IT.COM

Permit or Permits?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you register the singular or plural version of "device permit"

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Permit

votes
    66.7%
  • Permits

votes
    33.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Example: If a permit is required to own a device, would you reg...
DevicePermit.com
DevicePermits.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Each time I go to answer I change my mind! lol

I think it depends on how you'll be using the domain.

Like if it's an information site then you're looking for information on Device Permits.

But if it's a registration site then you're looking to register a Device Permit.

I hope that makes sense to you .. because I'm not even sure if it did for me! lol

•••
Yup, that's the whole reason I started the thread. It could go either way from a logical standpoint.

The question is, which one is best from a domain investor's standpoint?

•••
Well .. that would depend on the device and if there's more value in the information or registration?

Like if it was a Driver's Permit ... I'd go with plural because generally a company can't register people and on the opposite side there is tons of money in driving courses .. so people looking for information on how to get driving permits would look for DrivingPermits.com .. which could be a lead generator for driving schools.

Actually .. now that I think about it .. most permits are government issued .. so maybe default to plural for info/lead generating sites .. but it really is a toss up .. I might find different wording tomorrow and say the opposite .. one of those cases where grabbing both certainly could make a difference.

•••
one of those cases where grabbing both certainly could make a difference.

Even when I think about it from a radio test standpoint, I can't make up my mind which one passes the radio test best. If you advertise "permit" on the radio, some people may just remember/type in "permits" anyway lol And the same goes for the opposite.

•••
sales from namebio don't help too much either because other than parkingpermit.com selling for 15K, the rest of the results for plural and singular are pretty much similar.

•••
Example: If a permit is required to own a device, would you reg...
DevicePermit.com
DevicePermits.com

if you have that question in mind
why don't you risk 10 USD and reg it????

•••
1. Who said I am looking to actually buy a permit/permits domain?

2. If I am looking to buy a permit/permits domain, why do you assume it is for hand reg?

Open your mind and just answer the poll question instead of making assumptions. That's not productive or helpful to anyone.

Forums are for sharing ideas & information. Not every thread is about making a sell/buy decision. ;)

Last edited:
•••
1. Who said I am looking to actually buy a permit/permits domain?

2. If I am looking to buy a permit/permits domain, why do you assume it is for hand reg?

Open your mind and just answer the poll question instead of making assumptions. That's not productive or helpful to anyone.

Forums are for sharing ideas & information. Not every thread is about making a sell/buy decision. ;)

I thought
"would you reg.."
would ask for
would you reg...

stupid me

•••
depends on the purpose of the website

Cheers
Corey

•••
One permit per person.
Unless there are different classes of permits. Then...
Might want to register both if this is a hot trend picking up.

Now there are different types of driving licenses but singular is always better I think.
So I don't know if I really helped here.

•••
For those wondering why I started this thread, last night I came across a domain that was [keyword]licenses.com. When I saw it, I thought, "hmm, would the singular be better?".

Also for that particular domain/keyword/subject, "permit" would have been more appropriate word.

So then that got me thinking, "would Permit or PermitS be better?". Then my mind went into some sort of short-circuit thinking about it :xf.grin: IMHO, if I were to reg a "license" domain, it would be the singular because the plural adds 2 letter and a syllable and is better from a marketing standpoint (IMO). But permits seems like a whole different ballgame.

So I thought I'd make a thread about it to see what most people think and if someone could provide more clarity.

I do agree with those saying that it's hard question to answer and might possibly depend on the purpose of the domain/website.

Let's see if someone comes along with an AAAHAAA! angle on this.

Last edited:
•••
Driving Licence vs Driving licences

You only need one driving licence unless you are the authority on diving licences like the DVLA then the plural would be better

Alcohol Licence vs Alcohol Licences vs Alcohol Licensing

Again dependent on your perspective (n)

It is hard to gauge which side of the fence you want to position it.....

•••
I think psychology of why the plural works in this case is that we think we want to find a place that issues permits .. no place would ever issue a single permit as that would be an awfully lonely office! lol

Plural comes even more into play when there is a range of types of permits available. So again .. you're going to look for information on which among a range of permits is the one most suited to you.

So again .. I think it really really depends on context, as there like are cases when the singular also makes sense ... a lot would also depend on what specific type of permit it is.

(@EbookLover was there a live website on that domain?)

•••
(@EbookLover was there a live website on that domain?)

No website. Actually expired. I happen to notice it when searching expireddomains.net BikeLicenses.com It got me thinking about plurals vs singulars and the word permit

Like I said before, IMHO, for license I would opt for the singular because the plural adds a syllable, adds 2 letters and I don't see the benefit of the plural for the word license. I also think that "licenses" is an awkward word but maybe that's just me. Licensing is much better than the plural.

Although permits and licenses are similar keywords, they are 2 different animals IMHO.

•••
Phonetics and word flow are such a critical component of what makes for a good brand (less in cases like this of exact match where you mostly need to just be grammatically correct).

There are times I simply fall in love with 2-word 5-syllable domains I wouldn't ever expect liking.

Not too long ago I grabbed Tactical Wisdom // dot // com and was like .. this domain sounds so much stronger than the sum of it's parts .. and that's considering those are already two very powerful keywords. But there's something about the way they go together that just took it to another level for me. The meanings are definitely part of it .. but it also just sounds very phonetically strong which I'm thinking my sub-conscience translates to mean authority maybe? I'm still debating on if I actually want to just keep it to use as my own brand if I ever get into consulting or start another couple of blogs and need an umbrella brand or something like that.

•••
I had same thinking when I bought
PermitUSA.com
I just went for that and left the plural

•••
IMHO, Permit being in front makes it kind of, sort of a different ballgame from [keyword]Permit(s).tld

•••
We could take a real life example. DronePermit and DronePermits. The singular is taken in Com/Net/Org/Info. The plural is taken only in Com. Both are valued at $0 according to Estibot. The Serp Traffic is 3.1K for the singular and 19.8K for the plural. Kind of a mixed bag. Both were regged in 2012.

•••
We could take a real life example. DronePermit and DronePermits. The singular is taken in Com/Net/Org/Info. The plural is taken only in Com. Both are valued at $0 according to Estibot. The Serp Traffic is 3.1K for the singular and 19.8K for the plural. Kind of a mixed bag. Both were regged in 2012.

People are searching 6+ times the plural over the singular.

I think that's significant. It may be specific to that niche, or not. Interesting info.

Last edited:
•••
Back