IT.COM

Now you can't get away from GoDaddy ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MA000

Established Member
Impact
Dan.com was good .. now its down for me since it have been sold to Godaddy !

should we expect a raise for Dan.com fees, since Godaddy charges 20% ?

should we expect Dan.com alternative soon ?

Godaddy now is everywhere !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dan has been down for you for a week+? I haven't noticed any downtime, that might be something to look into on your end, unless you're being hyperbolic and you just have a seething hatred for GoDaddy that you're now projecting onto Dan.com, in which case, I don't think it really matters what they do, respectfully. I don't like GoDaddy, either, just for the record.

It took GoDaddy like 600000 years to do a minor visual update for Afternic that was still notably worse than other options, so I wouldn't worry about anything moving too quickly here...

I dunno, wait and see if GoDaddy raises the prices or not, right? This could be much ado about nothing. You can spend the next year stressing about that and it never happens, or you can just go about your business and cross that bridge when it happens, if it happens.

Or you can import your portfolio into domain.io and have your buyers reach out to you via email and use PayPal for your transactions, or Escrow, but imo the Dan integration is a huge plus of Domain.io, especially since you get the reduced commission (as far as I understand). Domain.io is *chef's kiss*, but it doesn't solve your Dan problems, and I could see them getting bought by GoDaddy too, since they seem to have realized that it's easier to just buy companies that work much better than Afternic instead of trying to fix Afternic.

•••
Dan has been down for you for a week+? I haven't noticed any downtime, that might be something to look into on your end, unless you're being hyperbolic and you just have a seething hatred for GoDaddy that you're now projecting onto Dan.com, in which case, I don't think it really matters what they do, respectfully. I don't like GoDaddy, either, just for the record.

It took GoDaddy like 600000 years to do a minor visual update for Afternic that was still notably worse than other options, so I wouldn't worry about anything moving too quickly here...

I dunno, wait and see if GoDaddy raises the prices or not, right? This could be much ado about nothing. You can spend the next year stressing about that and it never happens, or you can just go about your business and cross that bridge when it happens, if it happens.

Or you can import your portfolio into domain.io and have your buyers reach out to you via email and use PayPal for your transactions, or Escrow, but imo the Dan integration is a huge plus of Domain.io, especially since you get the reduced commission (as far as I understand). Domain.io is *chef's kiss*, but it doesn't solve your Dan problems, and I could see them getting bought by GoDaddy too, since they seem to have realized that it's easier to just buy companies that work much better than Afternic instead of trying to fix Afternic.

lol u wish.. everyone is always quick to raise fees..that's not an update

•••
lol u wish.. everyone is always quick to raise fees..that's not an update

https://managewp.com/blog/managewp-joins-godaddy

I was using ManageWP before this ^ happened and I'm still paying the same price today.

Another company that GoDaddy bought is Media Temple. I went to look at the cost of an entry-level Media Temple hosting plan back in 2012 using Wayback, before GoDaddy acquired them, and it was $20. Today, it's still $20.

Maybe someone else knows... Did GoDaddy quickly raise the prices at Uniregistry after buying them? What about DNAcademy, are they still charging the same fees or have they raised them? If anything, I can see GoDaddy giving parts of the courses away for free, or being able to charge a lot less due to the massive scale of their customer base, and that it'll directly help their domain sales and registrations.

My point is, no, everyone isn't always quick to raise fees. Here's multiple examples of GoDaddy buying a company and not raising fees in 5-10+ years.

Until there's any indication whatsoever that GoDaddy is going to raise the fees at Dan, it's just way too soon to worry about.

You guys have really gotta stop making be defend GoDaddy :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
https://managewp.com/blog/managewp-joins-godaddy

I was using ManageWP before this ^ happened and I'm still paying the same price today.

Another company that GoDaddy bought is Media Temple. I went to look at the cost of an entry-level Media Temple hosting plan back in 2012 using Wayback, before GoDaddy acquired them, and it was $20. Today, it's still $20.

