Dynadot

question Outbounding for companyname .com, does it work?

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Let's say a company uses: universalsportscompany.net
as their main web address and I offer to them the .com version.

What would be their reaction?

In my case, I don't see any reaction when I try something like this.

What should there reaction be, logically:

-Asking price and negotiating
-Threatening to UDRP

I would be happy with either of these reactions. But nothing happens, so it becomes boring.

This is not like sending emails to 30 people for geo domains.
Only one potential enduser & best domain for them.

I might have sold such names, but not as a result of outbounding.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Make sure the name is not trademarked. A better idea is to just stay away from company names altogether, its what gives us domainers a bad rap.

•••
6 weeks ago i found a dropped name,xxxusa.com,no tm. i did some research and found a company using xxx-usa.com. there are also a handful of companies that are u s based whose initials are xxx. i couldn't just ignore it. would you? i'm waiting for the lock to come off.

•••
Another possible logical reaction: They wake up, and realize their domain is not the best, but they decide to rethink their domain, and consider alternatives like USC.com, USC.net, universalsports.net, universalsports.com, etc.. and in such a case there is no reason for them to buy what I offer (it is not my domain, just an example). Also it may take time for them to review alternatives, and they learn all are out of their range, and they come back to buy the domain, but they wouldn't reply to the old email , because replying so late would be rude, so they try to get it quietly using a marketplace or a broker.

I don't think buying company names is unethical, if the price is below reasonable. We are doing them a favor. But would they appreciate it, this is another thing.

Maybe another possible reaction: They may have questions in their mind, like whether we actually own the domain, and why trust the transfer method we will propose to them. They would't want to be rude by saying things like "why trust you" , and they decide to do nothing.

Last edited:
•••
maybe they got the .net version, because that's what they wanted

if you aren't getting bleeding traffic from their name,
then either everybody knows it's on a .net or the site doesn't get many visitors from type-ins.

so, from that perspective, why do they need .com version?

imo….

•••
Some businesses don't really care much about the quality of their domain names.

•••
It can also be down to how long they have traded with an alternative extension, how much they have spent on design, lettering, packaging and all sorts of paraphernalia.

If they are happy with their .net or whatever, Why bother paying a premium for the .com. They probably wouldn't even bother chasing the .com if it dropped.

Lets face it most good .com (even most mediocre) sales come from well financed start-ups or a total rebranding, Changing an established extension to a 'perceived' superior one is just an unnecessary pain in the arse for most businesses

You'd probably get better luck when your offering a non-hyphenated .com to an established hyphen .com domain when your talking about selling domain upgrades

Last edited:
•••
It can also be down to how long they have traded with an alternative extension, how much they have spent on design, lettering, packaging and all sorts of paraphernalia.

If they are happy with their .net or whatever, Why bother paying a premium for the .com. They probably wouldn't even bother chasing the .com if it dropped.

Lets face it most good .com (even most mediocre) sales come from well financed start-ups or a total rebranding, Changing an established extension to a 'perceived' superior one is just an unnecessary pain in the arse for most businesses

You'd probably get better luck when your offering a non-hyphenated .com to an established hyphen .com domain when your talking about selling domain upgrades
You probably right that they may not change their entire set up to new name but if they are keen on increasing online presence then would it be not good them to get second name and redirect it to existing site ? Not a bad idea either. IMO.
Correct me if I am wrong

•••
Let's say a company uses: universalsportscompany.net
as their main web address and I offer to them the .com version.

What would be their reaction?

In my case, I don't see any reaction when I try something like this.

What should there reaction be, logically:

-Asking price and negotiating
-Threatening to UDRP

I would be happy with either of these reactions. But nothing happens, so it becomes boring.

This is not like sending emails to 30 people for geo domains.
Only one potential enduser & best domain for them.

I might have sold such names, but not as a result of outbounding.
This is happening with me as well and I am also wondering why?

•••
Back