IT.COM

opinion Numeric Domain Name Investing - Part 3: Opportunity?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
Previous: Part 2.

The number 4 is back from the dead!

The dreaded number 4 gets a bad rap! If you go to Namebio.com and do a search for sales with number 4, in all extensions, you will discover there is over 4,000 recorded sales! In just .com alone there are over 300 which is only growing from when I checked a few weeks ago. Switching to 44 drops the sales figures dramatically, but many of the sales are this year! If you go even further and do a check for 444 .coms you will see that there are only 19, and 13 of them were this year. I smell a trend!

Consider supply and demand and the limited quantity of domains. Some of the “triples” are with letters and at the start or the finish. Some are in different numeric domain businesses ranging from 4N up to 6N. 4N holders would have purchased these names for pennies on the dollar in the past! So let’s say that these “shareholders” realized the value would increase and the supply would diminish. As we head towards the final buyout of the 6N domain name business shares we can still find many 4’s alongside some great numbers and patterns. Don’t completely ignore this situation. It may be worth the work if you can find a good pattern and a number 8. As mentioned, there are now people making good money because they did not shy away from the stigma associated with this digit. There will be some good sales with this number in the future. It may be a case of waiting for a while, but the end result could outweigh the overall cost: 3 to 4 years of registration fees.

Other Numbers Not To Ignore

The other numbers such as 5,2,7 and 0 are possible opportunities. Many folk do not like the 0 at the start of a numeric domain name business share, but what would 0044.com be worth today? Or perhaps 00444.com? Repeating numbers and patterns contribute to these domains being “ordinary shares” possibly “gold class.” In the near future it’s possible their value will surely grow beyond expectations that we had only a year ago! There does seems to be some conjecture over what is a good number even now that a lot of info is shared on forums and blogs.

Remember that these are only my opinions and I encourage you to do your own research. Again, I suggest asking someone familiar with Chinese culture and the importance they place on numbers if you’re in doubt. They’ll be flattered to hear that they’ve become an “expert” in this area and you usually get the best information from the source. The 4N numeric domain name business shares are a classic example of value over time. You need to consider your motives: quick flip or long term? Remember the Internet is very young and there is a lot of money going into it every day! It may be a case of buying the worst house on the best street and letting the value catch up to your investment.

Read the last installment, Part 4: Patterns

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back