Dynadot

opinion Numeric Domain Name Investing - Part 1: Ground Rules

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
There's a few simple tricks when comparing numeric domains to other categories of domain names.

To start, the maximum length of a domain is 253 characters; characters are digits, letters, and hyphens. Although, you would not wish to type in or remember a domain that long! So what's a reasonable amount to consider? Most commonly, we remember phone numbers that are ten digits long. Now in the age of cell phones it's most likely that we'll only remember a few of these that are important like your own and your closest family and friends' numbers.

So how does this affect the value of numeric domains? Well, the simple truth is that in our busy lives, the less we have to deal with the better! A short domain can be an asset simply because of its length and memorability.

Another import trick is to consider the placement of numbers in our numeric domain. Which is easier to recall: 8888 or 5253? We all know the answer to that question. Thus we give the first pattern, 8888, the title of “premium.” It's a premium numeric for a few reasons: length, pattern, and digit quality. The short four digit length combined with the repeating number 8 makes it a sought after numeric domain. Which brings us to our next trick of learning important numbers.

The number 8 is surely the most popular number in the world, and if possible, should be included in your numeric domains. The inclusion of the number 8 will increase the opportunity to sell the domain to investors in Asian markets. Due to their affinity with numeracy in their culture, 8 means luck and good fortune, a quality we all desire! The security of a good investment comes with wise choices at the start. Conversely, the number 4 is frowned upon in Asian culture due to its association with the Cantonese word “sie” meaning death.

In certain circumstances the number 4 is a good thing. When the number 8 precedes the number 4 in a combination, they sound the same as saying “forever prosperous.” We have now established the number 4 can actually become an asset! Remember that it all depends upon the placement of the frowned upon number 4. Yet again I will ask what is easier to remember: 4444 or 5243? Of course the first option is easier than the second due to the repeating number sequence. I would actually suggest that the 4444 is “gold class” due to the length and the repetition of the numbers.

We are now starting to see conflicting evidence as to what is the best choice. There is more than just one factor to consider when registering or buying a numeric domain name: content (numbers), amount of characters (length), and now the other important feature (possibly the most important) the extension. The .COM extension is considered “king.” Simply put, this was the first of the extensions to be embraced worldwide, which means it is part of our lives and the next generation’s lives. Even if the new gtlds take hold, you will always see a .COM address associated with most businesses due to the familiarity of the extension. You could consider it to be a “safe bet.” The new gtld’s will only become well known when the next “Facebook” or something else that changes the world comes along. Even then there is a good chance that this new entity will use a .COM address because of the world’s acceptance of this extension! At this point we have the knowledge that content, length and extension are the most important things to consider when entering the numeric domaining realm.

A little bit more on the extension aspect to numeric domain name investing. Even though China has their own extension, .CN, over the years it has been an up and down ride. There has been some restrictions that has scared off many possible investors in the past (myself Included). The stability of an extension is crucial and it is only now that .CN may be worth investigating into. It was only recently that when you searched for a .CN you would get a notice stating “Requires a Chinese Presence.” This means you needed a real Chinese based address to register these names. In some circumstance you could use an “agent” who would supply their business address on your behalf. Still a little bit risky (the rules can change).

So, once again we find that the .COM choice remains the best. Also, it opens up the numeric domain sale to the entire globe. Most investors will not buy into a numeric cctld (Country Code Top Level Domain) unless they live in that country. I have just tried to register a .CN domain name and after indicating I am an individual and not a business, the registration appeared to go through. Here is the message I received from Dynadot after the registration (basically it means you can’t easily park this name):

“The CN central registry, no longer requires documentation to register a .Cn domain. However if you want to set name servers for your .Cn domain, you will need to submit the following documentation: [retracted]

If you are an individual, please provide a photo ID, such as a Passport or Identification Card, along with its ID number.

[retracted]

If you are a business, please provide a copy of your business license, such as Articles of Incorporation, along with the license number.

[retracted]

The name on your ID or License must match exactly with your Whois contact information. If that is not the case, please update your Whois contact record information. If that is not the case, please update your Whois information.”

As you can see even now, it is slightly involved, but do I feel confident that my new registration is safe and will remain in my possession? Not entirely, but for the purpose of this article I have gone through the process. Plus the registration fee was under $10. Point being, I now have a name that has an element of uncertainty! You do not get that when using .COM domain name.

Remember that these are only my opinions and I encourage you to do your own research. I would suggest perhaps keeping an eye on the Chinese market as time goes by, but it’s worth remembering that you are at the governing body’s mercy (CNNIC). Once more we learn the extension plays a large part in the value of a domain name. Sure there are sales in other extensions but the .COM remains the most “liquid’ extension.

Coming up next is Part 2: The Big Secret

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back