IT.COM

New.net Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Raf

Established Member
Impact
Recently I've been hearing many complaints about the New.net Domain Registration service and I was hoping we could maybe get a good forum discussion going here. If you wish you can post some experiences you had with this services or what you think generally about this service.

My Take: To tell you the truth when buying a domain extension that really doesnt exist is really something you shouldn't be spending money on, especially that you have to download a plugin in order to view the domains within their intranet really doesnt make much sense into really making a service.

Lets hear some suggestions/experiences from some of you guys. :laugh:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nobody has any experiences/suggestions about New.net, come on people. :p

•••
Well I bought one several years back (when I thought still that NetworkSolutions was the cheapest in town!), but very soon learnt that it was useless. I never used it at all and it expired. That's my experience on new.nets.

•••
I buy domains for 2/3 reasons.

1. To develope.
2. To resale
3. Traffic

Reasons why I would not buy new.net domains

1. If I developed it, nobody would be able to see my site without added software, so that is out of the question.
2. Resale? New.net have absolutely $0 value. If you ever heard of a big ticket new.net sale please let me know.
3. Traffic? Yea right.

Not to mention I love .com's

•••
I do not see value in it HOWEVER there are people who make good money off of traffic. The new.net browser has some quick search technology which lists existing new.net sites when a search is made.

•••
umm, I bought Mail.mp3 no idea why when I come to think of it, I supose I just wanted one to see how they go... but up too now a waste of money I think lol.

•••
Thanks for all your replies guys, lets hope we can get somemore opinions from other users. :)

•••
Originally posted by .edu
I buy domains for 2/3 reasons.

1. To develope.
2. To resale
3. Traffic

Reasons why I would not buy new.net domains

1. If I developed it, nobody would be able to see my site without added software, so that is out of the question.
2. Resale? New.net have absolutely $0 value. If you ever heard of a big ticket new.net sale please let me know.
3. Traffic? Yea right.

Not to mention I love .com's

pu**y.xxx 100 ovt
check all main adult terms and they have ovt with .xxx

suprised? :p

Too bad they are all reserved by the registry

lol

•••
I wouldnt touch em with a ten foot pole :)

Mike

•••
I would have to agree with you on that one Tippy, after reading various threads about New.net it makes me think twice if its really worth buying it or not.

•••
Re: Alternative Domains

Hello

We were drawn to your forums having seen comments about our Company dotWORLDS by one of your fellow members (Anthony) and you have been good enough to allow us to post our responses to those comments on Industry News

We are posting to this thread on the basis that you may be interested to hear a bit more about alternative domains and that you may even be tempted to try one (or maybe not)

Should you or your colleagues wish to try an alternative domain, you do not have to pay for one. Some of our domain names are completely free (no catches). Just visit www.dotworlds.net and select the "personality" radio button for the drop down list (eg .cool, .music, .geek etc)

dotWORLDS domains are true top level domains - eg , www.yourname.usa, is just that. What you see, is what you get. New.net domain names are different - eg www.yourname.shop is in fact www.yourname.shop.new.net - ie "new.net" is appended at the end of each address and as such they are not true top level domain names.

With respect to dotWORLDS' plugin, we can assure you that it contains absolutely no spyware etc. It can easily be removed at any time via the add/remove programmes of your control panel. Whether or not users have the dotWORLDS plugin installed, all connections to the internet operate with same configurations. This also applies to all internet surfing, which follow identical routes and paths. It is only when a domain query is shown to be unavailable on the ICANN network, that the plugin then asks the users computer check on dotWORLDS systems.

FYI, The reponse to "Anthony's" thread with an overview on some of the thinking behind dotWORLDS can be found on your Forum: NamePros.Com > Domain Name Discussion > Industry News > New (fake) .gay and .lesbian names available!

Once again, thank you for your time.

Kind regards

dotWORLDS

•••
That's interesting that dotWorlds would cite my thread about their (fake) domain names.

Anyway, its nice to see them respond here, but it would be nice for them to admit that their products aren't real domain names and are in violation of ICANN regulations.

•••
Yeah thats true Anthony because basically they have any control they really want of the domain and its existance.

•••
Hi Folks,

Just my take on the situation.

I get the feeling that the first board meeting at new.net they decided that there was a market for a lot of other TLD's that were not available through normal means ( ICAAN ).

