IT.COM

Password protection

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've seen this on other sites when there is a folder that is password protected and when you try to access it, you get a window where you have to put in the user name and password. One of the clients I'm designing a site for wants something like this. Can anyone tell me how it's done please? :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if your using cpanel there is a link in it that says password protect, then there are all the files, just click the file/folder you want to protect then go from there

•••
this is a hosting issue more than a web design issue (or at least that is the better way to do it)

do you control the hosting? if so, what software do you use? (such as cpanel, plesk, etc)

•••
I use cpanel. I tried doing it how Randy said I should, but the folder I want to protect doesn't show up on the list. Only the top folders show I think.

•••
Originally posted by wicked_gal00
I use cpanel. I tried doing it how Randy said I should, but the folder I want to protect doesn't show up on the list. Only the top folders show I think.

you can only password protect the top folders

•••
If you have telnet/SSH access, let me know. I will tell you the proper way to do this. You can password protect any folder. It does not need to be a top level folder.

It is done via .htaccess files. Using control panels is no good.

Again, if you have SSH/telnet access reply and let me know and I'll whip up a mini-tutorial to show you how to do this.

•••
•••
There's an easy way tutorial on it...when i find it ill emssege you if you want

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back