NameSilo

New member imbalance in appraisals?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Over the last several months, it seems like there have been an inordinate number of new members submitting many (mostly low quality) names for appraisal. Can't put my finger on why, but it strikes me as odd.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Something new with this, seems same to me lol. New people need help more than seasoned people

•••
I just had a look in that section, seems like some people are just buying domains and getting them appraised for fun. :P

•••
I'm not sure it's for fun. Seems worse than that. The similarities in the posts make it seem almost like an organized swarming of the forum.

•••
I'm not sure it's for fun. Seems worse than that. The similarities in the posts make it seem almost like an organized swarming of the forum.

Good observation...
New accounts/new domains - seems strange to me also,
and organised ;)

The title part of Please Appraise:
has been implemented to ensure a name in the topic.

Some changes to this area have been suggested
including the domain being at least passed
the Grace Delete process.

•••
Over the last several months, it seems like there have been an inordinate number of new members submitting many (mostly low quality) names for appraisal. Can't put my finger on why, but it strikes me as odd.

Have to say I was thinking the same thing.. Much more movement in that section then normal ..

•••
oh i see what you mean now all those starting with "Please Appraise *******" The only thing is if people think thats the standard way of posting a tittle in that section and they copy it.

•••
oh i see what you mean now all those starting with "Please Appraise *******" The only thing is if people think thats the standard way of posting a tittle in that section and they copy it.

No thats something thats been added to the forum. There is an area to imput your names. What I have noticed is a large amount of first time and one post wonders in the appraisal section.

•••
Is it really that bad for new members to want their domains apprasied?

•••
Is it really that bad for new members to want their domains apprasied?

Not at all :) ALL NEW members are very very welcome..

It just stands out alittle when for a long time you get a trickle of threads then .... ALOT :)

•••
Well I wasn't here before so I can't comment about how it was before, but there's nothing wrong with increased activity, right?

•••
Well I wasn't here before so I can't comment about how it was before, but there's nothing wrong with increased activity, right?

The more the better as long as it is for the right reasons :)

•••
These types of mass (and mostly meaningless) appraisal submissions tend to dilute the other requests. When I looked at some of the submissions by new members, I didn't feel it was worth taking the time to write a decent appraisal, almost like the submissions weren't really there to get legitimate feedback. I almost get the feeling they are there to clog the system or something. It's just strange.

As for the revised rules, it would be much simpler to allow one domain per appraisal, and just list the domain by itself instead of "Please appraise . . . ,"

Last edited:
•••
These types of mass (and mostly meaningless) appraisal submissions tend to dilute the other requests. When I looked at some of the submissions by new mwmbers, I didn't feel it was worth taking the time to write a decent appraisal, almost like the submissions weren't really there to get legitimate feedback. I almost get the feeling they are there to clog the system or something. It's just strange.

As for the revised rules, it would be much simpler to allow one domain per appraisal, and just list the domain by itself instead of "Please appraise . . . ,"

I can assure my request was not to clog up the system.

That suggestion is a good one.

•••
•••

All feedback is :tu:

There was soooo so much time taken up on moderating there as many members would post for appraisals without putting the name in the title..

Putting in an area to imput the name has reduced moderation there a huge amount.. ...

•••
Maybe they are pumping up their posts. Getting more exposure for their sigs or domains :D

One thread per 24 hours rule would be nice. :)

•••
Pretty sure there is a one post per 24 hour period in the rules. That doesn't seem to apply in this case, though. I don't see many repeated appraisal submissions... just lots of new member submissions for pretty run-of-the-mill domains, with several of those new members only owning the two domains they submit . . . which just happen to be acquired the day before becoming a member at NP and posting them.

I guess it's really nothing to worry about; it just struck me more as odd than anything.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back