So why not produce a simple little plug in that would allow users to have basically any ' TLD ' they want ... forget about how much you earn from registrations, but if you got it started and ICANN decided to use these extensions then you would have good bargaining power to sell the rights to them :)
Or maybe they were hoping for some ' open source ' solution to DNS.

I also think that when the domains were first launched they did not exactly go out of the way to explain why they were not ' real ' domains.

We had one client ( still with us ) that registered some really good domains through this ' new ' system and asked us to set up hosting for them. That was not a problem as it works just the same.

However when they found that most people could not get to their domains they did some research ( probably more than most that registered them ) and dropped me an e-mail trying to explain that all I had to do to make them work was add a few lines in the DNS configuration.

Unfortunately he got it wrong, it was only the ISP's servers that you connect through the internet to that could install the new bits to make them work .... Nothing to do with the hosting server.

Just checked out their site for the first time for quite a while and the quote ( in VERY small characters ) is that there are 174,661,619 enabled users worldwide.

That in itself is a small percentage, but I would also be interested in how many of them are active users ... and how many just downloaded the plug in out of interest or to help other people out ( like me ) and have not used it since.

When did you last do a search on any major search engine that turned up a site with these new names ?

As someone said before I would be interested to learn of any success stories with these type of domains.

One last point, if these domains are so great why does new use the .net TLD as the main site ?

Just my opinion.

All the best

Richard

•••
I can appreciate dotworlds taking the time to present their views, at the end of the day they are not a worthy investment.

•••
Hi

Dear Mr Riceman

Thank you for your posting. We do appreciate the interest even if we do not have your support.

However, please remember that with dotWORLDS you can try INSTEAD of buy. Anyone who wants to try these domains can do so for free by selecting the "personality" radio button on our Home Page (www.dotworlds.net).

For well over a year, all our "personality domains" (eg .cool, .geek, .sexy etc) have been completely free. (Although this offer is due to close with the launch of our spam free email system).

BTW, from a purely commercial point of view, if you feel that one day these names might have some value, users can take up to three free domains per registered account. Is it worth it? we hear you say

Finally may we take this opportunity to copy our posting to another of your members, Mr Painperdu, which perhaps sums up our position more lightheartedly.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

dotWORLDS

Originally posted by painperdu
One would be better off registering 'theworldsworstdotcom.com' than any of these private alternate root domains.

Can you imagine telling a prospective visitor to visit your site at 'mystore.shop' but first go to 'www.dotworlds.net' and install this plugin? It aint gonna happen!

There was this story about the first webdesign salesman who was trying to sell the first website design package to the first prospective owner of the first prospective Internet shop, he was told: "Do you really think people are going down to their local superstore, buy a computer for a couple of thousand dollars, buy a modem, get an extra phone line, pay extra line rental, pay an ISP for connection, pay an ISP for access and then get someone to set the who system up for them....and just so they can buy from me online.....when they can simply pick up the phone and order.....It aint gonna happen. Well, says the salesman, what about if I throw in http colon forward slash forward slash www dot business dot com (http://www.business.com) for free. Don't be ridiculous, came the reply, who's gonna remember that!

IS this a true story - Absolutely!

Thanks again for this opportunity

Kind regards

dotWORLDS

Last edited:
•••
dotWorlds, I don't know where you came up with that terribly lame story, but please try to post without including blatant advertising for your service. There are marketplace forums for

We are trying to have a discussion about these (fake) domain names here. If you can answer what you plan to do when ICANN cracks down on your service, which potentially undermines the stability of the Internet, then please do. Are you ready to offer full refunds for all of your customers?

•••
This is a good forum discussion, its just that to many things are being added that make it confusing.

•••
Originally posted by dotWORLDS
Dear Mr Riceman

Blah Blah Blah

Anyone who wants to try these domains can do so for free by selecting the "personality" radio button on our Home Page (www.dotworlds.net).

Plug Plug Plug

Blah Blah Plug Blah
Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

dotWORLDS
Blah Blah

Thanks again for this opportunity

Kind regards

dotWORLDS

Plugs and too bad the site doesnt even load.

•••
Dear Anthony

Our apologies if we have caused offence, we were aiming to lighten the mood a bit. We are just trying to present our point of view, and wished to make clear that for those who remain unconvinced, we offer a means to try the system with no outlay. In having a discussion about these (real) domain names, the "first webdesign salesman" story is trying to illustrate that every new idea has its detractors, and that the public automatically looks on new products and ideas with a certain amount of reserve. This doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.

