NameSilo

PHP Coding Competition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is this a good idea?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    66.7%
  • No

votes
    12.5%
  • It has good and bad points

votes
    20.8%
  • No opinion

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hey,

So, does anyone think a "PHP Coding Competition" would be a good thing to have?
(As a one-off, or regulary)

Basically, on each competition, there is a "theme", eg, ShoutBox, Generator, Class' etc...

And, you have to stick to that theme, but add as many features, and functionality as possible, this would help you chances of winning.

Good security and clean code is also a factor.

The winner will be judged on a Poll.
The scripts may differ from easy to hard

So, does anyone think it will be good to have? ;)

Let me know what you think about the idea.

Thanks,
Adrian

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think a submission system like i posted above should be used... and maybe common libraries... but i'm not sure, perhaps at least a certain percentage of it should have to be your own work.

•••
Amnezia said:
Doing all the code from scratch doesn't really represent quality coding.

Only poor coders write everything from scratch, in a comercial enviroment you're encouraged to make use of existing frameworks where ever possible.

Yes, but if everything is written from scratch it reflects the abilities of the coder on their own, rather than their abilities using the help of big chunks of code other people have written.

•••
beaver6813 said:
I think a submission system like i posted above should be used... and maybe common libraries... but i'm not sure, perhaps at least a certain percentage of it should have to be your own work.
Good idea.
Though, it would possibly be easier just to PM the script.

Mikor said:
Amnezia said:
Doing all the code from scratch doesn't really represent quality coding.

Only poor coders write everything from scratch, in a comercial enviroment you're encouraged to make use of existing frameworks where ever possible.

Yes, but if everything is written from scratch it reflects the abilities of the coder on their own, rather than their abilities using the help of big chunks of code other people have written.
Correct.

Stumbling onto Pixel2Life, choosing a PHP tutorial, and using the final code shouldn't be allowed.

If the user wants to use PEAR, Zend, ok, i'm sure that could be allowed.
I hope you see what we are meaning, Amnezia.

•••
what about if it is deemed that external frameworks/classes etc could be used then it would need to be pre approved. So if the script to be made needed to use a database then it could be stipulated that pear MDB2 could be used for example.

I 100% agree with Mikor and Hitch that the contest would need to relfect the users coding ability and not the ability to join other peoples scripts together to make 1 big script only to find very little was actually done yourself.

•••
I would be ok seeing external classes used if they were pre-defined and approved before the contest starts (so everyone has an equal shot at using them).

4. If the competition requires you to post code (Will be stated in the Starting Thread), you may add a notice, stating users may not redistribute, sell, or use your code.
Sadly, if they ignore this, there is not much that can happen.
(Most competitions may not require code to be posted)

Perhaps we should agree on a licensing schema like this one for code entered into the competition. It would be helpful to the competition if viewers could view the final entries. Programmers could then specify their terms of attribution, like requiring a link to their site be included if someone uses the code on their site.

•••
I'd offer to judge if not I'd enter :) I would love to see some programming comp here on namepros!

Maybe do something on the line of Google Summer Code comp. offer some prizes and let you develop what ever you want. We will go through the open code and judge based on the use of comments, advancity of the code, cleaniness, usablity, functionality, use of classes/objects, or what ever comes up.

With that said, I think we should not do a global poll judge but nomiate judges and let them judge the code itself. I think we should also allow for the use of excisting framework/objects/classes AS long as you own rights to it, it is opensource (common licensed or gpl) or have bought it and can show proof if requested. Also I think there should either be categories or it be wide open, create what ever you want. In the categories it would be judges base on the usablity and code. In what ever it will be judged based on the complexity, usablity, and the code.

For the global one, meaning if somebody creates a EXTREMELY complex shoutbox with AJAX and a pile of other features unheard of. They will receive a higher mark than a 2,000 file crappy coded CMS.

- Steve

Last edited:
•••
-RJ- said:
I would be ok seeing external classes used if they were pre-defined and approved before the contest starts (so everyone has an equal shot at using them).
I will try and get a list up, of Frameworks etc...which i think should be allowed, then others can give their input, and add to it. :)

-RJ- said:
Perhaps we should agree on a licensing schema like this one for code entered into the competition. It would be helpful to the competition if viewers could view the final entries. Programmers could then specify their terms of attribution, like requiring a link to their site be included if someone uses the code on their site.
Yeh, the CC License would be good, then the authors could specify their "terms" too.
Though, posting code would be at their own "risk".

iNod said:
I'd offer to judge if not I'd enter
I highly doubt it will be judged.
A anonymous vote/poll would be better in my opinion.

EDIT: Steve, just saw your edit.
iNod said:
For the global one, meaning if somebody creates a EXTREMELY complex shoutbox with AJAX and a pile of other features unheard of. They will receive a higher mark than a 2,000 file crappy coded CMS.
Like we said, the "winners" will be chosen by a Poll.
So, there wouldn't really be needed for a "mark", as the complexity, and functionality of the script, will be reflected by the users vote of choice...(if i said that clearly. :oops: )

Last edited:
•••
I agree, but polls are not the best way because if somebody wanted to win he could just signup with 15 different accounts and vote, I don't think the votes change if the account gets banned.

Mind you I don't know, if the polls do change if an account gets banned, than yes. Do it that way :)

- Steve

•••
iNod said:
I agree, but polls are not the best way because if somebody wanted to win he could just signup with 15 different accounts and vote, I don't think the votes change if the account gets banned.

Mind you I don't know, if the polls do change if an account gets banned, than yes. Do it that way :)

- Steve
We would probably have to have a Public Vote.
So, the options would be "Script 1", "Script 2", "Script 3" etc...

But, on the "View Results", it would show who voted for who?
Then, we could quickly do a IP check on username's, if we did happen to suspect some "cheating".

Just a thought. :)

•••
Hey,

I'v being looking over various Frameworks, and, they all include major code, what could really "boost" someones chances of winning, by alot.

I think it would be better to not allow Frameworks, afterall, without them, it would show the coders skills.

The majority of code in Frameworks, could be used nearly all the way through someones script, not really showing the coders ability.

What is others thoughts on Frameworks?

•••
I actually agree with hitch on the frameworks, I think we should remove them and make the code from scratch that way the coders style comes across. The thing with a poll is also some people will vote for the one they like or need rather then one that was coded well so for example here if someone made a really poorly coded domain script and someone else made a neat Login script (for example) in this community the domain one would probably get most votes, I think half should be poll and half judge or judges points on the code etc

•••
I agree completely on the frameworks thing hitch.

•••
I agree with not using frameworks, i think it should purely be coder's skills, showing what they can do, not how well they can read instructions and learn how to use frameworks.

Also, any idea when/if this will actually happen?

•••
Hopefully, very soon.
Looks like it would be better, not to use Frameworks then. :D

•••
Done! Fellow PHP Coders Start Your Engines!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back