Dynadot

NHL (National Hockey League) Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I think that sports is a great metaphor for business. But especially the NHL. With the best of 7 format in the post-season it is a game of speed, endurance, skill, and mental fitness. The best teams improve as the post-season progresses and prove they want the Cup the most.

In the 2018/2019 season the Tampa Bay Lightning were the team with the record-tying most wins in a season. They were very impressive, said to have "no weaknesses and a lot of star power". Yet they were beaten in 4 straight games in the first round of the post-season by a wildcard team that barely qualified. Ouch.

Who do you think will be in the Stanley Cup final in 2019?

From what I've seen so far, my prediction is it will be Dallas Stars v Carolina Hurricanes.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I predict it will be a Carolina win. But I've been wrong before, many times.

•••
Don Cherry and his suits...lol

•••
NHL is not helping by having different interpretation of rules for play-offs.

It is hard for teams to gear and know where they stand come playoff time.

@Recons.Com I could see your point in tonight's game. There is no consistency in the rules, especially for penalties. There were penalties called for plays that are allowed so many times. And that decided the game, unfortunately. Carolina was the superior team tonight. It is frustrating when penalties determine the outcome.

•••
Don Cherry and his suits...lol

I watch the games on NHL TV and in delay so I can breeze through the commercials and stoppages in play. Unfortunately all the games are from US broadcasts. Miss the Coaches Corner. I can confidently say that Canada has the best coverage of the NHL.

Last edited:
•••
I watch the games on NHL TV and in delay so I can breeze through the commercials and stoppages in play. Unfortunately all the games are from US broadcasts. Miss the Coaches Corner. I can confidently say that Canada has the best coverage of the NHL.
Too bad, you missed last night coaches corner, Don Cherry brought up your point about the gate/door, made some valid points about their location, safety factors, players on bench not paying attention, no consistency in location among arenas..

Thinking/predicting that the Blues may have the better goalie but the "Sharks" will take game one...

No matter how many hockey games that I watch, still love 4/5/6 years old play..

•••
I am not in Canada right now, so no access to CBC. If anyone can get CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada, I whole-heartedly recommend their NHL broadcast. They are hands down the ultimate hockey coverage, now limited to Saturday nights. Although Sportsnet.ca is a close second now that they have purchased many rights from CBC and share programming.

I always cheer for the underdog. If Carolina continues to improve they may go all the way. As long as the refs don’t get in the way.

•••
On now:

St. Louis Blues v San Jose Sharks

Western Conference Final Game 1.

•••
As of this posting..1-0 for San Jose..

•••
As of this posting..1-0 for San Jose..

Just saw the goal on my delayed coverage. San Jose has started much stronger than St. Louis. But still very early.

•••
•••
St. Louis seems to have started to play in the last few minutes of the 1st period. They need to continue that in period 2 if they want a chance at winning. San Jose is playing with a lot of confidence.

@briguy, if Don Cherry is on, please post some highlights from the Coach's Corner.

Last edited:
•••
St. Louis seems to have started to play in the last few minutes of the 1st period. They need to continue that in period 2 if they want a chance at winning. San Jose is playing with a lot of confidence.

@briguy, if Don Cherry is on, please post some highlights from the Coach's Corner.
Took a washroom break missed it but you might find this interesting..

Note that the suit that I was referring too earlier..guess what team he is going for in that series

Last edited:
•••
Took a washroom break missed it but you might find this interesting..

Note that the suit that I was referring too earlier..guess what team he is going for in that series

Well, he was the coach of Boston in the 70s. That tenure made him famous. I believe his first favorite team is the Toronto Maple Leafs. But when they're out and Boston is in, then that's his team.

Last edited:
•••
What an amazing goal by Meier of San Jose. 4-2 SJ leads. So far St. Louis does not look like the same team as in the previous series.

Last edited:
•••
Game seems to be one sided..surprised they kept Billington (St Louis Star goalie) in (as of this posting)

•••
Game seems to be one sided..surprised they kept Billington (St Louis Star goalie) in (as of this posting)

San Jose take game 1 6-3. St Louis had its moments but were very inconsistent most of the game. If they can improve the next game, should be a very dramatic series.

•••
Game 2 between Boston and Carolina has started...
Predicting a Carolina win..

Last edited:
•••
Boston 6, Carolina 2.

Carolina just lost their edge. Allowed Boston to get to them. Boston is really good at getting into the heads of their opponents, pushing their buttons, to get them to take stupid penalties and make other mistakes.

I think that's what happened in this game. Carolina couldn't connect with the puck. Lots of missed chances, too many penalties and giveaways.

It was 4:0 after the second period. Don't understand why McElhinney didn't start in goal in the 3rd. He is an excellent goalie. Mzarek was clearly shaken. He should've been pulled and prepare mentally for game 3. Now he let 2 more goals early in the 3rd. So his confidence is shaken even more. McElhinney likely would've kept the score at 4 against. Carolina got 2 goals. They could've pulled the goalie for a chance at the win if the score would have been 4:2. But at 6:2, there's no chance for that. Raask also didn't have his best game either but his team bailed him out.

Last edited:
•••
Nice sports commentary @TCK

Now the question is..can Carolina win 4 out of the next five games against Boston to move onto the next level?

Same goes for St. Louis against San Jose?

•••
Nice sports commentary @TCK

Thanks. I'm auditioning. Hoping that Sportsnet finds this thread. Lol. :xf.wink:

Now the question is..can Carolina win 4 out of the next five games against Boston to move onto the next level?

Same goes for St. Louis against San Jose?

It depends on how Carolina and St. Louis respond in their next games.

•••
Thanks. I'm auditioning. Hoping that Sportsnet finds this thread. Lol. :xf.wink:

It depends on how Carolina and St. Louis respond in their next games.
Yeah tonight San Jose play St. Louis...St Louis have to figure out how to keep the puck in the other end AND slow down San Jose speed..
Predicting St Louis..

•••
St Louis gets the first goal...

•••
On now:

St. Louis Blues v San Jose Sharks

Western Conference Final Game 2.

Let's see if St. Louis can eve the series. But will need to play much better.

•••
•••
As of this posting..St Louis had two powerplays but no goals..something they must improve and winning face offs..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back