Dynadot

New gTLD Registrations So Far Past Half Million As .GURU Passes 50,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ankitpatel

Established Member
Impact
The total number of domain names registered across all new gTLDs roared past 500,000 on 15 April, jumping 46,349 registrations in one day according nTLDstats.com. The number of domains registered across all of the new gTLDs stood at 558,051 as of 21 April.
And .guru has become the first of the new gTLDs to pass the 50,000 registrations mark, reaching 51,390 with a market share of 9.21 percent, and widening the gap in recent weeks to .berlin which now has 46,405 registrations, and a 8.32 percent market share. In third place is still .photography that now has 32,832 registrations.
The number of registrations has grown consistently, with registrations being in part driven by the progressive General Availability of new gTLDs, and the more successful driving bumps in total figures. One bump coming soon will be the launch of .london. Anyone with an interest in a .london domain can apply from 29 April. Preferences are given to applicants as follows:
those with trademarks verified with ICANN's Trademark Clearinghouse database
Londoners (those with a physical address in the City of London or its 32 boroughs) with rights to a name (such as proof of business or trading name)
Londoners (those with a physical address in the City of London or its 32 boroughs)
non-Londoners.
During August 2014, Dot London will allocate names according to priority ranking and where there is more than one applicant in the same priority ranking for the same domain name, an auction will decide who will get the name.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought I would take this opportunity to post a photo of a blueberry muffin that sort of looks like a chihuahua.

Blueberry-Muffin-Looks-Like-a-Chihuahua.jpg

•••
•••
The term pioneer is a bit vague which includes "among the first" is what I'm referring to. I am certainly among the first involved with the Internet relative to the year 2000 to present. I did not achieve anything popular or profitable (when considering time investment).
In 1995 I accurately predicted much about the Internet. but that research paper is not notable as far as causing any pioneering change or something lol.
The Internet and the Web were well underway by that time. The number of websites was growing rapidly and there was mass advertising by ISPs at a consumer level. AOL was also shifting away from metered access in the mid 1990s. There were millions of people involved with the internet and the web at that time. You are most certainly not "among the first". Now it might be more of your embellishment but there are people on here who were around then and really do know what they are talking about.

I can say now I'm among the most involved with the new gTLDs
Not really. Frank Schilling would be far more involved. :) Your involvement is strictly that of an end user. Nothing more. Anything else is just marketing hype.

ICANN and Donuts have pulled it back from me and swept it all under the rug hoping we all forget about the historic event.
ICANN didn't pull it back. ICANN published the list of domains to be withheld. Donuts accidentally released these domains and it had to take them back. Now if you really were such a pioneering and elite domainer then you would have done your basic due diligence research and targeted high value keywords. That you did not speaks volumes as to your credibility as a domainer of many years of experience.

Regards...jmcc

•••
"I'm the closest to being a domaining pioneer here."

You might be delusional. You've been doing this since 1996 and have what to show for it? You're squatting on company names like a rookie. And you continue to post stuff that doesn't make much sense, it's a pattern.

Those domains aren't available for $1, they're probably not even available period.

Nike and those other companies aren't going to push those extensions, when they have the best already.

"after being burned terribly by both Donuts and Uniregistry"

If you truly feel that way, if you buy more, that makes you.......?

" HOWEVER, I do plan to switch back to a new gTLD later this year"

This is funny to me because you posted your (imaginary) site visitors can't spell the world "whale". But somehow they're going to keep up with 4 different site names so far, more to come?

Last edited:
•••
I've been domaining since 1996, so it wouldn't be surprising if I'm the closest to being a domaining pioneer here.

Saying your a domaining pioneer is a stretch. I would expect more from someone who's been domaining since 1996 (i.e. not squatting on company names - typical of people new to the domain world).

•••
No one can still predict which of the extensions could compare to dot com, the king of extension. However the momentom is getting high and high off the ground. :wave:
Don't you think that people with the statistics would have a better chance at measuring the momentum (which is quite low) and predicting such things?

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Troll alert! His avatar even looks like a troll (whatever a troll would look like).

Frank Shilling brags about being a domainer "since the turn of the century" which is four years after I've been doing it.

Both you and JB are totally wrong about saying someone who has been domaining since 1996 is not a pioneer... there were only a very small handful of domainers in 1996.
How come those who were around then never heard of you? :) There weren't that many .com domains around back then compared to today and domains were free in the early days (those who were there remember this). So what is your oldest (or first) registration?

Frank has a track record. You don't. :)

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

As much as I like to pick on JB since he's a bit ruthless, I mostly agree with him now as evidenced by me switching back to .com after being burned terribly by both Donuts and Uniregistry and I don't like the fact of losing many to the .com version.
It is more a case of caveat emptor than being burned. You didn't do your research on the new gTLDs. Donuts released domains that should have been reserved and then had to take them back because of its contract with ICANN.

