Domain Empire

information Not all CHIPS are equal. Buy and sell better

NameSilo
Watch
As in all languages the frequency of letter use, especially Initials offers better opportunities to sell more often at higher prices.
Having studied Chinese/PinYin for 2 years, it was always apparent to me, some letters are used way more often than others.
I looked at the 1000 most used words and worked out the initial letter frequency.
This is my summary which correlates with my experience of having worked in China for 2 years. Ofcourse I will defer to any Chinese person who knows the nuances of the language but from the raw data I think its accurate and useful if investing in CHIPS. Also those letters which are considered both premium in English and Chinese must be where the smart money is.

Premium ZYXSJHDB
Semi Premium WQTNMLKGC
Non Premium RPFEA

Yes there is E and A Notably Ai is Love and Er is the number 2

Also explains why we see some outliners. RPF are not worth as much as ZYX

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Every domainer selling Chinese domains must do research of what the domain might mean. If you won't research, you may sell a domain for less than the actual worth of the domain.

Add the meanings known through translating different combinations of the domain in English and also add Chinese letters in the domain description. The re-seller won't realize the actual worth of the domain unless you will explain the meaning of the domain.

I acquired a 5L.net CHIP for reg-fee at NP auction and after research I realized that the domain has awesome meanings, I then contacted the owner (happened to be Chinese) of the same domain in .com extension and he was asking for $5000+ (30000 RMB).

•••
This is a very interesting and informative thread but then you see a domain like EQV.com sell for $47.5K, with a vowel and a V and makes you scratch your head.

Per the OP:
Premium ZYXSJHDBW
Semi Premium QTNMLKGC
Non Premium RPFEA

Need to be careful here - there can be some shenanigans going on with GoDaddy auctions, all legit but it designed to pump and dump. EVQ.com was owned by a brokerage firm and they still have the ability to renew the name and stop any transfer.
How this pump and dump works is taking advantage of the GoDaddy's expired auction.
The brokerage firm could have easily let the name expire and it automatically goes to GoDaddy's expired auction. The original owner then pumps up the auction price. Once the auction has closed. The original owner has 7 days to renew the name and this cancels the auction. It happened with TVQ.com.
Not saying this has happened but I'm waiting to see the changes to the name servers in the next 7 days as its still possible for the auction to be cancelled.

Also any CHIP 3L.com minimum is now over $60k but I fully agree its way over what you would expect. Low $20K would be normal.

•••
Surprisingly they did fall naturally in 3 categories. What is apparent Z and Y are very high in frequency - if there was super premium it would be these 2 letters. You could move a couple over but they just grouped like this.

•••
•••
Just by looking at the prices paid at Chaomi, I get the feeling that "w" is very much liked by Chinese.

•••
As in all languages the frequency of letter use, especially Initials offers better opportunities to sell more often at higher prices.
Having studied Chinese/PinYin for 2 years, it was always apparent to me, some letters are used way more often than others.
I looked at the 1000 most used words and worked out the initial letter frequency.
This is my summary which correlates with my experience of having worked in China for 2 years. Ofcourse I will defer to any Chinese person who knows the nuances of the language but from the raw data I think its accurate and useful if investing in CHIPS. Also those letters which are considered both premium in English and Chinese must be where the smart money is.

Premium ZYXSJHDB
Semi Premium WQTNMLKGC
Non Premium RPFEA
Yes there is E and A Notably Ai is Love and Er is the number 2

Also explains why we see some outliners. RPF are not worth as much as ZYX
Thanks, that's good to hear as my only chip is ZMBY.

•••
RPFEA are pointed out as "non-premium".Please elaborate on this, because it suggests not registerring these letters, that it are BAD letters (is that so ?)
My Question is => Are these letters to be avoided, or are they simply "normal intrest" ?

@Recons.Com Quiet happy to put W up to premium, its the most frequency letter in the semi premiums and given your research on Chaomi - B has a high frequency and notably Beijing and D is even higher than B so I will leave those. Q is mid frequency within the semi premium set, so will I stay with that.

Premium ZYXSJHDBW
Semi Premium QTNMLKGC
Non Premium RPFEA

•••
•••
Mandarin is going global.

yep True, anything big money is involved the world hug it with both hands and it time for china. But mandarin is not easy to learn or use in computer with 10000 + characters, i feel only people with direct high monetary interest will learn mandarin to the level of fully conversing with a chinese.

•••
This post cleared up a lot for me and certainly confirmed the info I've been reading about CHIPs

•••
How much more is Chinese Premium Premium worth compared to average Chinese Premium?

•••
Okay, as i Understand ygx84.com is not a lame name. or is it? Please, comment it.

•••
Okay, as i Understand ygx84.com is not a lame name. or is it? Please, comment it.

The 4 at the end kills it 88 89 85 would have been so much better. Cant see any value in it but Im not Chinese so I could be missing something but on face value doesn't seem to have any worth.

•••
Coming from the top brokers dealing with China, W is at the top with X and Y. I have also heard that N is weaker than most consonants from a Chinese broker at Namescon.

I have already moved W up as premium giving the comments here. Thanks for info

•••
The 4 at the end kills it 88 89 85 would have been so much better. Cant see any value in it but Im not Chinese so I could be missing something but on face value doesn't seem to have any worth.
What I learned from readin pinyin threads is that 84 means - forever prosperous. And ygx makes it 'cloud based supplies and marketing".

•••
•••
Any Chips that beings with CN, followed by any chips that begins with BJ/SH, followed by any chips that begins with SZ/GZ sells higher and better.
How much higher?

•••
•••
Any Chips that beings with CN, followed by any chips that begins with BJ/SH, followed by any chips that begins with SZ/GZ sells higher and better.
How about those ending in CN? E.g. gxcn, where gx is a province code for Guangxi or gscn where gs is a province code for Gansu?

•••
What about the letter 'i" ?

•••
Why a LLLL with vowels and meaning is considered less valuable than a LLLL chip with no meaning?
Only some percent from the LLLL chips will turn to mean something.

I don't see LLLL chips losing their value as they carry potential sense, but isn't logical for the ones with verified meaning to worth more even if they contain vowels?

Depends on the meaning. Here I have been talking about acronyms, chips in LLL.com and LLLL.com
You are right there will be some pinyin words in 3L and 4L that have a great meaning and a much greater value but I think those have been snapped up a long time ago by the Chinese.
We were at a disadvantage, in that we would have valued them as CHIPS or brandables not knowing the true value, so any offer over market price was much more likely to be snapped up, so the pool available on the Western wholesale market, is either nearly completely gone or gone. Demand for pinyin words existed way before CHIPS and very few exists with good meaning, maybe a 100 - 200 in the 450,000 available in 4L.com. Unlikely any will be accidentally uncovered now.

•••
A bit more data on numerics.

168= prosperous or pathway to prosperity
1314= forever or always
510= I want you
666=easy, smooth life, obviously very lucky triple
3399= together for long time
58= I am prosperous, very wealthy
72 & 78= certainly easy, prosperous for sure
84= forever prosperous

•••
A thread about the meaning of letters and numbers in Chinese here.

•••
•••
For example:

shai.pw (Shanghai love) sold at $40:
Benmi
Shanghai - 24 mil population, largest China city

They aren't many of these sold on Benmi as Chinese sit on them.

Find the gems among your chips and you'll make huge money.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back