Dynadot

New gTLD Registrations So Far Past Half Million As .GURU Passes 50,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ankitpatel

Established Member
Impact
The total number of domain names registered across all new gTLDs roared past 500,000 on 15 April, jumping 46,349 registrations in one day according nTLDstats.com. The number of domains registered across all of the new gTLDs stood at 558,051 as of 21 April.
And .guru has become the first of the new gTLDs to pass the 50,000 registrations mark, reaching 51,390 with a market share of 9.21 percent, and widening the gap in recent weeks to .berlin which now has 46,405 registrations, and a 8.32 percent market share. In third place is still .photography that now has 32,832 registrations.
The number of registrations has grown consistently, with registrations being in part driven by the progressive General Availability of new gTLDs, and the more successful driving bumps in total figures. One bump coming soon will be the launch of .london. Anyone with an interest in a .london domain can apply from 29 April. Preferences are given to applicants as follows:
those with trademarks verified with ICANN's Trademark Clearinghouse database
Londoners (those with a physical address in the City of London or its 32 boroughs) with rights to a name (such as proof of business or trading name)
Londoners (those with a physical address in the City of London or its 32 boroughs)
non-Londoners.
During August 2014, Dot London will allocate names according to priority ranking and where there is more than one applicant in the same priority ranking for the same domain name, an auction will decide who will get the name.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Troll alert! His avatar even looks like a troll (whatever a troll would look like).

Frank Shilling brags about being a domainer "since the turn of the century" which is four years after I've been doing it.

Both you and JB are totally wrong about saying someone who has been domaining since 1996 is not a pioneer... there were only a very small handful of domainers in 1996.

Frank has actually done something in this business tho. Since you had a 4 year head start, I'm sure you can share all the great names you picked up and sold from that era. Your bio also mentions something about brokering in 96, can you share some of those?

From what it looks like, you literally have a handful of .com. So when you say pioneer, do you mean you happened to buy a domain back then, and that's pretty much it? How many .coms to you own total?

Last edited:
•••
HA!! HAHA!!!!! Different strokes, both of you can not change what will be will be; nothing can stop .com getting more stronger and stronger with the new gtlds.
The mistake the ICANN has made is that they have released .com at that early time and nothing can stop it. All the new gtlds are released to fight against .com and domainers for they are making hugesome cash from the great extension, sure. Cheers.

•••
Domaining since 1996 yet talking on namepros instead of your own forum , or blog, (not that namepros is a bad thing), I mean like ,how many times do you see Frank out here
if what you say is true , looks like you turned out to be more of a domaining disappointment than a domaining pioneer,
imho

•••
No one can still predict which of the extensions could compare to dot com, the king of extension. However the momentom is getting high and high off the ground. :wave:
Don't you think that people with the statistics would have a better chance at measuring the momentum (which is quite low) and predicting such things?

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Troll alert! His avatar even looks like a troll (whatever a troll would look like).

Frank Shilling brags about being a domainer "since the turn of the century" which is four years after I've been doing it.

Both you and JB are totally wrong about saying someone who has been domaining since 1996 is not a pioneer... there were only a very small handful of domainers in 1996.
How come those who were around then never heard of you? :) There weren't that many .com domains around back then compared to today and domains were free in the early days (those who were there remember this). So what is your oldest (or first) registration?

Frank has a track record. You don't. :)

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

As much as I like to pick on JB since he's a bit ruthless, I mostly agree with him now as evidenced by me switching back to .com after being burned terribly by both Donuts and Uniregistry and I don't like the fact of losing many to the .com version.
It is more a case of caveat emptor than being burned. You didn't do your research on the new gTLDs. Donuts released domains that should have been reserved and then had to take them back because of its contract with ICANN.