1) May we please refer you to an article in ZNet News entitled "FTC Bust Dot USA Domain Sellers" by Lisa M Bowman of 11 March 2002 - http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-857033.html . The article refers to the comments made by J Howard Beales, a director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection and he is reported as saying "several companies are selling domain names that are not sanctioned by ICANN in the hope of getting round what many see as a corporate strangle hold on the organisation, which approves "official" top level domains such as .com. Beales said the FTC would not go after those companies unless they try to deceive consumers into believing the domain names work like any other Web address."

2) There is nothing for ICANN to "crack down on", whereby in using crack down, we presume you are referring to ending illicit or harmful activities. In what way are these domains harmful and how can they threaten the stability of the Internet (in this regard please also see comment further below by Mary Hewitt of ICANN).

3) We fail to see how we are misleading people. Have you had the time to visit our website? Not only can people get a range of domains for free, they can also try out the entire system at zero cost.

4) ICANN is supposed to work for a better internet and our aim is the same. Why would ICANN release a TLD that we offer, we certainly respect theirs. We do not know how ICANN feels about us (they have not told us), however, we are a perfectly legitimate entity. If we were not, the FTC and other trading standards organizations worldwide, would never have let dotWORLDS operate for over 2 years. Under any proper definition of a domain name, dotWORLDS domain names are as "legitimate" as ICANNs.

5) One may say that people require a plugin to view our (real) domain names, and use that as an argument against them. But again, (a) how many reputable and widely popular companies require users to download plugins? Macromedia, Adobe, Wild Tangent etc etc. Just because you need a plugin doesn't make a product less real, or more fake. (b) AOL's product is a plugin, a piece of software you need to download in order to access their proprietary content, which is a parallel of the web, not an integration. And people pay for it. (c) Any piece of software is no more than a plug-in, required to view a certain type of content. How about Windows? If you don't have windows, you can't use specific types of content. So what happens to Linux users? Ok, some may say that a certain type of person in a certain type of situation is apt to use Linux, but we must admit that it's getting massive commercial and even desktop usage now.

So, just because you can do something more than one way (be it using an OS, surfing the web, receiving email through a certain client or setting up a domain name other than through ICANN) doesn't make the second or third or subsequent ways wrong. Just because our domains need a plugin and ICANN's don't doesn't make them fake. What's so wrong with competing in the doman name market? In the last 12 years ICANN has provided just 7 new TLDs.

ICANN does not have the sole rights to the World Wide Web. No-one is forced to cross America only via Route 55 and only by car. There are alternatives, and people don't get confused. Anyone who manages or owns a DNS server can put whatever they like on it. Everyone uses ICANN because it was the first and most complete system, but nothing stops the owner/manager of a DNS server putting other domains on it if they so wish. In a Wild West situation, that would make things pretty confused, but we have taken the responsible position of non-collision with ICANN domains, to preserve the integrity of the Internet domain name system.

ICANN, as mentioned above, has released only 7 new extensions in 12 years. Whilst there are a small number of proposals in the pipeline, proposing a new domain is a long, complex and expensive process, open only to a privileged few with millions of dollars to spend on an application process, and we believe it is only a matter of time before our systems will work side by side. If ICANN introduce a collision, how much responsibility does that show on their part?

Let us examine for a moment the fundamentals on the issue of domain names. This from ZDnet in July 2002, and it still holds true, with our comments marked (D), the report marked (R):

(R) According to an ICANN paper, the DNS was intended to provide a reliable way to unambiguously refer to Web sites, e-mail servers and other Internet services. "One of its core design goals is that it reliably provides the same answers to the same queries from any source on the public Internet, thereby supporting predictable routing of Internet communications," it states. "Achievement of that design goal requires a globally unique public name space derived from a single, globally unique DNS root."

(D) We don't offer ICANN TLDs to avoid such collisions. Neither do we offer the TLDs of new.net.

(R) Mary Hewitt, director of communications at ICANN, said it's about universal resolvability. Although Hewitt said there was nothing wrong with the alternative root-"we're not the Internet police"--but added that the aim was to keep the Internet working effectively and efficiently globally.

(D) Three cheers for Mary!

(R) There are a number of consequences if alternative roots were to become prevalent, according to ICANN's Web site. These include different answers being given to the same DNS query issued from different computers on the Internet, depending on whether the computer which is inquiring is programmed to access the authorative root, or one of the alternative roots. ICANN also sees the main consequence of inconsistent data is that the same domain name could identify different computers depending upon where the name is used.

