Dynadot

events Petition to remove all restrictions from .US

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Shea

Established Member
Impact
I have created a petition to remove all restrictions from the .US domain name.
In order for the White House to review the petition it must reach 100,000.00 signatures in 30 days.
If this is met, according to the US Government, "Get an official update from the White House within 60 days".

There is no way I can get 100,000 signatures unless some serious mass platforms get a hold of this, and share it. So I'm absolutely reliant on everyone of interest, to help me share this. Thanks.. And as of right now, I got 99,999 signatures as of today, October 27

Link to sign below

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-us-domain-registration-requirements

The White House States the follow, copy and paste from there page

"With We the People, you can easily create a petition online, share it, and collect signatures. If you gather 100,000 signature in 30 days, we’ll review your petition, make sure it gets in front of the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.

Petitioning has the potential to enact real change, but it’s also your fundamental right as an American citizen, and an opportunity to connect with a community of like-minded people who are invested in making a change. Ideally, running a petition on We the People is just the start of something bigger β€” a long-term, robust form of civic engagement."

Also, if you have any suggestions on who I might contact to help me push this, please respond with name, website, or email.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't think 100k people care, but I'll wish you luck.

•••
IMO I feel like all domain name investors should care. It also positively impacts other stakeholders,like registrar, foreign entities, etc.

•••
Hello.

This is a very proactive step.

Kind regards,

DomainNameBroker.com

•••
Not a good move unless you want to make .US ccTLD into another zombie TLD like some of the new gTLDs. The .US needs some good management and marketing rather than being turned into a cesspit.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I'm not sure there are 100,000 domainers in the entire world.

•••
Not a good move unless you want to make .US ccTLD into another zombie TLD like some of the new gTLDs. The .US needs some good management and marketing rather than being turned into a cesspit.

Regards...jmcc
Agreed. However, as it is, Neustar isn't doing a good job at policing who is registering them.

•••
I have created a petition to remove all restrictions from the .US domain name.
In order for the White House to review the petition it must reach 100,000.00 signatures in 30 days.
If this is met, according to the US Government, "Get an official update from the White House within 60 days".

There is no way I can get 100,000 signatures unless some serious mass platforms get a hold of this, and share it. So I'm absolutely reliant on everyone of interest, to help me share this. Thanks.. And as of right now, I got 99,999 signatures as of today, October 27

Link to sign below

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-us-domain-registration-requirements

The White House States the follow, copy and paste from there page

"With We the People, you can easily create a petition online, share it, and collect signatures. If you gather 100,000 signature in 30 days, we’ll review your petition, make sure it gets in front of the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.

Petitioning has the potential to enact real change, but it’s also your fundamental right as an American citizen, and an opportunity to connect with a community of like-minded people who are invested in making a change. Ideally, running a petition on We the People is just the start of something bigger β€” a long-term, robust form of civic engagement."

Also, if you have any suggestions on who I might contact to help me push this, please respond with name, website, or email.

I actually support the restrictions on .US domains, and for that reason I'm out.
Good luck!

P.S. Imagine a US flag with a tag that says MADE IN CHINA OR REGISTERED TO CHINA. Where's your patriotism?

Last edited:
•••
Where do you think US flags are made???
haha

P.S. Imagine a US flag with a tag that says MADE IN CHINA OR REGISTERED TO CHINA. Where's your patriotism?

•••
Where's your patriotism?

β€œPatriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it” George Bernard Shaw

•••
that is also called delusional disorder...

•••
I'd like the restrictions removed from a selfish point of view but the most successful cctld's are restricted to residents.

•••
•••
The problem is every time these guys get together nothing ever gets done. This has been going on for years. They hold meetings, published minutes, eat donuts... and thats about it

•••
What ccTLDs are these?

I'd like the restrictions removed from a selfish point of view but the most successful cctld's are restricted to residents.

•••
•••
.co.uk never had any restrictions up until 2014. And since then all you need to do is give a UK address (the registrars) and you are good.

Same with .de: "Denic, the .DE Registry, requires that all .DE domains have a German address for the administrative contact." You use your registrar.

Almost same with .fr: "administrative contact must reside in the European Union." You use your registrar.

All these mean that there are no real restrictions.

•••
I own a couple of. us domains and just checked whois and they still look good on the digital shelf

What restrictions lol

•••
People may not realize, but there are a lot of ccTLDs that are unrestricted today, and the trend is toward loosening of the restrictions.
I support lifting the restrictions on .us (and .ca too would be great).

But this will not make .us popular. An influx of domainer registrations will do no good and this is not the right way to address the problem. .us has a management problem, but also a particular history and US exceptionalism. Besides, many domainers do not even bother about the nexus. Most of the time, you can get away with it... it's easier to skirt the rules than make sales.

Last edited:
•••
I think .us rules are ok, and should remain open to us based interests. It cuts down spammers, and phising.

It's not like you don't have enough extensions to build a website on, why are you so set on .us opening up to outside residents?

•••
@platey I can't reg .US for example !

•••
that is also called delusional disorder...

Oh Yeah. NO Wait lol, that's why your petition has exactly... Let's see how many backers so far? :ROFL:
☟
Screenshot_20170928-164558.png

Last edited:
•••
@EZPZYO

I would like to see this succeed. But I cannot change how many people sign, if it gets 2,3, or more signatures. What I can do I've done.

•••
I think .us rules are ok, and should remain open to us based interests. It cuts down spammers, and phising.
How ? Whois records are not even verified, unless there is a complaint. There is no active vetting of applicants.

I know that other ccTLDs like .fr or .uk try at least to match the registrant address against public databases, also the company registration number if there is one. If you have a made-up or inconsistent record they may contact you to fix it. There is a minimum effort to check the accuracy of the records.
Then you have some ccTLDs that are even stricter: all requests are screened by human beings and supporting documents (certificate of incorporation, TM etc) may be required before the domain is delegated to you.

I don't see a lot of spam or phishing in .us but it's because the TLD is downright unpopular.
It is also funny that the US champions free trade but doesn't open its ccTLD.
Would it hurt to open it to the rest of the world ?
Many of the most successful TLDs are unrestricted and still trusted as a whole.

•••
.ie - Need to scan a copy of your Irish ID / Passport to register (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back