This is how I think many major entities such as Nike can and will promote the new gTLDs and cause a landrush that far exceeds this piddly 1/2 million total (which as JB mentioned and I was the first to discover includes Registry spin-off reservations).
No you were not. The whole issue of registries reserving premium domains and having sweetheart deals with companies that they owned has been discussed for years even at ICANN level. Most people here and in the wider domaining business (as opposed to the domain industry) were aware of it. But with every new TLD market, there is a crop of newbies like yourself. :)

The withholding of premium domains has been a feature of most new TLDs launched since 2006. The .MOBI launch was the landmark for this kind of activity and it was, on the surface, intended to keep a kind of buzz going about the TLD with high profile sales and auctions that would encourage people to register domains. Much the same thing was tried with .ASIA. When .CO was repurposed, COInternet withheld large numbers of "premium" domains and it concentrated on doing deals with large companies for single character domains for use as url shorteners. However most of .CO ccTLD is parked on PPC landing pages or undeveloped. That may well be the fate of many of these new gTLDs - domainer "successes", little development or usage and minimal public awareness.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind average domain portfolio turnover is around 1% annually so with 500k regs, if demand for new TLDs were normal in six months one could expect 2500 aftermarket new TLD sales $XXX or higher. While I am sure there will be some reported sales, I would suspect the turnover rate will be much lower than in .COM - probably for many years.

•••
Keep in mind average domain portfolio turnover is around 1% annually so with 500k regs, if demand for new TLDs were normal in six months one could expect 2500 aftermarket new TLD sales $XXX or higher. While I am sure there will be some reported sales, I would suspect the turnover rate will be much lower than in .COM - probably for many years.
Interesting point. There has been a noticable absense of the ramping kind of sales (supposed premium domain sold in new TLD that later appears never to complete or have been sold to another company owned by the same operators). What most people never see is the 2.2 million or so new domains each month in .COM and the 1.8 million or so deletions each month. While there is an unchanging element to some large TLDs, there is a massive turnover of domains and many domains drop without being reregistered. The big problem with the new gTLDs is that (despite the hype about there being momentum and high registration volumes (there isn't)) most of them are micro TLDs that will have a hard time breaking 100K within their first year of operation. Unlike .COM, where the TLD string "COM" means commercial and is fundamentally associated with all things internet, the new gTLDs have quite the reverse with their TLD string. For many new gTLDs, the TLD string is acting as a limiter in that they are moving towards being domain hacks rather than what people consider domain names. This is potentially good news for the generic/hackish type registrations but damaging for the uptake of these new gTLDs by ordinary registrants. And without those ordinary registrants, the domains in these new gTLDs can be valued at Regfee-1.

Regards...jmcc

•••
It's a little like buying Land on Moon and selling it back to Earthlings :)

:talk:

when I read that, it gave me a smile

then I thought about how true it will be, in the future.

the "numbers" increase is more to hype the hypnotized, and give hope to the hopeful.

:)

imo....

•••
•••
Pleae both of you should take it easy and let's focus on why we are here, enough is enogh the auguementation can not stop any of you from making good cash from new or old gtlds. We all have our differences and that is what is reflecting here.
But domainers are always friends, why should there be any fighting on this little issue? I can understand because it involves money. Well! that should be okey for now. Let's cheer up.

•••
Frank has actually done something in this business tho. Since you had a 4 year head start, I'm sure you can share all the great names you picked up and sold from that era. Your bio also mentions something about brokering in 96, can you share some of those?

From what it looks like, you literally have a handful of .com. So when you say pioneer, do you mean you happened to buy a domain back then, and that's pretty much it? How many .coms to you own total?

I consider myself unpopular while Frank is popular. But I'd rather be me (ethical and honest) than him (scrupulous). I don't mislead anyone. I'm transparant. Frank has lied many times about how he will handle Uniregistry.

The first domain name I ever purchased was skatebrake.com in 1996, four years earlier than Frank's first domain name. There are no records that go back that far since those are pioneering days of the Internet. It's impossible for me to prove it other than testimonies of people I worked with in the domaining business. It was registered with Network Solutions which also destroyed all records going back that far except for domains that have never been transferred to another registrar.

