IT.COM

opinion Numeric Domain Name Investing - Part 4: Patterns

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
Previous: Part 3.

There are patterns in 7N-9N numeric domain name markets.

In a world of short domains there are many opportunities in longer domain name business shares. The secret will be the readability of these numeric domain name business shares. It’s not too hard to imagine that a domain like 222666999.com will be more desirable than 2269926996.com. The first example is obviously much easier to read and therefore much more memorable! I believe that the 9N numeric domain name business shares that have repeating patterns of triple numbers will one day become a sought after commodity. I find this especially true if they match a personal or business phone number. It could be a case of "here is my domain, ring it or use it to get to my Facebook page." This could become an important class of numeric domain name shares. Examples like 7766550.com or 666100100.com may increase in value.

I believe when you register a longer numeric domain name share you need to consider if it will pass the “readability test.” Will you know what the domain is in less than a second? Or will you have to check again to confirm the numbers and pattern? I recently considered registering a numeric domain name share that was a 9N. It was a .com with "888 800 800." Lot’s of eights, but I decided against it. Why? When I put it all together it became 888800800.com. I felt the beginning contained an element of confusion in the readability test. It takes a moment to acknowledge the presence of four number eights. In the end I decided that 888008008.com was slightly easier to read.

The previous night I registered a numeric domain name share that I though was easy to read. The domain in question was 000800800.com. Although, not an exact example of repeating triple 9N, in my opinion, it is much easier to comprehend than 888800800.com. Perhaps you may consider this when searching for this class of numeric domain business shares. I believe the look of a long domain has to feel right. I have come across many combinations, and sometimes after staring at a name for five minutes I decide against because it just doesn’t look right.

I do have one or two 10N domains, mostly because of their readability factor. They are both easy to read and remember when using a pattern like AABBCCDDEE. It's possible that the use of only odd or even numbers can come into play. I have one 8N numeric domain name business share that is descending in order: DDCCBBAA. It contains the dreaded number 4, however, I'm positive that it's memorability outweighs its negative aspects.

Numbers such as 828 are popular and can add value to numeric domain name business share. I implemented this element into a recent registration for the domain 800200800.com. Again very easy to read and remember. Food for thought: patterns will add some value when registering your longer numeric domain name business shares. Perhaps it is the way we are programmed to remember longer numeric sequences because of phone numbers. The simple fact is the amount of use for the internet is only going to grow and what we call short now may not be the same in only the next five years. Remember all those folk that owned the dreaded number 4 in a short numeric domain name business share? Now consider the rewards coming to them. I hope you understand what I am trying to point out. Demand will one day exceed the supply of quality longer numeric domain name shares!

Please note these are only my opinions. There are many links to external information relating to Chinese numbers and their different permutations in the various threads listed in the niche domain forums here at NamePros. I think we can sort them into three standards: ordinary (random numbers), gold class (repeating numbers or preferred numbers), and premium (repeating numbers, patterns and premium numbers such as 8). Your task is figure out what is the best choice, premium 9N’s, or gold class 6N’s and 7N’s or perhaps ordinary 5N’s. Remember this is speculation, but we are seeing exciting times and just possibly the opportunity to plan your investment with great examples! When it comes to pricing, Namebio.com is your best friend enabling you to access recent sales data and trends. This will help you decide on how to price your names and figure out if it's a growing trend or a coincidence.

Again, you must consider your motives. Are you looking for a quick flip or a long-term investment? As for the dividends, they do get paid, except by us to the registrars!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back