Dynadot

Obviously I'm doing something wrong

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey,

I'm trying to advertise my new forum: http://forum.mattsprojects.net

But even with a $50 incentive, I'm failing to attract new members and activity.

($50 awarded to highest poster after 200 members)

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Matt, I think the problem is nobody wants to spend hours trying to out-post 200 other contestants, knowing they have little chance of winning a measley 50 bucks. Offer each poster a guaranteed prize and you'll get some response.

•••
In summer, one of the forums that I know put that 50$ contest and what a rush it got.

I think it depends on what kind of audience you have and then how much time they have in their hands.

Gamehouse

compuXP said:
Hey,

I'm trying to advertise my new forum: http://forum.mattsprojects.net

But even with a $50 incentive, I'm failing to attract new members and activity.

($50 awarded to highest poster after 200 members)

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Matt

•••
"Cannot Find Server" error. Anyways did you try reaching out to different communities? Gamers, etc?

Im sure it will pick up in time. Great things always take time.

Edit: It loaded now. Anyways the forums looks nice. Try joining design/graphic forums and let people know "its out there".

Spy

•••
Hm, maybe you're right.... thanks for the suggestions :)

•••
4 things:

1. start some interesting threads. no one likes to post in a forum where there is almost nothing to read. create some 5 threads or so daily .... doesnt matter if there are no replies... eventually there will be :)

2. lift off the RSS for the last 10 forum threads/posts and display them in a box on your site's home page in an attractive manner to encourage more click throughs to your forum sub-domain.

3. make it so that the last 3-5 folks who join on your forums have their home pages linked to from the home page of your site (make it dynamically updating .... this is an incentive that webproworld.com uses BTW and it works ... at least some folks join for free traffic and "some" PR...)

4. write a script using the google api and appropriate keywords that automatically finds out forums that have been newly launched and that have topics similar to what your forum is all about (Forum: every forum software has a particular kind of URL structure that lets you identify it as a page with a forum.... use this with the inurl qualifier and other keywords related to what your forum is all about to get a list of forums related to yours........ using alexa data you can then automaticlly let the script sort the websites list on the oldness or newness of the forum/site...... once you have this list of about lets say a thousand forums, contact the webmasters of the newer forums (because they'll prolly be in the same boat as you are).. say 5 a day, and offer to post a few times on their forums in exchange for them posting on your forums ....... these kind of people are more likely to post sensible stuff rather than thanks ! LOL! how nice ! stuff ;) hehe

•••
Wow, thanks for the suggetions :)

•••
I also suggest doing something more with the header. Matt's Projects E-Network Forum with four apples in the header... I really have no idea what the subject of your forum is.

•••
4 apples? The idea is that no four apples are alike ;)

But thanks, I'll try to work out a different technique.

•••
i like the 4 apples thing :)

as for MPR .... it's like this : since it includes your name, it is music to your ears :) but to someone else, it'll look like an extension to your personal site...... you might want to brand it differently...

•••
Branding... well the MPR(-EN) part is already there and is going to stay, I mean... take a quick look at Digital Point ;)

But I value your suggestion, never thought of that... I don't get how my name is degrading? :(

•••
compuXP said:
I don't get how my name is degrading? :(

:o degrading :o ouch, i didnt mean that ! hehe

•••
Well, I had a look at your forum, and there is nothing really differentiating you from all of the other countless forums which have the same target market and are already established. You need a USP which sets you apart from competitors and which users find useful.

•••
True, but forums are so popular, it's TOUGH to come up with something unique... even I can't think of anything but more generous incentives....

What do you mean by USP?

•••
Your offering too much. No one wants to put a bunch of work into a site that has no traffic. So spread your prizes out. Offer lower prizes for smaller amounts of work.

John

Also you got TOOO many categories/forums. Cut some of them out until their needed. Having a bunch of forums with little to no posts turns viewers off. Having a couple forums with a couple posts a day can make the biggest difference!

•••
compuXP said:
True, but forums are so popular, it's TOUGH to come up with something unique... even I can't think of anything but more generous incentives....

What do you mean by USP?

By USP I mean unique selling point. Something to totally differentiate yourself. Like NamePros has the Domain Registration system.

•••
Sometimes you don't even need a USP. Look at iwebtool. Same forum and they are doing good for themselves. This shows you don't need something unique. Mind you if its unique it is easier to market.

John

•••
jmweb said:
Sometimes you don't even need a USP. Look at iwebtool. Same forum and they are doing good for themselves. This shows you don't need something unique. Mind you if its unique it is easier to market.

John

You need a USP to attract visitors. They already do....

•••
There are a lot of webmaster communities currently. Mainly offering the same thing. Having a USP certainly helps, but marketing is what its all about.

John

•••
jmweb said:
There are a lot of webmaster communities currently. Mainly offering the same thing. Having a USP certainly helps, but marketing is what its all about.

John

Thats what people don't seem to understand. Marketing is NOT advertising. Marketing is the whole process of identifying what users wants and needs are and providing it to them. So, yes your right, it's all about marketing but having a USP is part of that.

•••
Hmm... I'll cut down on the amount of boards.

Thanks everyone, I'll also think of some way to make the boards unique... does anybody have any ideas? I know it's tough, I can donate some $$ for really good ideas, rep for any unique ideas that make sense.

-Matt

•••
I cut down the boards by like half, a little more than that actually.

What else can I do to make it unique?

•••
Matt,

It's pretty nice actually. The top is a bit cluttered and I'm not sure why there are apples as it isn't a farming forum.

Something to think about: people don't generally want to be on MATTS PWNAGE FORUM because it's sort of like saying I'm the admin, the forum should be named after me. I did this before. I had forum.taylorhewitt.com and it didn't do too well. I could have it all wrong but this is something I've thought about and it makes sense. Maybe change the name.

Another thing - subdomain? It doesn't proclaim it's importance to the world while upon a subdomain platform. Maybe get it it's own domain and people will pay more attention to it.

Good luck Matt!

•••
Apples are cool :)

Again, take a look at DigitalPoint... it's a company and they have some of the most popular webmaster forums online.

The idea isn't that you're posting under "Matt's Pwn4ge F0rum", but rather just a place to discuss, a gathering of webmasters, designers, programmers, etc.

As for a subdomain, I don't see why it hurts? I don't really want to get it its own domain just to redirect to a sub...

•••
Who said anything about redirecting to a subdomain? Get it its own domain!

I've never heard of DigitalPoint but you say it's a company. That means that it has more money than you do and has made a name for itself I assume. How's this:

If Tom Cruise made a general discussion forum where he was the admin and he was very active then I'm sure it would get tons of members. I'm not putting you down but to the average person, Matt Whateveryourlastnameis, is nobody.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back