Back then in 1996, there was only one registrar: NS and they were expensive and also required you purchase hosting with the domain name. It cost around $120 per year for the domain name and another $50 per month for hosting. This is why you don't hear of active domainers in 1996 except for me and a few others. The term "domainer" didn't even exist in 1996. I was a webmaster who bought and sold domains for clients. Skatebrake.com was the only one I personally bought for personal use followed by NoEnd.com in 2008 of which I sold for $5,500 a few years later and then RidePride.com. Since 2000, I have bought and sold hundreds more .coms and a few .orgs. I have not been "lucky" enough to sell anything for over $5,500, so that's why I'm not popular.

•••
That's still not a pioneer, it's just someone who happened to buy some domains back then. There are some people back then that would more fit the bill, that understood the potential value and where things were going. The people that ended up with those 6 and 7 figure+ sales. Ones that started registrars, parking, tools etc.

As far as "But I'd rather be me (ethical and honest)" I was actually going to suggest you start doing that, because you have this tendency to fluff things up, embellish.

Let's be serious for a second. Is it ethical to try to get some shine off another company's work? I'm talking about your Second Life, Blog(g)er purchases etc.? Is that really ethical? Why not delete them?

Are you being honest when you talk about your site traffic/clients? You dropped some clues that doesn't really exist. You post about 1% of your traffic being mobile. I knew that was bs when you posted it, anybody with any kind of site traffic would know it's more than that. And your frequent changes to your main site, 4 since you've been here, you talking about more. A site with actual traffic, a rebrand would be kind of a big deal. Sites with traffic don't do that.

Have you ever considered starting a thread in the Domains Wanted forum, ask for some eco .coms, take some time, find one you really like and stick with it. With the amounts you're spending on some of these new ones, you can probably find a real decent one.

As far as new gtlds, got 3 today:
codes
farm
viajes - travel in Spanish

For every new gtld you buy today, a kitten smiles and somewhere a life is saved

Last edited:
•••
Back then in 1996, there was only one registrar: NS and they were expensive and also required you purchase hosting with the domain name.
No it didn't. Network Solutions was primarily involved with domain name registrations.

It cost around $120 per year for the domain name
It was $100 for two years. It later dropped to $70 for two years.

I was a webmaster who bought and sold domains for clients.
That was just part of being a web developer back then. That's not quite being a domainer.

But then you also claimed to have been involved in the launch of new gTLDs. What you didn't say was that you only bought domain names. Other people were far more involved with the launch and your appropriation of the credit for their hard and unpaid work is distasteful.

There does seem to be a lot of revisionism going on about your "history" in the domain business. Perhaps it is all just marketing to you but to some of us, it is our history.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
There are no records that go back that far since those are pioneering days of the Internet. It's impossible for me to prove it other than testimonies of people I worked with in the domaining business. It was registered with Network Solutions which also destroyed all records going back that far except for domains that have never been transferred to another registrar.
Well don't fall off your chuck wagon old timer, but maybe a record does still exist.

https://web.archive.org/web/19970411043509/http://www.skatebrake.com/

It kinda does look like your "style" of logo making (the pioneering kind).

Last edited:
•••
The term pioneer is a bit vague which includes "among the first" is what I'm referring to. I am certainly among the first involved with the Internet relative to the year 2000 to present. I did not achieve anything popular or profitable (when considering time investment).
In 1995 I accurately predicted much about the Internet. but that research paper is not notable as far as causing any pioneering change or something lol.

I can say now I'm among the most involved with the new gTLDs considering I hold the record for the most that were collision domains accidentally released and the only one on Earth who developed and branded a collision domain. ICANN and Donuts have pulled it back from me and swept it all under the rug hoping we all forget about the historic event.

•••
"I now christen thee... SCARY SPICE!!!"

internet-dont_worry_tron-300x254.jpg

•••
The term pioneer is a bit vague which includes "among the first" is what I'm referring to. I am certainly among the first involved with the Internet relative to the year 2000 to present. I did not achieve anything popular or profitable (when considering time investment).
In 1995 I accurately predicted much about the Internet. but that research paper is not notable as far as causing any pioneering change or something lol.
The Internet and the Web were well underway by that time. The number of websites was growing rapidly and there was mass advertising by ISPs at a consumer level. AOL was also shifting away from metered access in the mid 1990s. There were millions of people involved with the internet and the web at that time. You are most certainly not "among the first". Now it might be more of your embellishment but there are people on here who were around then and really do know what they are talking about.

