IT.COM

Off grid jungle domainer help?

NameSilo
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
I'm going hiking later this year for 2 weeks and need to find a portable solar panel that can charge a laptop and smartphone simultaneously. This is going to be sunny wilderness with no cabled electricity supply. Anyone have experience with off grid domaining or advice (apart from "don't go")? Cheers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hope your WIFI hotspot connection is strong.. and get your WILL done.

Wear a GPS tracker just incase Bigfoot did not eat you up...
Don't want you to be like the Into the Wild...

Q: why didn't he take some survival courses before going deep into the Alaska wilderness??
He died because of his ignorance and experience!! blame himself.

•••
Off grid domaining? Really?
? Hiking or Camping?
- Do you need to charge by 110v 3prong wall charger? Tablet / Just phone == much much simpler.
- Local or diff country? Sure your internet will work? Watch out for strange IP addresses as you might get flagged and have a hard time restoring your account (static VPN would cure)
- double check charger + computer watt/amp.
- While SDDs are tougher than HDDs, hard walking will jar it. Make sure you have back-ups. Linux on usb for worse case.
- you'll look like a noob.
- Screen cleaning: good cloth/wipes. Not water or hand wipes!! You don't want 12,675 micro scratches
- Night use attracts bugs/bats that love to land on your head and yoties. Let night be night.
- if going to a popular place fellow hikers will want to use, fights can start.
- Sand,water,rocks (falls) end it all: keep Painters Tape on ports, Pelican case, WP bag.
- Stay in Battery saving mode,keep Browser cache, lower light level (general batt saving tips)
- WP bag in case camelpak breaks.
- spare batt for laptop, expensive but maybe worth it.
- Ounces lead to pounds!!
- TEST all Gear / setup before!
Camp out in yard a few times, test charger (might take a long long time)

Experience = hunter, hiker (AT), OIF & OEF, rural living.

•••
use the two weeks to unload broski life will be over before work is :)

•••
Lets hope clear sky's for those panels.. else bring along a handful of power banks. I think you should bring a fax and printer too though, just in case.. :P

But seriously, love the wilderness treks. The only tech I ever bring is a small radio for weather updates, anything more may as well just stay home. Embrace nature, ditch the artificial gadgetry that nature does fine without and so should we when we're with her. Unplug online!

Your domains will be there when you get back, I promise they won't miss you. I expect a couple of good deep-woods stories for us when you return.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
We travel and live full time in a travel trailer for the most part these days, which is equipped with solar panels and x2 deep cycle marine batteries. When not hooked to shorepower, we can boondock and run our 12v residential sized fridge, lights, laptops, smartphones, and other devices for 24 to 48 hours before needing to kick on a generator for 30 minutes to top off the batteries.

When on the go, outside the rv, we use patriot power cells: https://4patriots.com/products/patriot-power-cell-four-packs to charge our mobile devices.

For internet/wifi/mifi.... we use a combination of 3 nationwide options. 1. At&t data from our smartphone plan. 2. 50gb per month for $50 on the sprint and t-mobile networks thru boostmobile using their wireless, pocket-sized, mifi/wifi router. 3. Free wifi hotspots, when applicable.

On the trails it's handy to have more than one carrier network to navigate some of the dead spots.

Our mifi pocket router has been very reliable for the last 3 years and counting.

My wife and I generally use way less than 25gb per mo. For work, so that leaves 25gb for entertainment or extra work. Streaming uses an average of 1gb per hour, so the extra 25gb gives us 25 hours of streaming.

Since we juggle x2 different carriers plans we rarely, if ever, run out of our budgeted data.

As I usually say though. What works for one, may not work for others. Results always vary.

Last edited:
•••
@Eric Lyons Patriot 4 seems like a good option for phones and tablets. More compact than fold out solar panels. Could run my domain name monetisation business from a phone and tablet (rather than a laptop). Pretty cool that $ 30 gets you a solar smartphone charger. I could easily run 100% of core tasks from a smartphone. But a tablet or laptop makes life easier. Need to find a combo that charges below the 8000 mAh lithium ion battery capacity. Laptops are 50000 mAh and then some. Current phone battery is 3000 mAh. Started looking for tablets under 5000 mAh any suggestions? Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
You might consider an all-weather solar power backpack with rechargeable batteries ...enjoy the nature :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
@Eric Lyons Patriot 4 seems like a good option for phones and tablets. More compact than fold out solar panels. Could run my domain name monetisation business from a phone and tablet (rather than a laptop). Pretty cool that $ 30 gets you a solar smartphone charger. I could easily run 100% of core tasks from a smartphone. But a tablet or laptop makes life easier. Need to find a combo that charges below the 8000 mAh lithium ion battery capacity. Laptops are 50000 mAh and then some. Current phone battery is 3000 mAh. Started looking for tablets under 5000 mAh any suggestions? Cheers.
You should be able to ditch the power cord on the laptop, if it's a newer model with a usb-c port.

You can charge a laptop with a usb-c smartphone charger, or any usb to usb-c charging station, however, it's a slower trickle charge and not rapid.

Basically, if you have a usb-c port on your laptop, you get a cord with a usb male on one end and a usb-c male on the other. Plug the usb-c into laptop and the usb end into a usb solar battery, like the patriot I referenced.

You can clip two or three to your backpack so they constantly charge in the day while hiking. You can even charge devices while the batteries are being charged by the sun, so you can conserve the batteries left when the sun goes down.

I don't care for tablets as much as laptops, so the above works for me.

You may be able to find a chromebook with 10 in. screen in the bestbuy red box/returns section for $99. We use one of those just for entertainment.

For more info on usb-c charging, this article might have more information: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/charging-via-usb-c/

And this one explains more about the chromebook and usb-c charging: https://www.chargerharbor.com/best-power-banks-for-usb-c-chromebooks/

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back