சொ.com
சோ.com
சௌ.com
ஞ.com
ஞா.com
ஞி.com
ஞீ.com
ஞு.com
ஞூ.com
ஞெ.com
ஞே.com
ஞை.com
ஞொ.com
ஞோ.com
ஞௌ.com
ட்.com
ட.com
டா.com
டி.com
டீ.com
டு.com
டெ.com
டே.com
டை.com
டொ.com
டோ.com
டௌ.com
ணா.com
ணி.com
ணீ.com
ணு.com
ணூ.com
ணெ.com
ணே.com
ணை.com
ணொ.com
ணோ.com
ணௌ.com
தா.com
தி.com
து.com
தூ.com
தெ.com
தே.com
தை.com
தொ.com
தோ.com
தௌ.com
ந.com
நா.com
நி.com
நீ.com
நு.com
நூ.com
நெ.com
நே.com
நை.com
நொ.com
நோ.com
நௌ.com
பா.com
பி.com
பீ.com
பு.com
பூ.com
பெ.com
பே.com
பை.com
பொ.com
போ.com
பௌ.com
ம.com
மா.com
மி.com
மீ.com
மு.com
மூ.com
மெ.com
மே.com
மை.com
மொ.com
மோ.com
மௌ.com
ய.com
யா.com
யி.com
யீ.com
யு.com
யூ.com
யெ.com
யே.com
யை.com
யொ.com
யோ.com
யௌ.com
ர.com
ரா.com
ரி.com
ரீ.com
ரு.com
ரெ.com
ரே.com
ரை.com
ரொ.com
ரோ.com
ரௌ.com
ல.com
லா.com
லி.com
லீ.com
லு.com
லூ.com
லெ.com
லே.com
லை.com
லொ.com
லோ.com
லௌ.com
வ.com
வா.com
வி.com
வீ.com
வு.com
வூ.com
வெ.com
வே.com
வை.com
வொ.com
வோ.com
வௌ.com
ழா.com
ழி.com
ழீ.com
ழு.com
ழூ.com
ழெ.com
ழே.com
ழை.com
ழொ.com
ழோ.com
ழௌ.com
ள.com
ளா.com
ளி.com
ளீ.com
ளு.com
ளூ.com
ளெ.com
ளே.com
ளை.com
ளொ.com
ளோ.com
ளௌ.com
றா.com
றி.com
றீ.com
று.com
றூ.com
றெ.com
றே.com
றை.com
றொ.com
றோ.com
றௌ.com
ன.com
னா.com
னி.com
னீ.com
னு.com
னூ.com
னெ.com
னே.com
னை.com
னொ.com
னோ.com
னௌ.com

No one is gonna use these domain names ever, but if you want to take risk and want to invest in Tamil IDNs, well it is your choice. Best of luck. :)

Last edited:
•••
I have previously stated i have japanese and chinese idn's ...cheers

•••
@.tv,

What are your thoughts on Tamil numbers? Or more specifically, numbers 4-9? :) Interested in your opinion on this.

•••
@.tv,

What are your thoughts on Tamil numbers? Or more specifically, numbers 4-9? :) Interested in your opinion on this.

Almost the entire Tamil speaking audience has no knowledge of Tamil number system, because of the fact that these numbers are NOT in use anywhere, not even at schools too.

The only people aware of these numbers are, people born on or before 1930s. :|

•••
I think if you do go for these domains, Chinese, Hindi and Japanese (=Chinese) characters will be the safest bet.

The most valuable IMO will be:
1) Chinese- they have registered about 65%-75% of all IDNs registered according to Verisign. A billion population and a couple of million current internet users. PPC is pennies, but with enough clicks can still easily be xx and xxx per month.

2) Japanese- slow to start, but has the best potential and great PPC rates. Many think idn.idn will kickstart things in the next 2-3 years.

3) Russian- current best for traffic and PPC due to the Opera browser which is popular in Russia defaulting to .com. Russians use .rf and hardly any .com, but huge market and decent PPC.

4) Hindi...the sleeper, but as cell phones and ipads become the "computers" of the future there should be good opportunity. Many here say Hindi will only use English on the internet....Might want to plan long term with these, at least 5 + more years, maybe longer to see big appreciation. Again, a billion person market and top keywords can be had for reasonable prices.

Other- Thai, Vietnamese, Portuguese and Spanish are also very popular IDN.

•••
I will probably let this one drop and aim at wealthier economies

•••
I will probably let this one drop and aim at wealthier economies

Good idea. Mind you, if you can get really good keywords in the developing economies, go for it I say. I have அம்மா.com (Tamil for 'mother' I believe).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back