I can say now I'm among the most involved with the new gTLDs
Not really. Frank Schilling would be far more involved. :) Your involvement is strictly that of an end user. Nothing more. Anything else is just marketing hype.

ICANN and Donuts have pulled it back from me and swept it all under the rug hoping we all forget about the historic event.
ICANN didn't pull it back. ICANN published the list of domains to be withheld. Donuts accidentally released these domains and it had to take them back. Now if you really were such a pioneering and elite domainer then you would have done your basic due diligence research and targeted high value keywords. That you did not speaks volumes as to your credibility as a domainer of many years of experience.

Regards...jmcc

•••
For those who say that I'm a squatter because out of my 50 domains I have bloggers.link and place FS on a pedestal... um, where have you been? FS has registry reserved about 18,000 !!! domains with just .link alone and every single one! of them are names that have trademarks registered in the USPTO.

You don't know what you are talking about so please leave the room forever until you go back to school to learn basic thinking skills.

•••
For those who say that I'm a squatter because out of my 50 domains I have bloggers.link and place FS on a pedestal... um, where have you been? FS has registry reserved about 18,000 !!! domains with just .link alone and every single one! of them are names that have trademarks registered in the USPTO.

Um...aren't they registry reserved in case the TM owner wants the domain? Pretty sure that was done on purpose he isn't holding them back for himself

•••
Um...aren't they registry reserved in case the TM owner wants the domain? Pretty sure that was done on purpose he isn't holding them back for himself

Actually they're not registry reserved. The registry can reserve up to 100. The rest has been sold to another entity (company) which put them up for sale :) Frank doesn't make a secret of it, it's just that he found a legal loophole and used it.

•••
Actually they're not registry reserved. The registry can reserve up to 100. The rest has been sold to another entity (company) which put them up for sale :) Frank doesn't make a secret of it, it's just that he found a legal loophole and used it.

Oh ok, I was just basing that off of what cool ventures said. Didn't quite seem like something FS would do I haven't read much into this nor anything gtld related for that matter.

•••
For those who say that I'm a squatter because out of my 50 domains I have bloggers.link and place FS on a pedestal... um, where have you been?
The domain that is an obvious problem is that of secondlife.land and it has been pointed out previously. You really should take a look at this section from the UDRP:
http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/udrp/policy

"4. Mandatory Administrative Proceeding.

This Paragraph sets forth the type of disputes for which you are required to submit to a mandatory administrative proceeding. These proceedings will be conducted before one of the administrative-dispute-resolution service providers listed at www.icann.org/en/dndr/udrp/approved-providers.htm (each, a "Provider").

a. Applicable Disputes. You are required to submit to a mandatory administrative proceeding in the event that a third party (a "complainant") asserts to the applicable Provider, in compliance with the Rules of Procedure, that

(i) your domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights; and

(ii) you have no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and

(iii) your domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.

In the administrative proceeding, the complainant must prove that each of these three elements are present.
b. Evidence of Registration and Use in Bad Faith. For the purposes of Paragraph 4(a)(iii), the following circumstances, in particular but without limitation, if found by the Panel to be present, shall be evidence of the registration and use of a domain name in bad faith:

(i) circumstances indicating that you have registered or you have acquired the domain name primarily for the purpose of selling, renting, or otherwise transferring the domain name registration to the complainant who is the owner of the trademark or service mark or to a competitor of that complainant, for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name; or

(ii) you have registered the domain name in order to prevent the owner of the trademark or service mark from reflecting the mark in a corresponding domain name, provided that you have engaged in a pattern of such conduct; or

(iii) you have registered the domain name primarily for the purpose of disrupting the business of a competitor; or

(iv) by using the domain name, you have intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to your web site or other on-line location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant's mark as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of your web site or location or of a product or service on your web site or location."

