Domain Empire

New social network by Meta, Threads, is using a .net domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

capybara

capybaraTop Member
Impact
Threads.net is the URL, the .com is being used by a startup.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I saw them using a .net! Interesting choice

•••
It's a pile of doo doos 😅. Not even a bit of originality about it. I almost feel sorry for Zuckerborg.

Last edited:
•••
Threads.xyz is listed for $60k by @DNGear. Think they should have used that as .xyz is more new/futuristic than .net, which is the polar opposite.

Wayback machine shows that it was $150k last September.

Threads will mainly be used via app, so TLD is not that important. However, I am not a fan of the word 'threads', it is not easily pronounceable around the world because of the dental fricative.

As for the platform itself, I don't care what I think of it (or Zuckerberg).

Last edited:
•••
This is the first time in a while a major site used .net I can’t even remember the last time

•••
I have no problem with .NET in general, but a company with an unlimited budget really should have secured the .COM for their brand.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The ".net .blahblah" trend has set a dangerous precedent for the .com industry. If companies continue to prioritize securing alternative domain extensions like .net, it could weaken the .com industry. However, if they secure the .com extension in future, it has the potential to strengthen the .com industry.

•••
With $10.5 million in funding a few years back it would probably of taken/take a pretty big offer for the .com owner to sell up.....they could then maybe move for the .ai or .io which aren't developed....

Last edited:
•••
With $10.5 million in funding a few years back it would probably of taken/take a pretty big offer for the .com owner to sell up.....they could then maybe move for the .ai or .io which aren't developed....
Or they could have just picked another brand.

It is not like they were forced to use "Threads".

FB has a market cap of over $550B. Tens of millions is change in the couch to them. :ROFL:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Just because of this specific occurrence, the startup perhaps became the most stable one.

•••
Yes, .net is an unusual choice by such a huge company. Honestly, I don't like the name "threads" to begin with. :) Curious to see how they'll do

•••
Or they could have just picked another brand.

It is not like they were forced to use "Threads".

FB has a market cap of over $550B. Tens of millions is change in the couch to them. :ROFL:

Brad
Think they used a lot of that couch money on Zucks meta vanity project :xf.wink:

•••
Honestly, I don't like the name "threads" to begin with. :)

It begs for a parody site "Threats". The owner of threats.net seems to have understood this, since it's selling for $20k.

•••
I have no problem with .NET in general, but a company with an unlimited budget really should have secured the .COM for their brand.

Brad
True I remember they spent a fortune buying so many domains for facebook

12 years ago they spent $8.5 million to buy Fb.com and didn’t do much with it except use it to host images lol

•••
Yes, .net is an unusual choice by such a huge company. Honestly, I don't like the name "threads" to begin with. :) Curious to see how they'll do
It’s so awkward. Lmao. I never thought I’d see the day again of a big company using .net. Can you remember the last major website to use .net?

Last edited:
•••
True I remember they spent a fortune buying so many domains for facebook

12 years ago they spent $8.5 million to buy Fb.com and didn’t do much with it except use it to host images lol
And emails. They spent a fortune on meta names btw.

Last edited:
•••
Zuckr Burgr lost it's edge a long time ago. Bluesky already beat it to the douche/cesspool niche of social media.

Last edited:
•••
The ".net .blahblah" trend has set a dangerous precedent for the .com industry. If companies continue to prioritize securing alternative domain extensions like .net, it could weaken the .com industry. However, if they secure the .com extension in future, it has the potential to strengthen the .com industry.
I can't tell if this is a serious post or not.

It sets no precedent. 1 .net site is not going to have any affect on .com. And it's just a landing page to their app that people will be using. And if they go with .com in the future, ok, .com industry doesn't need strengthening, already well established.

As far as not using the .com, maybe they tried to get it and it wasn't for sale, it's being used. The .com owners are probably loving all the extra traffic to their own project.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Allow me to share a snapshot of
Threads.com, (Slack-competitor) Apple app reviews:
They are rated 3.1/5 stars. It’s past point-of-no-return; time to rebrand, i didnt know you existed until Meta:
IMG_5355.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
Forget the .Net for a second, with Meta's basically "unlimited funds" couldn't they have just created a name which would have folded into Meta? This is weird and seemed rushed.

•••
Forget the .Net for a second, with Meta's basically "unlimited funds" couldn't they have just created a name which would have folded into Meta? This is weird and seemed rushed.

It's personal .
Co-founder of threads .com was FB product manager.

Regards

•••
It begs for a parody site "Threats". The owner of threats.net seems to have understood this, since it's selling for $20k.

shreds.net went up for sale, too

•••
It's personal .
Co-founder of threads .com was FB product manager.

Regards

This gives me nissan.com vibes... love it haha.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back