NameSilo

.us Non-US citizen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Is there anyway a non US citizen could register a .us name? Because I found a great one, will be worth thousands in the future, if not now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Set up a US corporation ?

You don't have to be a US citizen, being a US resident is one way to qualify.

•••
What happens if you dont qualify and you register the name? If they find out do you lose the domain?

•••
Most registrars allow you to register a dot.US domain name by fill in the form that you are a foreign individual with USA online presence.

Most people can meet this criterias as most of the webhosting services are located in the United States so there will not be any problem and you will not lose your domain name being non-US citizen.

The EU registry is the only with taking over practices if you do not have a physical representation in Europe.

•••
Dean26 said:
What happens if you dont qualify and you register the name? If they find out do you lose the domain?
They do spot checks from time to time and yes you can lose the domain. One recent (and costly) example is video.us.

•••
So basically if you have a good one just sell it before they catch you...

•••
Dean26 said:
So basically if you have a good one just sell it before they catch you...

NO

Set up an LLC or similar and keep the name for a year or 2 then sell for a lot more then you paid for it :)

Works for me :)

•••
•••
limited liability corporation = LLC

•••
how much capital to insert/put in LLC ? And how high are expenses for opening LLC ?

•••
The domain name registrar may help you with this

•••
zoki said:
how much capital to insert/put in LLC ? And how high are expenses for opening LLC ?

I hope this would help. :tu:

•••
.us is not very strict compared to other country codes.
i notice godaddy asks you to be a us citizen or residing in the us,
however name.com also allows for non-residents who do business with the us.
i think domaining itself could qualify as us business if you sell to americans. i also have a number of affiliate sites that sell primarily to the usa which would qualify.

•••
1&1, Name.com, Domainsite and Dynadot let your register US domains as foreigner entity or individual with no major hassle.

•••
thanks trusted writer. rep added.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back