Second Life, should it decide to take a UDRP action against you over that domain, may be able to prove a bad faith registration. Now people around here have tried to help you by pointing out such obvious issues but instead you seem to think that you know everything about trademark law and intellectual property rights as they apply to domain names. It may not seem like it but we are trying to help you avoid problems.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
New gTLD Counts / Changes 20140424

This morning's (20140424) changes:
Code:
[b]tld - count - change[/b]
farm	1389	1160
codes	629	502
viajes	527	452
email	24218	251
solutions	12068	249
guru	51585	242
link	22379	195
today	20845	187
photography	33003	172
marketing	4012	135
international	5980	118
company	15673	118
center	13137	112
photos	9858	94
education	5636	93
house	4600	89
solar	1863	89
tips	20433	89
coffee	3634	84
systems	7024	78
training	6512	74
berlin	46012	71
support	6229	64
holiday	2904	60
photo	5969	59
technology	13784	59
directory	12888	57
gift	5145	57
gallery	10086	56
academy	7167	56
bike	10222	55
red	685	46
builders	2329	41
camp	2332	40
repair	3014	40
onl	841	40
blue	465	40
clothing	10375	40
sexy	12671	39
estate	9063	38
buzz	1527	38
pics	2942	37
cab	2084	37
institute	2802	36
careers	4165	35
boutique	419	35
construction	4422	32
pink	375	29
graphics	5161	28
management	4829	28
land	10565	27
ceo	878	27
menu	3921	23
ruhr	2928	23
kitchen	3544	22
contractors	3654	22
lighting	4382	22
enterprises	3139	20
camera	3862	19
limo	1889	18
equipment	7188	17
computer	2576	17
glass	1916	17
kim	296	15
diamonds	2859	15
shoes	3439	15
uno	5149	14
domains	4257	14
holdings	4417	13
florist	2091	12
plumbing	4074	12
ventures	5534	9
tattoo	5973	9
guitars	656	9
recipes	2209	8
cheap	145	6
singles	6626	6
bargains	184	4
ninja	51	3
build	91	3
immobilien	44	2
london	50	1
luxury	484	1

This morning's top new gTLD counts:
Code:
[b]tld - count[/b]
guru	51585
berlin	46012
photography	33003
email	24218
link	22379
today	20845
tips	20433
company	15673
technology	13784
center	13137
directory	12888
sexy	12671
solutions	12068
land	10565
clothing	10375
bike	10222
gallery	10086
photos	9858
estate	9063
xn--3ds443g	8579
xn--fiq228c5hs	7846
equipment	7188
academy	7167
systems	7024
singles	6626
training	6512
support	6229
international	5980
tattoo	5973
photo	5969
education	5636
ventures	5534
graphics	5161
uno	5149
gift	5145
management	4829
house	4600
construction	4422
holdings	4417
lighting	4382
domains	4257
careers	4165
plumbing	4074
marketing	4012
menu	3921
camera	3862
contractors	3654
coffee	3634
kitchen	3544
shoes	3439
xn--q9jyb4c	3420
enterprises	3139
repair	3014
pics	2942
ruhr	2928
holiday	2904
diamonds	2859
institute	2802
computer	2576
camp	2332
builders	2329
voyage	2244
recipes	2209
florist	2091
cab	2084
glass	1916
limo	1889
xn--ngbc5azd	1867
solar	1863
buzz	1527
farm	1389
ceo	878
onl	841
red	685
guitars	656
codes	629
viajes	527
luxury	484
blue	465
boutique	419
pink	375
kim	296
xn--6frz82g	280
club	241
bargains	184
cheap	145
build	91
shiksha	78
nagoya	68
agency	64
best	63
zone	58
ninja	51
london	50
wed	45
immobilien	44
rich	37
dance	33
democrat	26
xn--cg4bki	18
wiki	7
wien	7
vote	5
xn--nqv7fs00ema	5
monash	5
black	5
voto	5
tokyo	5
meet	5
xyz	4
axa	4
xn--nqv7f	3
maison	2
cleaning	2
exposed	2
villas	2
vacations	2
productions	2
dating	2
industries	2
xn--i1b6b1a6a2e	2
works	2
condos	2
community	2
fish	2
expert	2
rentals	2
cards	2
tools	2
xn--unup4y	2
parts	2
supply	2
cool	2
neustar	2
flights	2
report	2
vision	2
events	2
catering	2
properties	2
tienda	2
partners	2
cruises	2
supplies	2
foundation	2
watch	2
fishing	1
reviews	1
trade	1
horse	1
bid	1
country	1
haus	1
xn--c1avg	1
miami	1
rocks	1
rest	1
vodka	1
christmas	1
kred	1
pub	1
kaufen	1
okinawa	1
bar	1
consulting	1
moe	1
actor	1
futbol	1
webcam	1
jetzt	1
ink	1
nyc	1
cooking	1
social	1
moda	1
rodeo	1

