IT.COM

strategy Part 6 - Portfolio Optimisation - Traffic Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
If you remember from previous articles the normalised RPM allows us to precisely compare one monetisation provider versus another.

This metric is VERY different from the traditional RPM that is often used more as a marketing tool than an actual unit of measurement. The normalised RPM is the revenue from every monetisation source divided by the raw unfiltered traffic, times by one thousand.

nRPM = Revenue / (Raw Traffic) x 1000

The chart below is one that shared at Domaining Europe and highlights a number of opportunities for domain investors. The first is on average, direct advertisers pay considerably more for traffic compared to Google based sources.

Read More >

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very interesting & I'm intrigued looking at the graphs that sedo seems to be performing very well on both nrpm and %traffic. General consensus here is they are good for selling but bad for parking. I know I haven't sent any traffic to them for a long time. Has something changed or is it just that you have a particularly good relationship with the company?

Cheers
N

•••
Having a close look at those charts
I conclude that leaving the domains with parkingcrew
is not such a bad idea

Building systems, yourself is an enormous undertaking and I would highly recommend against pursing the investment in time and money so that you can focus on other endeavours.

today parking itself doesn't deserve the money and time spend

if you think that parklogic may do better
think twice

they will not work for free ( around 30% fees depending on your parking revenue )
- most portfolios will earn more staying at where you are right now-
and you won't gain any insight of which parking company does best for which domain / keyword
as they will open new parking accounts for your domains at the parking companies
and you won't get any aditional insight

-at least that was true for my portfoilio-

Last edited:
•••
Having a close look at those charts
I conclude that leaving the domains with parkingcrew
is not such a bad idea

today parking itself doesn't deserve the money and time spend

if you think that parklogic may do better
think twice

they will not work for free ( around 30% fees depending on your parking revenue )
- most portfolios will earn more staying at where you are right now-
and you won't gain any insight of which parking company does best for which domain / keyword
as they will open new parking accounts for your domains at the parking companies
and you won't get any aditional insight

-at least that was true for my portfoilio-
Hi Frank,
I would normally not say anything about a persons individual account but seeing that you brought it up about yourself then I feel that I need to share some details:
1. We payout 70% to anyone that just signs-up and we have no idea who they are. The reason for this is that there is so much fraud in the industry we are absolutely paraonoid about who we work with and the risks involved. In this case we don't send any of the traffic throught to Google as it's likely to get clawed back. The rate immiately drops if we have ever met the client or communicated with them verbally about what their aims and goals are. Our average payout is around 85%.
2. The test that you conducted with ParkLogic maxed out at $3 per day.....which is not statistically significant. As far as I can see (it was back in 2012/13) we closed your account due to this dropping to less than $0.3/day. We did not apply fully optimisation your account due to your account being very small and the numbers just didn't stack up. If there is little to no traffic then the optimisation will be less effective.
3. We are upfront with clients that we are a professional platform that works best with clients that do greater than $250/month. In fact, we often send emails out to account applications that have less than $250/month saying they should stay with a single parking solution. Our policy is to always do the best by clients even if it means we recommend they go elsewhere.
4. We have shared with many clients exactly where there traffic is routed and also how this changes across time. In fact, in a number of cases we have provided so much data that they clients have asked to not receive it any longer as they could clearly see the value we are providing.

•••
Very interesting & I'm intrigued looking at the graphs that sedo seems to be performing very well on both nrpm and %traffic. General consensus here is they are good for selling but bad for parking. I know I haven't sent any traffic to them for a long time. Has something changed or is it just that you have a particularly good relationship with the company?

Cheers
N
What should be gleaned by the graphs is that EVERY parking solution provides value for some domains and some point in time. This changes literally on a daily basis. The challenge is to know which domain will perform where at a point in time. This is our core competency.

