status-resolved NO Bargains allowed in the Bargain BIN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
💩

upload_2019-12-26_17-24-28.png

@Drongy -- my apologies for reporting your thread, and having it moved from the bargain bin thread. I wanted to see if namePros would really move your thread away from bargain because you bundled (6) $5 BIN domains for $23 total. But offering (6) for $5 each is allowed. You just can't say 5 for 23, because 23 > 20.

upload_2019-12-26_17-30-35.png

https://www.namepros.com/threads/twinkler-co-cryptoshort-co-trashpanda-info-3-from-3.1168033/

Further rule inquisition...

upload_2019-12-26_17-27-28.png

Upon further Marketplace FAQ inquisition...

s. What are the maximum suggested offers and prices in certain domain sales forums?
i. Domains in the Bargain Bin section must be priced and sell at $20 or less.
ii. In compliance with the Bargain Bin price maximum, auctions must have a $20 or lower BIN price set.

Effectively nP is saying buy as much bargain BIN domains as you want at full bargain BIN price, but don't publicly disclose a package deal (risk being spam discount offers where sellers can be selective), or else the packaging, and therefore making a greater bargain per domain as it would be if purchased at the individual bargain Bin, is not allowed in bargain bin per rules.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

As previously explained to you, the requirements of the Bargain Bin are simple:
  • Allowed: You can list as many domains as you want in one thread for $20 each or even bulk deals of many domains for $20 or less total.
  • Disallowed: You may not have anything for sale in the thread that does not meet the Allowed description above. This includes multiple domains being offered in a single package/deal for $50 (or even $21) total.
The reasons are simple:
  1. It can easily be manipulated. You could hand register two random domains with a coupon for $1 or for free (e.g., h35nqjpyll.co and ba4wnwxtom.tk), offer one intended domain name (e.g., EthicalDomain.com), and then price the package at $60 ($20/each). It should be obvious this is a manipulation in order to offer EthicalDomain.com for more than $20 in the section.
  2. The expectation of threads in that section is to be able to spend $20 or less to purchase whatever is being offered, and $60 > $20.
We don't valuate those domain names to decide whether someone is manipulating the system. We've chosen to keep the requirements of the section simple for all to understand.

Edited: Updated to improve clarity.

Last edited:
•••
As previously explained to you, the requirements are simple:

Yes, and as previously explained to you, your rational is utter 🐴🐄💩.
The expectation of threads in that section is to be able to spend $20 or less to purchase whatever is being offered, and $60 > $20 (I think mods meant to say $50 > $20 since this example involved giving a deal for 3 domains at instead of $60 for 3 at $20 each (which is allowed) to cost $50 for 3 (which isn't allowed)
$50 > $20

But selling 2 domains priced at $20 each = $40

$40 > $20 as well (allowed)

So it's not as simple as $50 > $20

Should we continue with what else was previously explained, or leave this up for public discussion?

Last edited:
•••
(I think mods meant to say $50 > $20 since this example involved giving a deal for 3 domains at instead of $60 for 3 at $20 each (which is allowed) to cost $50 for 3 (which isn't allowed)
No, $60 is correct; we've also edited the post to hopefully improve its clarity.

It would be understood as manipulation, if and only if, I were to solely package [EthicalDomain] + 2 more domains, and asking $50 for the package, without allowing the purchase option at $20 which is defined as the bargain price.
We could make exceptions to the requirements if all of the packaged domains can also be purchased individually in the same thread for $20 or less, but here are some (not all) reasons we do not currently allow that:
  1. It'd be more difficult to understand what's allowed vs. disallowed, which means there will be more mistakes by members and more listings in the section that should not be there. It's typically better to keep it simple.
  2. #2 from our previous post.
  3. You can think of "Bargain Bin" as applying a "$20 or less" price filter to listings. If it's above that price for the package, then it will not show up. Anything else is not taken into consideration because the filter only checks: is the offering for $20 or less? If yes, show it (allow the listing in that section). If no, then do not show it (do not allow the listing in that section).

So under this logic, all bargain bin threads selling 2+ domains individually priced $20 or under but any amount that totals greater than $20 eg $6 x 3 domains are OK but $7 x 3 domains is NOT OK?
If you're talking about a single package, yes. If you're talking about individual domains being offered at $20 each, then that is allowed. You can list 100 domains at $20 each in a single thread, which is a total of $2000 if you sold them all, but the buyer can pick and choose whichever domains they want for $20 or less.