Regards...jmcc

•••
New gTLD in 2014

Fourteen new gTLDs will go live this week, and will be available for registration on a first come first serve basis.

The new gTLDs are:

.PICS

.BUZZ

.GUITARS

.GIFT

.LINK

.HOLIDAY

.MARKETING

.ONL

.RED

.PINK

.BLUE

.KIM

and 2 more

Act fast and grab your favorite name before someone snatches it!!

Ay, can you take a break from copying and pasting stuff from other sites? Old information at that.

As far as new gtlds, got 3 today:
codes
farm
viajes - travel in Spanish

For every new gtld you buy today, a kitten smiles and somewhere a life is saved

Out with a whimper:
codes - 629
farm - 1,389
viajes - travel in Spanish - 527
the other one with travel in another language not doing great either after being out for weeks - voyage - 2,244

Last edited:
•••
This morning's main movements:
Code:
[b]tld - domains - change[/b]
buzz    4382    2800
xn--3ds443g     9803    1224
email   24875   331
guru    52028   293
international   6360    209
company 16039   144
link    22744   144
photography     33342   131
solutions       12420   128
today   21065   105
center  13373   103
technology      13962   101
marketing       4235    96
farm    1696    91
directory       13083   82
systems 7180    82
education       5761    73
photos  9993    67
tips    20549   66
codes   799     61
training        6627    58
viajes  675     57
academy 7283    55
support 6346    54
house   4726    53
holiday 2995    43
uno     5202    43
photo   6063    40
berlin  46091   40
coffee  3737    39
menu    3988    39
sexy    12766   36
domains 4327    36
red     757     35
gallery 10150   30
management      4892    30
clothing        10441   29
lighting        4427    28
pics    3000    27
institute       2873    27
construction    4470    27
repair  3059    23
graphics        5217    22
equipment       7230    22
enterprises     3184    22
blue    512     21
builders        2381    20
glass   1955    20
camp    2378    19
pink    415     18
solar   1905    18
cab     2112    17
onl     894     17
contractors     3688    17
computer        2628    16
estate  9092    15
voyage  2273    15
bike    10272   15
land    10607   14

Main Counts:
Code:
[b]tld - domains[/b]
guru    52028
berlin  46091
photography     33342
email   24875
link    22744
today   21065
tips    20549
company 16039
technology      13962
center  13373
directory       13083
sexy    12766
solutions       12420
land    10607
clothing        10441
bike    10272
gallery 10150
photos  9993
xn--3ds443g     9803
estate  9092
xn--fiq228c5hs  7846
academy 7283
equipment       7230
systems 7180
singles 6657
training        6627
international   6360
support 6346
photo   6063
tattoo  6001
education       5761
ventures        5558
graphics        5217
uno     5202
gift    5195
management      4892
house   4726
construction    4470
holdings        4448
lighting        4427
buzz    4382
domains 4327
marketing       4235
careers 4203
plumbing        4091
menu    3988
camera  3894
coffee  3737
contractors     3688
kitchen 3575
shoes   3467
xn--q9jyb4c     3426
enterprises     3184
repair  3059
pics    3000
holiday 2995
ruhr    2943
institute       2873
diamonds        2868

Regards...jmcc

•••
i see buzz is pulling a shilling and moving a bunch of 'premium' domains to 'another' company and making them resolve..if more registries do this numbers will be useless.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back