NameSilo

discuss .org ranks better in Google, so why do oeople prefer .net?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whuich do you orefer

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Super-Annuation

#Top Member
Impact
I'm currently purchasing .org domain names because they're the second best ranking extension

Why do people still buy the ,.net and why are .org's so cheap when they're only just under a .com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

what proof do you have to make such statement in title?

imo...

•••
Google it.

It states that the .org has the better ranking in search engine results

•••
Nothing like that .. As far as i have seen the search rankings are independent of tlds ..

Coming to ur question .. .net is second most used extension since ages and people usually prefer it as most of them think .org belongs to a social organization or a ngo

•••
Google uses its algorithm to rank search results. Beside relevance, among other factors that may influence the ranking is domain age and not domain extension (exception being for regional searches). For regional searches, preference is given to relevant ccTLD (country code top-level) domains - all things being equal.

•••
ok cool, thanks guys.

I was wondering why developers were promoting .org and Ethereum/ Hyperledger /Interledger etc are using the .org because apparantely it ranks better in google algorithnm.

Thanks for the turnaround because I would have snapped up all the .org's haha

•••
That statement makes no sense.

•••

Hi

to me....

you don't just go register .org simply because some are using the extension "outside" of it's traditional usages.
and.... if you don't plan on developing them, then they will never "rank", according to the process which achieves that.

and.... maybe they are using .org, because .com and or .net was taken.

and....to me,
seems like .net and the "blockchain" world, would have a more "in-common philosophy structure", than with .org

just saying....

imo….

•••
I was wondering why developers were promoting .org and Ethereum/ Hyperledger /Interledger etc are using the .org because apparantely it ranks better in google algorithnm.
You will find that .org is preferably used in the "decentralization" industry which consists of crypto and blockchain start ups. Many times they will have a .com forward to a .org.

•••
When coming to ranking, Big G sings to all extensions: I don't care Who You are, What You are, What You do, As long as You have contents, because that's the stuff which stimulates my algorithm.

•••
ok cool, thanks guys.

Perhaps every crypto is community based and the devs want to send a organisational feeler with .org domains. Have seen most of them using .io though.

•••
False statement.
I can assure 100% it is a false statement.
Domain names & extensions don't help to rank high.
Quality content, BACKLINKS, social signals, SEO in 1 word help to rank.
Not extension.... C'mon guys, we're no longer in the 90s.
We can't read these statements in 2020.

PS: SEO expert here, I talk cause I know.

•••
On the surface the OPs statements sound absurd. But being an SEO for some time now, I think there’s some truth to it.

One big reason is the higher trust factor for .org’s versus other extensions. If a website gets a higher CTR in the SERPS it’ll cause the algo to push that site up - all other factors considered equal.

Now if searchers become accustomed to seeing new TLDs and giving them more trust, who knows how much better they will rank compared to other TLDs. That’s yet to be seen.

•••
If a website gets a higher CTR in the SERPS it’ll cause the algo to push that site up

Ok, this is a true statement.
But do you think the average Joe reads the url and in his mind think: "Hmmmm it is a .org, it sounds an authority site compared to .com, .whatuwant".
C'mon guys, the average Joes don't read the url, they read the TITLE and DESCRIPTION.
If title and desc are what they're looking for, or they attract them, the average Joes will click on it.
My company made tons or user experience tests and guess what... (most of) users DON'T read the url but title and description.

•••
Well it doesn’t take that many searchers to sway the CTR. So yea you may be right not many will but the difference could make a difference.

•••
May be this is my experience in doing SEO for more than 10 years. Google rank need many factors, some of important factor is how many quality backlink to your website. Its doesn't matter what domain extension that we used on website , com, net , org , info , and other extension have same opportunity to get high ranking in search engine.

But , there is a little different for extension based ccTLD, we could have better rank on certain country / area when we also build strong backlink as we do in gTLD like .com,net,org or .info and other. Google SEo parameters says that ccTLD is targetted by specific country , its different from gTLDs or nGTLDs, where gtlds and gtlds seem to be targetted and ranked globally .

That's why there is any different search engine result for some keyword or different rank when we check via google.co.uk, google.com , google.de , and many google site based ccTLD.

•••
•••
I have a .pw website which rank #1 for many keywords. So I should buy thousands of .pw? No, I am not going buy.

Ranking a domain on #1 is another factor and having a good, catchy domain name is another.

As being domainer, I mostly invest in .com but when it's come to develop a website for my own I go with any extension.

•••
I prefer .network than .net sounds cooler, I guess only .gov and .edu have better ranking others the same.
using .org is obviously for organizational purposes, just regged the virtualpedia.org today. :glasses:

Last edited:
•••
That statement makes no sense.
The sense I make from it is that rather than argue will agree that it makes no difference between ranking org or net. Rest was ramble.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back