NameSilo

discuss Paying Someone Else to Sell Your Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dogmains

Established Member
Impact
So I work full time but am starting to build up quite a bit of a portfolio. I tried getting my cousin to try and help sell my names but hes just a highschooler and never really started. I know that paying up to 25% of the profit is a bit steep but the ROI is still crazy good even after fees and accounting for taxes. Do any of you pay someone to sell your domains? How did you find them and has that worked for you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most won't take yours and might even end up either insulting you or "tough love" you saying your domains are crap.

Domainer mentality has always been "easy money" so why would that mentality not apply to brokering?

i.e. I only sell good domains i.e. short,or single dictionary words or 3N or 4N domains.

Like wtf? If I had those domains I could sell them myself..

Why do I need broker? And pay 25%.

I and most of us have 2 word domains or some variation.

Unless it's something like Bitcoinwallet.com you'd be hard pressed to find a broker willing to take you on. So unless you have a domain that ironically could "sell itself" why risk being laughed at or insulted?

imo

•••
The other thing you should worry about is trust.
Lawyers and brokers in my eyes are both the same.

Think a broker wouldn't sell you out to the potential buyer and switch sides to whoever will pay more?

Imagine hiring a broker for a domain you want to get $20,000. The broker has a potential buyer someone they have brokered for in the past? Think your broker wouldn't suggest you lower the price in favor of their past client?

I had one lawyer I knew was doing this because I knew his assistant and she told me he had gotten a payout from the insurance company if he convinced me to take the offer they gave.

Subsequently took that lawyer to court and won. Doesn't happen often but I was lucky.

Sometimes it's best to do it yourself. Just use Clearbit or Hunter.io Tell your High school to create a database. Get a paid private email account connect it to a bulk email software. Create an OUTBOUND sales email, load up the email of your targets. Set email to send out emails slow so as not to get into trouble with your isp or email host. And go about your day. Oh and make sure to have landers for each domain and point domain to those landers.

I'm slow to realize that landers are the way to go. You send outbounds mentioning the domain. Humans are creatures of habit and curiousity.

You tell them domain.com is available and they should visit Domain.com.

Its like Jedi mind trick. Most if interestec will visit the domain and if they're is nothing there but a default registrar page they just close and forget.

Now if there was a lander where they are asked for their name and info and their offer?

It's a powerful trigger for the human mind to fill out forms for "More Info".

If they already took the time to check out . Domain.com then for sure they have some ember of the fire to buy.

No lander? None of the above ever happens plus people are lazy. Think they will go out their way to check whois? Does the average person even know how to find this?

Having a lander and form really makes things simple and easy.

Slowly realizing this.

Getting people to make an offer I swear is like putting teeth. Landers make things easier.

•••
I would consider broker if they are a proper domain broker and 'earn' the slice of pie they would be taking, ie:- go hunting for potential buyers/getting on the phone to potential buyers/always having an answer to whatever questions are put forward to them like “how will the domain benefit us?”

Trouble is, many ‘so called’ domain brokers, just e-mail previous bidders of a domain/put on a landing page with contact info or maybe create a thread on NamePros trying to flog the domain on here and call themselves ‘a broker’ - I’d never use someone like that.

Last edited:
•••
I would consider broker if they are a proper domain broker and 'earn' the slice of pie they would be taking, ie:- go hunting for potential buyers/getting on the phone to potential buyers/always having an answer to whatever questions are put forward to them like “how will the domain benefit us?”

Trouble is, many ‘so called’ domain brokers, just e-mail previous bidders of a domain/put on a landing page with contact info or maybe create a thread on NamePros trying to flog the domain on here and call themselves ‘a broker’ - I’d never use someone like that.

How would they even know "previous bidders" I'd love to be privy to that kind of info.

•••
How would they even know "previous bidders" I'd love to be privy to that kind of info.

Auction site brokers or owner can forward contact info of people who shown interest in the domain previously.

•••
I don't trust domainers really either. I was thinking about hiring college students looking for some part time cash and giving them a little bit of training. I'm not even looking for that much per domain, only 500-2K each so I don't think a real domainer would even think it's worth their time. I'm absorbing the risk by buying the domains all they need to worry about is selling them. As for landing pages I just forward right to the GoDaddy "add to cart" page. I always thought landing pages were sketchy and don't trust putting my info into a random form so I figure others gotta think the same.

•••
No broker will spend his/her time to sell your names. They prefer to sell their own domains. And in 99,99% cases, their names are far better than yours.

•••
"Create an OUTBOUND sales email, load up the email of your targets." Thousands of emails might be spam and illegal (breaking law justified??) which is why you had to say, "Set email to send out emails slow so as not to get into trouble with your isp" HOWEVER, anyone taking your advice better be careful. I understand 50 manual emails a day to potential end-users. Even, if a service offers spam service I still say be careful. I get over 100 emails per day of people trying to sell me domains I ignore them sometimes even click report spam. Just my 2-cents advice.
The other thing you should worry about is trust.
Lawyers and brokers in my eyes are both the same.

Think a broker wouldn't sell you out to the potential buyer and switch sides to whoever will pay more?

Imagine hiring a broker for a domain you want to get $20,000. The broker has a potential buyer someone they have brokered for in the past? Think your broker wouldn't suggest you lower the price in favor of their past client?

I had one lawyer I knew was doing this because I knew his assistant and she told me he had gotten a payout from the insurance company if he convinced me to take the offer they gave.

