IT.COM

Here’s why domainer Tim Schoon chooses eBay to auction off 150 LLLL.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Tim is currently auctioning off 150 four letter .com domains on eBay at no-reserve. I asked him why he decided to auction off these names right now and Tim explained to me that it’s tax season in the Netherlands and he’s raising funds to pay taxes. Because LLLL are very liquid they are a great way to raise funds quickly.

He added: four-letters domains have been going up and down quite a bit during the past months. I think that we’re on the low end of the curve right now so I’m not too happy about having to sell these right now. I bought most of them years ago for pennies on the dollar so it should still be a good profit. I tried to list a mix of different types of domains, so there are some Chips, western premiums, a few CVCV’s and others.

Back in October last year Tim sold 118 four-letter .coms at Chinese marketplace 4.cn. So why go with eBay this time around? The batch sold at 4.cn was mainly attractive to the Chinese market Tim explained. The domains I’m auctioning now have more of a global audience so a global marketplace would be more appropriate. eBay is not as widely used for domain auctions as for example Namejet or Sedo, but it has many perks. The commission is fairly low compared to most other venues, the listings are very flexible and for new buyers it’s really easy to create an account and start bidding. eBay also offers some protection for both the buyer and seller which eliminates the need for an Escrow service on the smaller transactions.

Source

Well, would you auction off your domains at eBay? I don't think ebay receives that many buyer's attention as a domaining platform. So, I never bother to use it.

How about you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pretty impressive results overall, IMO. A few examples:

ggms.com $1,800.
Excellent bid on a WeChip.

gixa.com (CVCV) $3,600.
hehi.com (CVCV) $3,300.
rawo.com (CVCV) $2,800.

Last edited:
•••
Word spreads quickly when there is 150 of them. That's all it takes to over come the ebay domain platform gutter effect. Dont try it with just one lol

•••
I got one of them. Not a bad price I might add.

•••
•••
I'm only seeing 2 active auctions for LLNN. Is the user name different or have they all quickly been sold at BIN?

•••
Except for the two you've mentioned, all were sold at "No Reserve" auctio.
Bought one...

•••
•••
I guess I'm a little late then...

•••
I was hoping to ask Tim some questions, he made an appearance in the LLLL thread past couple days, but I was figuring he will be quite busy for next few days c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ pushing domains and finalizing sales, so in a few days maybe he will share more here. Good info already in the article @Arpit131 provided.

(PS I don't know Tim, I just found the sales on eBay, then happened to read his reply here to know he was an NPer)

Congrats to all buyers, there were some nice names and good deals, and to Tim of course : smile :

As to the question of Would I use eBay for domains - proly not, I am still new and I do not get how domain SELLERS are protected on eBay, but I did pick up a nice one word aged bargain in the past week, my first domain purchase on eBay,

•••
•••
That's lucky @Mr. Deleted for a hand snipe. I use snipe software so I was just purely outbid, better right now for my budget anyway. More will come around, there are after all 456,976 4L in existence.

Last edited:
•••
What protection does ebay provide with domain sales, haven't been on ebay in years?

•••
What protection does ebay provide with domain sales, haven't been on ebay in years?
Full refund, if your feedback good.

•••
Just the ones that closed yesterday came to $55,251 (rounding each sale because eBay has cents). Not bad considering very few were quad premium either in China or the West.

•••
Full refund, if your feedback good.
I was selling cookbooks there, and there are 900+ recipes in it, but I clearly stated, no returns, but one customer complained about the recipes, and I said I dont want the cookbook back (it would cost me more to ship it to someone else than to let them keep it, as I was drop-shipping)... And then ebay actually paid for the refund, and did not require me to pay for the item.

•••
Just the ones that closed yesterday came to $55,251 (rounding each sale because eBay has cents). Not bad considering very few were quad premium either in China or the West.
Nice, so what amount did he need for his taxes, hopefully not that much.

•••
nice, just bought a bunch from him. good business man

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back