•••
Hi Frank,
I would normally not say anything about a persons individual account but seeing that you brought it up about yourself then I feel that I need to share some details:
1. We payout 70% to anyone that just signs-up and we have no idea who they are. The reason for this is that there is so much fraud in the industry we are absolutely paraonoid about who we work with and the risks involved. In this case we don't send any of the traffic throught to Google as it's likely to get clawed back. The rate immiately drops if we have ever met the client or communicated with them verbally about what their aims and goals are. Our average payout is around 85%.
2. The test that you conducted with ParkLogic maxed out at $3 per day.....which is not statistically significant. As far as I can see (it was back in 2012/13) we closed your account due to this dropping to less than $0.3/day. We did not apply fully optimisation your account due to your account being very small and the numbers just didn't stack up. If there is little to no traffic then the optimisation will be less effective.
3. We are upfront with clients that we are a professional platform that works best with clients that do greater than $250/month. In fact, we often send emails out to account applications that have less than $250/month hael

saying they should stay with a single parking solution. Our policy is to always do the best by clients even if it means we recommend they go elsewhere.
4. We have shared with many clients exactly where there traffic is routed and also how this changes across time. In fact, in a number of cases we have provided so much data that they clients have asked to not receive it any longer as they could clearly see the value we are providing.

thanks Michael

before parklogic I was doing very well with my account
having 5000 visitors / day or so
making about $1000 / month
-if I recall it right-
- its long ago but when I recall it correcty I had to pay 25% fee + 250 usd fixed -

•••
3. We are upfront with clients that we are a professional platform that works best with clients that do greater than $250/month. In fact, we often send emails out to account applications that have less than $250/month saying they should stay with a single parking solution. Our policy is to always do the best by clients even if it means we recommend they go elsewhere.

here is my unprofessional account in 2013
after recovering from my parklogic experience:

upload_2016-8-13_0-34-26.png

•••
Frank,
We aggregate payments to $USD250 simply because the bank fees are so large for international transfers. Although we now have a solution where these can be greatly reduced. In your case, we paid out 75% because of the size of the account and also the fact that we didn't know who you were at the time. It's actually really tough sorting out the good players from the bad players in the industry. There have been times where we literally get hundreds of applications in a week and we manually have to go through each one of them. We end up rejecting around 99% of applications due to fraud and we don't want this type of traffic in our network.
That's why we place a high premium on actually meeting/talking to people. It gives a great deal of comfort knowing a person and being able to work with them.
BTW - your advice and suggestions have been gratefully received. I'm finalising the building of a new ParkLogic website for the launch of ParkLogic Next and it has quotations from clients (a lot of them a major players) plus a number of case studies.

•••
Not sure what those numbers are.....sorry.

•••
•••
This thread is so creepy. "We didnt know who you are..." and stuff :)And now you know. No let me think twice: Its f. grotesque

•••
bank fees are so high?
never heard of paypal?
Sadly, yes paypal can be high and in many cases people want to be paid directly into their bank account. Some (either the payer or the payee) ends up eating the fees.....I hate banking networks. :(

•••
This thread is so creepy. "We didnt know who you are..." and stuff :)And now you know. No let me think twice: Its f. grotesque
You have no idea how creepy some of the people in the industry are.....I sometimes feel like I need a shower after being lied to continuously.

For example, we've had fraudulent passports sent to us as proof of ownership, fraudulent addresses, proxy people pretending to be other people, some people suggesting they can make the CTR any rate we want, people claiming they can make $10K/month with one crappy domain, fraudulent payment information that gets changed at the last minute, people trying to steal other good domainers identities.......and the list goes on. All these (and many more) are some of the reasons why Google introduced the DRID system. I sometimes think that it's a miracle that the industry hangs together at all.

I love working in this industry and have many, many friends all over the world but there is an undercurrent of bad players out there that make it difficult for all of us.

If I was to give one bit of advice, the most important thing that any good domain investor should do is get to know their registrar, monetisation partner and sales channels. I know that with us a person that we meet, get to know and trust will not behave in a fraudulent manner gets better payout rates. The pragmatic reason for this is there is much less risk with this type of client and if anything does go wrong your dealing with a person who wants to work with you versus someone that "does a runner".

•••
Sadly, yes paypal can be high and in many cases people want to be paid directly into their bank account. Some (either the payer or the payee) ends up eating the fees.....I hate banking networks. :(

that is called
"cost of doing business"

you end up having a lot of work and
taken lots of risks

and then you pay taxes...

Last edited:
•••
that is called
"cost of doing business"

you end up having a lot of work and
taken lots of risks

and then you pay taxes...
Yes....it's a cost but at the same time we now have an option to get rid of that cost....whcih is good. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back