Subsequently took that lawyer to court and won. Doesn't happen often but I was lucky.

Sometimes it's best to do it yourself. Just use Clearbit or Hunter.io Tell your High school to create a database. Get a paid private email account connect it to a bulk email software. Create an OUTBOUND sales email, load up the email of your targets. Set email to send out emails slow so as not to get into trouble with your isp or email host. And go about your day. Oh and make sure to have landers for each domain and point domain to those landers.

I'm slow to realize that landers are the way to go. You send outbounds mentioning the domain. Humans are creatures of habit and curiousity.

You tell them domain.com is available and they should visit Domain.com.

Its like Jedi mind trick. Most if interestec will visit the domain and if they're is nothing there but a default registrar page they just close and forget.

Now if there was a lander where they are asked for their name and info and their offer?

It's a powerful trigger for the human mind to fill out forms for "More Info".

If they already took the time to check out . Domain.com then for sure they have some ember of the fire to buy.

No lander? None of the above ever happens plus people are lazy. Think they will go out their way to check whois? Does the average person even know how to find this?

Having a lander and form really makes things simple and easy.

Slowly realizing this.

Getting people to make an offer I swear is like putting teeth. Landers make things easier.

•••
Common sense a broker needs to make money as well, no established domain broker is going to broker $500 - $2,000 names. $100 to $250 in commission per deal max? The juice is not worth the squeeze. Plus then you have your other clients wondering why you are now selling $500 domains when previously you have shown them $50,000 - $500,000 names.

You also have to worry about college kids with no experience, what if they contact a tm holder, most are not versed in TM law. Now you have a UDRP on a name, and are labeled as a cybersquatter.

Best to sell those names yourself if you are looking for $500 to $2,000. Set up a good lander and figure out how best to market them.

•••
"Create an OUTBOUND sales email, load up the email of your targets." Thousands of emails might be spam and illegal (breaking law justified??) which is why you had to say, "Set email to send out emails slow so as not to get into trouble with your isp" HOWEVER, anyone taking your advice better be careful. I understand 50 manual emails a day to potential end-users. Even, if a service offers spam service I still say be careful. I get over 100 emails per day of people trying to sell me domains I ignore them sometimes even click report spam. Just my 2-cents advice.

Exactly, you cannot be spamming people. And yes a lot of domainers who receive spam do report spam, contact registrars and ICANN. There is a lot of animosity towards those that many think are doing it the wrong way.

•••
I don't trust domainers really either.
Because ?

I was thinking about hiring college students looking for some part time cash and giving them a little bit of training.
Seriously ? What kind of training ? And what do you expect ? Very few people understand what makes a good name, even among domainers. Brokering names is a specialized trade, there are not so many capable persons and it will work only for names that are good enough on their own.

Good names sell for themselves if you are patient enough. Outbound will work only if you have good names, contact the proper decision makers and that the domains are relevant to their business needs.

If you buy domains like an amateur, then rely on another amateur to find buyers, that won't make a good business plan at all. Without proper expertise and adequate inventory, the best that college students can do is spam blindly and your names will never sell.

•••
Brokers like @promo are a great deal to work with. Professional and no cutting corners. He is the real deal

•••
brokers usually only take on very high quality and liquid names

•••
So I work full time but am starting to build up quite a bit of a portfolio. I tried getting my cousin to try and help sell my names but hes just a highschooler and never really started. I know that paying up to 25% of the profit is a bit steep but the ROI is still crazy good even after fees and accounting for taxes. Do any of you pay someone to sell your domains? How did you find them and has that worked for you?

Seems like an easy way out to me. There are many domainers (even on here) who have full time jobs and still manage to find the time to put in the work. Domaining isn't easy, but YOU have to put in the work. I personally wouldn't dream of getting someone else to sell my domains - I love the challenge.

•••
I do pay someone to sell my domains and I give him 20% commission.

Is name is Nic. After Nic.

•••
•••
the brokers I have dealt with want
-2 letter, 3 letter (no number) .coms
- one word .com or .org
and they want to sell them at wholesale prices (15k for lll.com or little more than public buy price of one word) hard to get anything more than 10k for great names from brokers.

•••
•••
I pay Name Silo to sell my names. They list them, and make sure that payment is made before releasing a name. Then they pay me in Bitcoin. They take a lower percentage than most brokers, and provide a free sales page if I want one.

•••
Most brokers will only accept short or one-word .com domains (with a few exemptions). I fully understand them, because 99% of all registered domains will never sell.

•••
And his daddy helps him find the buyers, go daddy.

I do pay someone to sell my domains and I give him 20% commission.

Is name is Nic. After Nic.
Msg to OP: Just list your name on afternic, sedo etc and forget using anyone to find buyers unless your name is super premium.

•••
I am using the Namecheap and Dynadot marketplaces and getting a lot of sales, they charge 5-10%. I am getting very few sales directly because of corporate espionage, theft of correspondence allegedly by google, tata , to destroy competition, so marketplaces are the best option for domain investors being harassed and defamed.

•••
...I am getting very few sales directly because of corporate espionage, theft of correspondence allegedly by google, tata , to destroy competition, so marketplaces are the best option for domain investors being harassed and defamed.
Wut ?? (n):nailbiting:

•••
Identity, savings, correspondence theft of female domain investors is the harsh reality of living in India, so it is difficult to sell directly

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back