IT.COM

Opinion on Web.com owned registrars?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am not trying to knock on or take a crap on Web.com - I want to hear your take and I want someone to convince me why to like their assets.

I was out of the domain game for some years (went crypto from 2013 until just recently - last 6 months) and don't have a ton of experience with Network Solutions or Register.com of late but when I do its because I get a domain stuck there after auction and I always seem to walk away frustrated. It now feels low-class and no longer has that dominate, the bitcoin of the domain market, feeling to it.

Questions...
  1. Why, when I want to transfer a domain away from Network Solutions does it warn me multiple times and then ask me to take a survey before finally confirming. It feels like a very desperate attempt to keep me around. Often I get a message like - one time offer to stay and you can renew your domain for only $17 or something like that - LMAO (do they not know what other registrars are renewing for?)
  2. Why does it take days to send me my transfer keys? Is this a sorry attempt to try to get me to miss the email that comes days after my request for transfer or in good faith as a security measure? I feel as if only transfers from Web.com operated registrars take this long. Others take seconds/minutes.
  3. Why am I being served ads on Register.com (on intranet side)? If I am paying for their services then why is there interface (while I am logged in) serving me ads? This seems ridiculousness to me from a UX perspective.
These are just a few of the things that bother me (I probably have more but...), feel free to add or defend. I just don't understand some of the annoying decisions they make for a few extra dollars - these decisions have caused me to move all my domain names away from any Web.com related registrar. I need faster transfers and a better UX and UI.

I do feel like there customer service has been good to me, although the only time I have needed them is when I bought a "buy now" domain name through Network Solutions for $3k and the UI saying it didn't go through (despite my bank contacting me for confirmation). After getting the message it didn't, I submitted again and same thing. Then submitted again and same thing. Finally, I checked my email and had 3 different bills for the same domain name for $3k a piece (LMAO). Customer service was very kind, although I had to reschedule the appointment to figure out about 16 hours later only to find out the domain was not for sale despite the listing. But they were nice and this happens all the time with all auction/buy now sites (happened to me with Sedo as well with stoner.com which required me to wire the money to them - had to one-on-one with my bank rep and explain why I was purchasing stoner.com only to have the transfer come back because domain listing was bs despite being listed within the last 7 days - and I lost $30 in tx fees). But this is not about Sedo - I actually love Sedo even though they could have better customer service and monitoring, this is about Web.com related registrars.

What is your opinion and am I missing the advantage to using them? Are they more secure? They definitely don't have the lowest prices or best UI. Let me know what you think - if you like them then please change my view because Network Solutions used to be the best and its depressing to experience what I have had to deal with when any of my recently purchased aftermarket domains are associated with them lately.

Thanks - I hope this isn't taken as a jab at them but more as a possible misunderstanding.
-Shig

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't like them but for a $1 hand reg. I can't complain too much.

•••
I don't like them but for a $1 hand reg. I can't complain too much.

Thanks – Didn't know that. That would be a good reason for new buyers to go with them. That makes more sense. Appreciate it.

•••
•••
•••
$1 dollar for first year. $38 for renewal – WTF?. That's some scandalous bullsh*t if you ask me. That convinces me they went sh*tty. Will continue to transfer away from that scam.

Yes. My plan is to reg. for $1 then sell before the 1 year is up OR transfer the better names out to one of my fave registrars and keep them there. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back