Maybe someone else knows... Did GoDaddy quickly raise the prices at Uniregistry after buying them? What about DNAcademy, are they still charging the same fees or have they raised them? If anything, I can see GoDaddy giving parts of the courses away for free, or being able to charge a lot less due to the massive scale of their customer base, and that it'll directly help their domain sales and registrations.

My point is, no, everyone isn't always quick to raise fees. Here's multiple examples of GoDaddy buying a company and not raising fees in 5-10+ years.

Until there's any indication whatsoever that GoDaddy is going to raise the fees at Dan, it's just way too soon to worry about.

You guys have really gotta stop making be defend GoDaddy :ROFL:

u seem to go in circles I'm talking raising sale fees only.. not raising domain prices at unireg or whatever other fees u speak of for whatever site... sale fee.is easy quick cash ...besides from marketing view it doesnt even make sense to charge 5 or 10percent here. .and 20 there... they have to even out

•••
u seem to go in circles I'm talking raising sale fees only.. not raising domain prices at unireg or whatever other fees u speak of for whatever site... sale fee.is easy quick cash ...besides from marketing view it doesnt even make sense to charge 5 or 10percent here. .and 20 there... they have to even out

You said everyone is always raising quickly raising fees, in the context of GoDaddy potentially raising the fees at Dan after buying them.

I demonstrated that GoDaddy hasn't done this in the past when they've purchased businesses.

The exact second GoDaddy raises the fees at Dan is the exact moment it's time to start crying about it, but not any sooner, since there's no reason to believe that GoDaddy will do that.

They don't have a reputation for buying businesses and then raising the fees, any types of fees. I gave examples of times that GoDaddy purchased companies and kept their old pricing structures. They seem to have a reputation for buying businesses and keeping the fees the same for a decade+, and if you factor in inflation and buying power, those fees are actually getting lower over time.

They have a long history of doing the exact opposite of raising fees...

Can you show any example of them buying a business and then quickly raising the fees? Is there one time it's happened?

Last edited:
•••
Can you show any example of them buying a business and then quickly raising the fees? Is there one time it's happened?
This actually happened. GoDaddy acquired Afternic in September 2013. In March 2015, there was a huge NamePros thread about Afternic raising its fees, especially for domains priced <$5,000. NamePros community was not amused.

Last edited:
•••
Dan.com was good .. now its down for me since it have been sold to Godaddy !

should we expect a raise for Dan.com fees, since Godaddy charges 20% ?

should we expect Dan.com alternative soon ?

Godaddy now is everywhere !
Yep the super hero is the super villain so you see normal people anyway. lol.
(unless its worth the performance. loler)

Last edited:
•••
This actually happened. GoDaddy acquired Afternic in September 2013. In March 2015, there was a huge NamePros thread about Afternic raising its fees, especially for domains priced <$5,000. NamePros community was not amused.
Thanks, that's definitely relevant, I wasn't aware of that. Do you recall how big of a raise it was after ~2 years?

I wouldn't even be surprised if the fees went up at Dan at some point, I was just curious if there was any predicent for it with GoDaddy and now I see there is haha.

•••
Thanks, that's definitely relevant, I wasn't aware of that. Do you recall how big of a raise it was after ~2 years?

I wouldn't even be surprised if the fees went up at Dan at some point, I was just curious if there was any predicent for it with GoDaddy and now I see there is haha.
From my personal sales administration, I see that for domains priced below $5,000, Afternic commission went up from 15% to 20%. Below are some screenshots from Internet Archive. The NP thread is here - it starts with some confusing comments, but it's all clear after that.

Fortunately, the design of the Afternic website has remained 100% the same.

September, 2013:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130926083603/afternic.com/sell-domains

Afternic 001.png

April, 2015:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150418222219/afternic.com/sell-domains

Afternic 002.png

•••
Dan committed suicide about 9 months ago. It was dysfunctional since then. Landing ages were not working. New Dan can be bad, but can't be worse, because it was not working anyway. I don't see any change. It is still dead.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back