Domain Empire

domain Please Appraise 80408.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it because it is a palindrome - same forward and backwards. It may be 5 digits but I think it is well worth $XXX right now.

Wish the 4 was a 9, and 0's could be another number - but still good :) How many palindrome numerical domains are there in the NNNNN.COm area ? NNNN.COM ? I Could calculate but not many.

Thoughts ?

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Think I might use it for a page listing domains for sale etc ..

I like this name :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How many palindrome numerical domains are there in the NNNNN.COm area ?

1000 palindromes of such type (XYZYX.com where X,Y,Z all numbers) possible
including XXXXX, XYXYX and XYYYX ones... :)

•••
would that not make it as valuable as a NNN.COM ? :)

80408.COM
BURUB.COM

Are the two I hold ... I like 'em ;)

•••
Personally I cant see much value, low exact searches in google, and the fact that its a palindrome to me makes no odds, you only write domain names one way. Low - Mid $xx

•••
If its a ZIP code, it has a value. Otherwise I don't see value in any NNNNN.com domain

•••
Humbug I understand your thoughts but Chinese people tend to be superstitious. I could be wrong but I think it might have more valuable. 5-6 years will tell :)

BlaseMaster I have to heavily disagree with you. Althought they are less valuable now I think a 100% saturation and impossibility of catching NNNNN.COm is 18-24 months away. Demand will increase over the next year on reseller boards. within 4-5 years NNNNN.COM will be bare min $500 each.

It's the natural progression. The only concern I have is if Chinese migrate to NNN.cn and NNNN.cn first then it could take longer but still see mid $200 as value of typical NNNNN.Com in 5 years. It is a different market than LLLLL.COM

9 to the 5th power is much less than 26 to the 5th power.

Simple supply and demand, which can be affected only by other extensions and I think .com will ALWAYS be king, especially amongst mega corporations or people who just want to invest big - some just SEEM like they are big and like to spend a lot of money :)

P.S. I was being a smartarss when I said as valuable as NNN.COM - It worked though, got a couple responses haha

•••
Humbug I understand your thoughts but Chinese people tend to be superstitious. I could be wrong but I think it might have more valuable. 5-6 years will tell :)

That is true but then if you check most chinese people consider 4 to be unlucky....

"Four
Main article: Tetraphobia

Number 4 (四; accounting 肆; pinyin sì) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" (死 pinyin sǐ). Due to that, many numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g. Nokia cell phones (there is no series beginning with a 4),[4] Palm[citation needed] PDAs, Canon PowerShot G's series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor. (Compare with the Western practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.) In Hong Kong, some high-rise residential buildings omit all floor numbers with "4", e.g. 4, 14, 24, 34 and all 40–49 floors, in addition to not having a 13th floor. As a result, a building whose highest floor is number 50 may actually have only 35 physical floors." wikipedia

•••
Yeah - I know about that four scenario .. look at 4.cn though - there are still good sales with four involved. Heck, look at 4.cn :)

That is true but then if you check most chinese people consider 4 to be unlucky....

"Four
Main article: Tetraphobia

Number 4 (四; accounting 肆; pinyin sì) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" (死 pinyin sǐ). Due to that, many numbered product lines skip the "4": e.g. Nokia cell phones (there is no series beginning with a 4),[4] Palm[citation needed] PDAs, Canon PowerShot G's series (after G3 goes G5), etc. In East Asia, some buildings do not have a 4th floor. (Compare with the Western practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.) In Hong Kong, some high-rise residential buildings omit all floor numbers with "4", e.g. 4, 14, 24, 34 and all 40–49 floors, in addition to not having a 13th floor. As a result, a building whose highest floor is number 50 may actually have only 35 physical floors." wikipedia

•••
... Chinese people tend to be superstitious. I could be wrong but I think it might have more valuable. 5-6 years will tell :)
What specific Chinese superstition relates to or adds value to 80408.com?

... I think a 100% saturation and impossibility of catching NNNNN.COm is 18-24 months away. Demand will increase over the next year on reseller boards. within 4-5 years NNNNN.COM will be bare min $500 each.

It's the natural progression. The only concern I have is if Chinese migrate to NNN.cn and NNNN.cn first then it could take longer but still see mid $200 as value of typical NNNNN.Com in 5 years.
Similar bullish arguments were put forward here 4 years ago but I don't recall such lofty price targets. The fact is if you hand regged a non-zipcode NNNNN.com 4 years ago and kept renewing it you'd be $40 in the hole with slim odds of cashing out. Nevertheless, lightning can strike. DNjournal reports 41186.com (not a USPS zipcode) sold on AfternicDLS for $16K. A cautious investor views that sale as an anomaly. Neither that sale nor the persistent >99% reg status of the niche are reasons to inflate the prospects for random NNNNN.coms.

It is a different market than LLLLL.COM

9 to the 5th power is much less than 26 to the 5th power.

Simple supply and demand ...
10⁵ NNNNN combinations is much less than 26⁵ LLLLL and also less than 26⁴ LLLL. That population disadvantage didn't stop hoards of domainers from 'investing' wads of cash on random LLLL, L-L-L, etc dot coms at the height of the domain market. The global financial crisis fixed that. Don't expect another round of domain inflation anytime soon. It takes years for new investors to get bankrolled and broad financial markets to overheat. In the meantime I recommend limiting domain buys to names that mean something.

•••
Hey, I have a blog devoted to numerics and publish auction result data from 4.cn. It seems comparable sales show a range of about USD$10-US$40 for palindromic domains like 80408, although the presence of the 8's makes it closer to the high end. Of course, if someone wants that particular domain, it could go for much more.

5n domains also have been bought out for a couple months now. I agree with CantonSatellite on the basic supply/demand scenario that will play out in the next few years, although not necessarily on the price targets mentioned.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back