Dynadot

Opera Technologies wants my domain?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
:hi:

I received an email from someone claiming to be the VP for a company named Opera Technologies. The author of the email stated that his company was buying domain names as secondary investments. He asked how much I wanted for the domain. I replied to the email with my $XXX price. He responded later in the day saying that the company would purchase my domain name and he also wanted to know how I would prefer to be compensated for the purchase (PP, wire, check). He also wanted a professional appraisal of the domain name at his company's expense.

Here's the thing: I find it very odd that a company VP would email me regarding a domain purchase unless they had an interest in developing the site, and even then I believe that someone lower on the food chain would handle this. Has anyone heard of this company or have any knowledge of whether this is legit or not?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds like a scam. Beware.

•••
•••
•••
Lots of scams out there... Sorry this wasnt an honest offer :td:

•••
I just got one from him too....

Hello,

Could you send me price for the name mentioned in the subject line?

By the way, investing in domain names is not the main direction of our business but a good way to generate additional income.

If you have other domain names for sale please send us the complete list with prices for consideration.

I'm a very busy person so it may take several hours before I respond :)

Looking forward to do business with you.

Regards,
Andrew Oldstrom
Vice President
Opera Technologies

It's a new domain (I got here at NP last week) so I think the guy is among us, watching. :alien:

Last edited:
•••
i got so many of them actually i can form a blog out of em
this happened when i got listed on sedo.com but not blaming them.
they might be running some mass whois program on parked sedo domains that's why they can get your email.

•••
-db- said:
I want one! I want one!

I've never had one :( :'(

•••
B33R said:
I want one! I want one!

SUBJECT: All of your domains.

Hello B33R,

Could you send me price for all the names mentioned in the subject line?

By the way, investing in domain names is not the main direction of my business but it is a good way to generate additional income. Especially if
you fall for it.

If you have other domain names for sale please send us the complete list with prices for consideration. Better yet, I'll take em all!

I'm a very busy person so it may take several weeks before I respond :)
But in the meantime you can get useless apprasials at your expense in hopes that I am a legitimate buyer after ALL your domains!

Regards,
Andrew Oldstrom
Vice President
Opera Technologies

Now you've had one :p

•••
B33R said:
I want one! I want one!

You really need to keep up with the crowd then :]

mis_chiff said:
SUBJECT: All of your domains.

Hello B33R,

Could you send me price for all the names mentioned in the subject line?

By the way, investing in domain names is not the main direction of my business but it is a good way to generate additional income. Especially if
you fall for it.

If you have other domain names for sale please send us the complete list with prices for consideration. Better yet, I'll take em all!

I'm a very busy person so it may take several weeks before I respond :)
But in the meantime you can get useless apprasials at your expense in hopes that I am a legitimate buyer after ALL your domains!

Regards,
Andrew Oldstrom
Vice President
Opera Technologies

Now you've had one :p

wow mis_chiff is the man! :laugh:

•••
Hi guys

Yeah, I have been emailed by this scam artist before also. It was when I just began domaining and was very green. Fortunately I didn't support his company by getting an appraisal through them but I did lose money by getting an appraisal through afternic for it. Oh well, you live and you learn. Just let it be a warning to everyone to steer clear of any emails from this supposed company! :td:

•••
-db- said:

It's a new domain (I got here at NP last week) so I think the guy is among us, watching. :alien:

:(
This is EXACTLY the same email I got. Duma$$ scammers!

•••
frankly when i receive my first opera email i was very excited thought it's a sale i shouted and jumped up and down, and then logged in to namepros (as my daily habit is) and then searched "opera" and my happiness changed to anger.
B33R said:
I want one! I want one!

maybe came from me i was so angry i emailed him about this thread and other threads on warnings and alerts for "opera"

-db- said:

•••
I've replied to this bozo a few times - always something like:

Hey thanks for the interest. I want $1 million via bank transfer. I don't need an appraisal and neither do you as suggested by your interest in my domain.

... yet strangely enough every two weeks or so one or two pop into my email account. He must have enough people conned each week to keep it up. I just delete them now - what's the point.

•••
it is a daily scam

but long time haven't received it again, I am abit missing it :)

•••
whitebark said:
I've replied to this bozo a few times - always something like:

Hey thanks for the interest. I want $1 million via bank transfer. I don't need an appraisal and neither do you as suggested by your interest in my domain.

... yet strangely enough every two weeks or so one or two pop into my email account. He must have enough people conned each week to keep it up. I just delete them now - what's the point.

Just noticed in your post that your name is Roy. :hehe: Nice to know you, my name is Roy, also. Not a common name, so it's funny when you see someone with the same name. :)

•••
InsideDN said:
wow mis_chiff is the man! :laugh:
mis_chiff is the woman! :lol:

mis_chiff, you rock! I've wanted one of those emails for months! You're the greatest!

Where should I get the appraisal? ;) :laugh: :tu:

rjbonline said:
Just noticed in your post that your name is Roy. :hehe: Nice to know you, my name is Roy, also. Not a common name, so it's funny when you see someone with the same name. :)
Two Roys don't make a right! :p

I wanna be part of the Roy Club! I've only got one wrong letter!!! :laugh:

•••
B33R said:
mis_chiff is the woman! :lol:

mis_chiff, you rock! I've wanted one of those emails for months! You're the greatest!

Where should I get the appraisal? ;) :laugh: :tu:

Dear B33R,

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my email.
Proving once again the scams work.

Please feel free to get your apprasial done at
WeScamYou4Sure.com

Be sure to include your $69.00 USD paypal payment.
:laugh:

(:bah:)

•••
Funny, I was just thinking about these guys today wondering if they had closed up shop. Apparently not.

•••
B33R said:
Two Roys don't make a right! :p

:laugh:

Only in Canada eh! :lol:

•••
I'm going to move this thread to Warnings & Alerts.

$100 cash reward if anybody ever discovers he has a NP membership, and his user name.

:!:

•••
-db- said:

$100 cash reward if anybody ever discovers he has a NP membership, and his user name.

I'm on it :laugh:

What's his name?

•••
-db- said:

woohoo! :)

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back