IT.COM

Out of Date WhoIS, what can I do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
A URL that I would like to purchase is already owned by some other individual. The phone number is not correct nor is there a name. Does anybody have any experience with either tracking an owner down or contacting ICANN? I know it is against the rules to have out of date contact info but I wanted to get any ideas from the NamePros!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How do you know the phone number is not correct and the name is not correct...do you know this person personally? Yes you can report it to icann...but most usually the register will get a e-mail...and pass on to the DN owner he/she needs to update thier whois info.

•••
Ugh oh! Not another one of these.

•••
labrocca said:
Ugh oh! Not another one of these.

i said the same thing
:laugh:

Most people keep thier whois data updated...some forget to udate...say..if it's a godaddy push ect....But...did you know..SiliconFinance..it is illegal to use whois data for obtaining info you may use to solicit a person..

Last edited:
•••
•••
For the record, I contacted the person of record by phone and she says she has no idea why she is on it and that she does not own it. Trust me, I would love to buy it from the owner, but finding the owner seems impossible.

I also sent emails, but no reply.

•••
•••
Try sending a letter via snail mail.

•••
•••
what's the domain name? if you can't disclose it, what is the state name or area code listed in the whois?

SiliconFinance said:
For the record, I contacted the person of record by phone and she says she has no idea why she is on it and that she does not own it. Trust me, I would love to buy it from the owner, but finding the owner seems impossible.

•••
SiliconFinance said:

Is she listed as the registrant, admin, etc? If yes, then I hate to say this but
forget about it.

Unless someone here is willing to give a WHOIS historical record of the name
in question, no one is going to do anything to the domain name at all. You can
report it for invalid WHOIS if you want, but it could do more harm than good
and still not achieve your objective.

•••
It is listed as being in Canada.

I was more than curious, but not enough to try and get it from someone who has no interest in either selling or listing the proper whois info.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back