IT.COM

discuss Now that WW3 has begun (potentially), what might happen in the domain world?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Anyone that keeps up with world events knew this (invasion of Ukraine) was coming. Information that was shared with me a few months ago, and can be found being discussed on the net, was the end game would be Ukraine being broken into 3 separate parts.

The invading communist country would retain/control/absorb the eastern part where the massive deposits of certain metals are located. The central part of the country, if actually allowed to be separate, would likely retain the designation of 'Ukraine' and the western part would become a NATO ally using some adaptation of 'Ukraine'.

The communists will control the lower part of the Dnieper River so raw and processed minerals can be easily moved to their Asian communist brothers (supposedly, arrangements have been made with China regarding mining operation in the soon to be annexed areas by Russia).

Of course, all the above might not happen and Putin will realize the free world is against him, but that did not stop Hitler and will likely not stop Putin (until he is 'allowed' to keep a significant amount of Ukraine).

I've known a few Ukrainians in my life and they were strong and proud and there is no doubt in my mind their countrymen will fight for their country. This means prolonged turmoil for the world on the back of the pandemic upheavals that are just now starting to level out.

I felt the above needed to be said as a backdrop for my question...my heart and prayers go out to the people of Ukraine.

So, the big question is: Will domain sales suffer as a result of the invasion of Ukraine? If so, how significant will the impact be? Additionally, what sector/genre of names will suffer the most? Will any domain sector(s) experience an increase of sales?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As someone in the US I feel very bad for the Ukraine people. They don’t deserve this.

I don’t think it has any impact on domain sales. Politics, world events, wars are ongoing through the course of our lives and people not in the countries mentioned will continue on business as usual.

•••
As someone in the US I feel very bad for the Ukraine people. They don’t deserve this.

I don’t think it has any impact on domain sales. Politics, world events, wars are ongoing through the course of our lives and people not in the countries mentioned will continue on business as usual.

Thanks for your input.

I hope you are correct...it is already the largest military aggression in Europe since WW2. My feeling is that if the conflict is not prolonged, the domain world should stay as 'steady' as it has been over the last two years.

But with the US facing $5-$7 a gallon for gas (and all the price increases that would cause) it might hurt lower priced/valued domains.

I am wondering if the current and future sanctions would interrupt many financial transactions concerning domains.

•••
So, the big question is: Will domain sales suffer as a result of the invasion of Ukraine? If so, how significant will the impact be? Additionally, what sector/genre of names will suffer the most? Will any domain sector(s) experience an increase of sales?

Sanctions will hurt everyone, not just Russia. IMO a financial crisis will follow, in which case, domain investors (as well as other industries) will be tightening their belts and trimming the fat.

•••
WW3 ?
Nothing will happen
Russian forces brake ( enter ) on NATO space & nothing happen
😉

•••
Now that Putin has gone on high nuke alert and there is evidence of vacuum/thermobaric missiles being moved into Ukraine, I've done as much as I can do from an armchair by supporting the refugees.

Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are matching dollar for dollar (up to one million) for those that give today to help refugees fleeing the Ukraine. If so inclined, the link to give is below.

https://give.unrefugees.org/220224u...1K0000022eOkQAI&SF_monthly=7011K0000022eOpQAI

Last edited:
•••
Sanctions will hurt everyone, not just Russia. IMO a financial crisis will follow, in which case, domain investors (as well as other industries) will be tightening their belts and trimming the fat.

Sanctions will hurt everyone somewhat, but not like they will hurt Russia.

Their assets and currency are going to be drastically de-valued because of Putin's actions. They no longer have the ability to prop up the value of their own currency.

Others are going to be less likely to do business with them in general because of their current pariah status.

I didn't actually realize how small Russia's economy was.

They are 11th in GDP of about 1.6T. US is over 22T by comparison. (IMF stats)

For reference other countries -

China - 16T
Japan - 5T
Germany - 4T
UK - 3T
India - 2.9T
France - 2.9T
Italy - 2.1T
Canada - 2T
South Korea - 1.8T

The entire situation is bad.

I feel awful for Ukraine. The fight in their people is amazing.

I feel bad for the normal people in Russia who are against these actions. They going to feel the massive financial fallout from it.

Russia's economic power and currency has been falling for decades before this. If the leadership is replaced with more moderates, it could lead to a financial boom for them long term.

With that said I am far more concerned with the security situation than financial situation. Eventually the world will recover, if it doesn't end in nuclear war.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
invading former russian land has nothing to do with ww3. if Putin had no nukes russia wouldn't even be on a map anymore. because against whole world army russia can.defend for 20hours max.

putin can kiss his nukes for saving his butt

•••
The potential meltdown will likely increase the possibility of a no fly zone if the Russian occupiers can not get power restored either through transmission line repair or by bringing in massive generators. A no fly zone will eventually increase the addition of other countries into the mix.

As far as the domain world goes, I've experienced a flurry of activity on some of my higher grade names. It is coming from different sources, but the lowball figures I am offered are the lowest/worst I've seen.

My assumption is that the potential buyers think now is the time to pick up deals. I've asked them all why they think I would take 250 (or less) for a name that is worth high x,xxx or low xx,xxx. As of now, no one has answered me directly...a couple have increased their offers to very low xxxx.

•••
Wrong thread.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back