IT.COM

- Or not to - , What's your opinion, When and Why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

- or not to -

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • - twice, never more

votes
    0.0%
  • - upto three times, never more

votes
    0.0%
  • - what? Browser/Search Engine suggests the domain name, so who types the full name anyway now!

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
In the Q. which-one-would-you-choose, one of the answers, suggests using (hyphen) - to break up the words in the domain, which made me wonder, what is the popular opinion and when - should be used?

I am in the camp, that - should almost never never be used, as it is difficult to remember and tedious type to a - or a number. I prefer using only alphabets A to Z, which are easier to remember.

What is your opinion? When and why would you recommend using - in a domain name? (Apart from using it to avoid confusion in domain names like, Experts-Exchange, yeah, that one is well known.)

Know any domain names, that use 3 or more - to good effect?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hyphens are definitely a no-no in my book. Hard to remember, easy to forget and easily fail the Radio Test (along with numbers). If you say it out loud you would have to explain it further, where the hyphens are and everything and...well its just too much hassle. I can't deny there are some great hyphenated domains but the majority of them are just c-r-a-p.com ;)

•••
Hyphens might work for two keywords, but hyphens after each letter is use-less.

•••
We use them in everyday life whilst writing something, so why shouldn't the same thing apply to the virtual world?

•••
We use them in everyday life whilst writing something, so why shouldn't the same thing apply to the virtual world?

Mainly because domain names have nothing to do with proper grammar. We also separate words when we write in everyday life but you don't see us doing it in domains, right? :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back