Would it still be rejected if I didn't do the math for the buyer and said: buy 3, take 17% off?
This is something that may help to alleviate the issues previously mentioned.

We will give it more thought to decide what's best.

Thanks for the suggestion.

•••
Too many rules makes namrpros a dull boy.

I have often thought a little looser moderation with a few less rules would make namrpros more fun.

I recently got a like from a topic I started and I was surprised it was closed. No reason to close it and after pages and pages of discussion it made me feel like j was wasting my time.

Good clean topics getting closed, why the hell bother posting at all. There are a lot more productive things to do with my time.

Just saying...

•••
@MapleDots I feel you .. but even more frustrating is when you start a topic in the feedback forum about them closing threads too fast/aggressively .. and just as you're about to submit a long reply, you find that they ironically closed that thread!

That being said though .. not sure what was written before @Mod Team Bravo edited his post, and while I do often gripe about some things that don't make sense here at NP, I really don't see any issues here. The sales threads most definitely are the ones most prone to scams and abuse, so despite my saying the rules or their interpretations sometimes are indeed a little too harsh, I think this one and (it's enforcement) do make sense.

The section is for domains priced at $20 or less. You can package them however you want as long as everything within the post is available alone or in a package at $20 or less.

I don't think it's against the rules to offer 5 domains at $50, as long as they are also all available alone (or in a smaller package) at $20 or less (in the same sales thread).

•••
Too many rules makes namrpros a dull boy.
This is not a rule per se; it's the definition/design of that particular section. The applicable rule would be Rule 1.15. Organization. (a) All content must be organized in an appropriate section (“forum”).

I have often thought a little looser moderation with a few less rules would make namrpros more fun.
The community feedback that we receive is almost perfectly split on that: about half feel there are too many rules (and too much moderation) and the other half feel there are too few rules (and too little moderation). That nearly even split is likely the ideal level of rules and moderation, but we're always looking to improve and turn over more of the decisions to the community. We have other threads on these topics, so let's please continue the discussion(s) there if you'd like to discuss it/them more.

Good clean topics getting closed
It is very rare for us to close threads unless they're based around feedback for NamePros because we need to close the ones we consider finished and focus on the remaining. Otherwise, we'd never be able to keep track of the amount of feedback we receive and the amount of things we need to do.

Since this topic is different than that of this thread, we've sent you a direct message asking for more details and links so we can review.

not sure what was written before @Mod Team Bravo edited his post
The post is identical in meaning, but we added colors and made small modifications to the wording to hopefully make it more clear.

I don't think it's against the rules to offer 5 domains at $50, as long as they are also all available alone (or in a smaller package) at $20 or less (in the same sales thread).
The section does not allow for it to be phrased as 5 domains for $50, but there are ways to offer that, which we'll explain.

It makes sense to allow it if the domains can also be purchased individually for $20 or less in the same thread, but it does not make to allow it if the domains cannot be purchased individually in the same thread.

Therefore, here's how it can be done:

Last edited:
•••
@Grilled's suggestion of structuring it differently than using a total dollar amount is the best of both worlds: it does not introduce manipulation or cause more confusion about what's allowed, and it enables greater discounts for multiple purchases.

We can allow that.

Examples:
  1. Buy 3, Get 1 Free
    • If $20/each, then the deal is 4 domains for $60 total ($20*3+$0*1) = $15/each
  2. Buy 4, Get 25% Off
    • If $20/each, then the deal is 4 domains for $60 total ($20*4*.75) = $15/each
  3. Buy 4, Get 15% Off
    • If $20/each, then the deal is 4 domains for $68 total ($20*4*.85) = $17/each
  4. Buy 3, Get 1 More 60% Off
    • If $20/each, then the deal is for 4 domains for $68 total ($20*3+$20*1*.4) = $17/each
Given the examples above, you could also phrase them as:
  1. Buy 3 at $20/each, Get 1 Free
  2. Buy 4 at $15/each
  3. Buy 4 at $17/each
  4. Buy 3 at $20/each, Get 1 More for $8

The important part is to not structure/phrase it in a way where the bulk deal displays an amount greater than $20 because that can lead to confusion about what's allowed and then manipulation to exceed $20/each.

We hope that helps.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back