(D) Not in our case. We do not collide with ICANN, so how could this be an issue?

(R) Although ICANN has argued that working within the system doesn't preclude experimentation, it believes this should be done in a controlled manner.

(D) 100% behind you on that!

(R) ICANN's prime directive of preserving the stability of the Internet and DNS requires an unwavering commitment to promote the continued prevalence of a single authorative root for the public DNS," according to ICANN's Web site.

(D) No problem. Why not take on dotWORLDS TLDs as well then?

Anthony, on the subject of fair. Is it fair to charge millions of dollars for a single domain name - after all its just a domain name. Some would call domain name traders "protectionist", in the same way as you have called our domains "fake". It's just a matter of perception. We follow Internet law. It isn't perfect and some of it isn't fair. There are and will be growing pains. We believe what you are seeing today, will, in many ways be different, tomorrow. Structures are changing: even former friends within this industry do not seem to be as cosy with each other as they once were. Enemies are uniting (see Sun and Microsoft...) There are many new issues that need answers, and some of those issues will require more than one solution. We have started on this path to offer Internet users more choice. We believe that they have it now.

As ever, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to post on your Forum

Kind regards

dotWORLDS

•••
First of all, a TLD domain can't be "fake" It can be non-inclusive in the ICANN root servers, but not fake. Second, Alternative Roots have their uses and advantages. I think that the dot world’s concept is a great concept as long as it's properly managed, and that it can acquire and maintain public trust. This is just my opinion and in no way is to be seen as a strong one unlike other strong opinions posted on this site.

Last edited:
•••
How many more topics will it take for everyone to realize this is going nowhere. People will continue to argue with the validity and concept of plugin domain names, and the dotWorlds guy will continue to come in here with his corporate gobbledygook and try to defend his service by running around the issues and maintaining a positive image.

:|

•••
OK I'm sold. I will buy 50 of them right now.

•••
Originally posted by .edu
OK I'm sold. I will buy 50 of them right now.

Uh oh, they've gotten to .edu now too! :laugh:

In response to this point --
Beales said the FTC would not go after those companies unless they try to deceive consumers into believing the domain names work like any other Web address."

That's my whole point. The FTC may decide to go after your service if a number of your customers believe you are selling officially-sanctioned domain names.

The rest of your points are just what you mentioned in three other threads repeated. Flash is a content-based plug-in and is unrelated. And ICANN would release an extension that you offer because you are offering ANY extension -- they're bound to overlap.

Once that happens, ICANN may complain to the FTC and then they will have cause to investigate. Not mentioning this possibility is a way of misleading your customers.

•••
Originally posted by dotWORLDS
Dear Anthony

Anthony, on the subject of fair. Is it fair to charge millions of dollars for a single domain name - after all its just a domain name. Some would call domain name traders "protectionist", in the same way as you have called our domains "fake". It's just a matter of perception. We follow Internet law. It isn't perfect and some of it isn't fair. There are and will be growing pains. We believe what you are seeing today, will, in many ways be different, tomorrow. Structures are changing: even former friends within this industry do not seem to be as cosy with each other as they once were. Enemies are uniting (see Sun and Microsoft...) There are many new issues that need answers, and some of those issues will require more than one solution. We have started on this path to offer Internet users more choice. We believe that they have it now.

As ever, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to post on your Forum

Kind regards

dotWORLDS

The ICANN Board expresses its deep appreciation and thanks, on its own behalf and on behalf of all participants, to our hosts, Claudio Corbetta and Franco Denoth from Register.it S.p.A., DADA Group and IIT-CNR, respectively.

The Board also extends its thanks to all sponsors of the meeting, including Alitalia, Basic Fusion, DADA, Fashion District, Fastweb, InfoCamere, Italiatour, LogicBoxes, Nameintelligence, McArthurGlen, New.net, Olitalia, .Org, Radio 24, Seeweb srl, Tiko, Tuonome.it, VeriSign, dotWORLDS, and Web.com.
The Board thankfully acknowledges the hard work of the staff of the Register.it S.p.A., DADA Group and IIT-CNR, particularly Chiara Ronchetti and Giovanni Seppia.

Full text is available at:
http://www.icann.org/minutes/rome-resolutions-06mar04.htm

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back