Domain Empire

.org extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Does .org really hurt a names potential? I've heard some people say "doesn't fit the extension". What do they mean? What fits. and what doesn't?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.org's are usually for non-profit groups, clubs, and associations, so they tend to clash with the idea of commercial gain. However, I like using them when I want to reinforce the idea that a group (not just a lone individual) is behind a certain website.

•••
Means you have to develop the .org site(in the correct manner) before attempting to sell :)

The reason I asked is 'coz I registered an .org name earlier, for the first time :( I'm afraid I might miss my 3x reg fee rule again.

Will put the name for appraisal here as soon as it resolves in the whois database.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your Family :)

•••
didnt they just discontiue those or something?

•••
Originally posted by furnishu
didnt they just discontiue those or something?

Discontinued what? :-/

•••
Is there an agency that see's to it that only non-profit organizations use the .org?

Who can stop you from using a .org name for commercial purposes?

Thanks.

•••
No there is no such agency..

•••
Oh, there was some talk a while ago about them enforcing the .org guidelines as strict rules, but the public outcry pretty much ruled it out. I remember seeing "Keep your hands off my .org!" banners on certain .org websites.

•••
Originally posted by Anthony
I remember seeing "Keep your hands off my .org!" banners on certain .org websites.

Time to make my own banner :)

Nice info, Anthony. Thanks.

•••
Originally posted by webscorpion
Who can stop you from using a .org name for commercial purposes?

Nobody. In the early Internet days there was only recomendation to use .org for non-profit organizations but nowadays even that is obsolete - you can use your domain for whatever legal purpose you want.

You paid for the name, right? It's yours. :)

•••
•••
The deal also lets Verisign keep control of the popular .net domain until 2003. After this date Verisign must compete with other firms on who can run the .net registry best.

Its a bit off-topic, but I got the above from link Anthony provided. 2004 is just a few days away. Any news on this?

•••
Yes, it would be interesting to know present developments regarding the .net issue.

Thanks for the link, Anthony :tu:

•••
There were a non-written rules about all the dot (net, com, org, etc...) several years ago.

Due to the increasing number of websites the non-written rules do not apply anymore.

Regulate the extension? It's a joke. It's impossible to have manpower/resources to do it across hundred of countries.

So the rule now is if I can't find a .com, I'll try .net .info .org ,etc...

Many .org sites make more money than other .com or .net

There will be more .xxx because of the supply and demand (for good and make sense domain names)

Just my 2 cents!

•••
I maybe stubborn but I personally think that .org is most suitable for non-profit organization!

•••
Ya of course it was intended to be.

•••
There could be conflicting opinions regarding .org. But it's clear(at the moment) that no one can stop you from using it for any legal purpose.

•••
.org - organisations
.net - fan sites, home sites.. what ever
.com - internetshops, biz sites

•••
Originally posted by webscorpion
There could be conflicting opinions regarding .org. But it's clear(at the moment) that no one can stop you from using it for any legal purpose.

Right. Because the rules were unwritten and unenforced for too long, they eventually became unenforceable even when they wanted to.

Some restrictive new TLDs, like .pro (for licensed professionals like doctors and lawyers), .coop (registered cooperatives), .aero (pilots and airports), and .museum, have the restrictions clearly included in their terms and conditions, so they have legal basis to cancel domain registrations that violate intended use.

•••
I think .NET is acceptable as a commerical domain as well, but .org is not IMO, but no one can stop you from using it for commerical purposes!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back