This is how I think many major entities such as Nike can and will promote the new gTLDs and cause a landrush that far exceeds this piddly 1/2 million total (which as JB mentioned and I was the first to discover includes Registry spin-off reservations).
No you were not. The whole issue of registries reserving premium domains and having sweetheart deals with companies that they owned has been discussed for years even at ICANN level. Most people here and in the wider domaining business (as opposed to the domain industry) were aware of it. But with every new TLD market, there is a crop of newbies like yourself. :)

The withholding of premium domains has been a feature of most new TLDs launched since 2006. The .MOBI launch was the landmark for this kind of activity and it was, on the surface, intended to keep a kind of buzz going about the TLD with high profile sales and auctions that would encourage people to register domains. Much the same thing was tried with .ASIA. When .CO was repurposed, COInternet withheld large numbers of "premium" domains and it concentrated on doing deals with large companies for single character domains for use as url shorteners. However most of .CO ccTLD is parked on PPC landing pages or undeveloped. That may well be the fate of many of these new gTLDs - domainer "successes", little development or usage and minimal public awareness.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind average domain portfolio turnover is around 1% annually so with 500k regs, if demand for new TLDs were normal in six months one could expect 2500 aftermarket new TLD sales $XXX or higher. While I am sure there will be some reported sales, I would suspect the turnover rate will be much lower than in .COM - probably for many years.

•••
Aren't you afraid that in a few years or 5 years you might look back at the blind hate you have for this almost silent revolution being unleashed on the internet and think "if i only ..." ? :)

I don't "hate" anything.

If anything, the blinders are off, and I'm seeing numbers as they are.

So far, they aren't pretty.

:)

•••
1. You can target anything with keywords, they fit fine in .com and every other extension already existing. You're just putting the keyword on the other side of the dot is not really a big deal, and it's a confusing one at that.

3. You don't need to sell an organ to get a decent .com. There is a recent thread where Brad pointed out some .coms and their relatively low cost. One blog post end user sales all the time, you can get decent ones for low x,xxx or hand reg something original. Your point is basically a myth.

4. .com owners don't fear second rate extensions. It's one of things the people buying new gtlds have to tell themselves I guess to feel better about it. Having an opinion on them or pointing out numbers is just that. Saying it's hate or worried about their portfolio is silly. And do you know those who buy .com, can buy anything? If they felt there was money to be made, they would.

5. You're the first one I think that actually said these might be good on radio. If somebody heard, usedcarsfor.sale on the radio, good chance they're going to type in usedcarsforsale.com

6. Getting online and starting a website are 2 different things. Plus, consider a country's own extension. Most of these are niche, English language terms. Most of the world could care less about them.

7. "Wait till you see the next 5 / 10 / 15 years !" Click the link in my last post, went over that. If I was selling them, I would want you to wait 15 years as well, keep making me money with those renewals.

"There is always some kind of risk when investing in something but we'd be pretty bored if everything was safe and only need to walk the beaten path :)"

More of a risk with these. These aren't proven at all, unlike a .com. Most of the stuff you brought up, is the same stuff mj brings up and we've gone over many times and even he isn't touching these with a 10 ft pole. If an end user actually wants to try one of these new ones out, they have more options. You think you have some great .photo, the enduser can get photos, photograhy, pics, whatever else. The supply is in their favor, not yours.

Last edited:
•••
Back then in 1996, there was only one registrar: NS and they were expensive and also required you purchase hosting with the domain name.
No it didn't. Network Solutions was primarily involved with domain name registrations.

It cost around $120 per year for the domain name
It was $100 for two years. It later dropped to $70 for two years.

I was a webmaster who bought and sold domains for clients.
That was just part of being a web developer back then. That's not quite being a domainer.

But then you also claimed to have been involved in the launch of new gTLDs. What you didn't say was that you only bought domain names. Other people were far more involved with the launch and your appropriation of the credit for their hard and unpaid work is distasteful.

There does seem to be a lot of revisionism going on about your "history" in the domain business. Perhaps it is all just marketing to you but to some of us, it is our history.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
"I now christen thee... SCARY SPICE!!!"

internet-dont_worry_tron-300x254.jpg

•••
For those who say that I'm a squatter because out of my 50 domains I have bloggers.link and place FS on a pedestal... um, where have you been?
The domain that is an obvious problem is that of secondlife.land and it has been pointed out previously. You really should take a look at this section from the UDRP:
http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/udrp/policy

"4. Mandatory Administrative Proceeding.

This Paragraph sets forth the type of disputes for which you are required to submit to a mandatory administrative proceeding. These proceedings will be conducted before one of the administrative-dispute-resolution service providers listed at www.icann.org/en/dndr/udrp/approved-providers.htm (each, a "Provider").

a. Applicable Disputes. You are required to submit to a mandatory administrative proceeding in the event that a third party (a "complainant") asserts to the applicable Provider, in compliance with the Rules of Procedure, that

(i) your domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights; and

(ii) you have no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and

(iii) your domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.

In the administrative proceeding, the complainant must prove that each of these three elements are present.
b. Evidence of Registration and Use in Bad Faith. For the purposes of Paragraph 4(a)(iii), the following circumstances, in particular but without limitation, if found by the Panel to be present, shall be evidence of the registration and use of a domain name in bad faith:

(i) circumstances indicating that you have registered or you have acquired the domain name primarily for the purpose of selling, renting, or otherwise transferring the domain name registration to the complainant who is the owner of the trademark or service mark or to a competitor of that complainant, for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name; or

(ii) you have registered the domain name in order to prevent the owner of the trademark or service mark from reflecting the mark in a corresponding domain name, provided that you have engaged in a pattern of such conduct; or

(iii) you have registered the domain name primarily for the purpose of disrupting the business of a competitor; or

(iv) by using the domain name, you have intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to your web site or other on-line location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant's mark as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of your web site or location or of a product or service on your web site or location."

Second Life, should it decide to take a UDRP action against you over that domain, may be able to prove a bad faith registration. Now people around here have tried to help you by pointing out such obvious issues but instead you seem to think that you know everything about trademark law and intellectual property rights as they apply to domain names. It may not seem like it but we are trying to help you avoid problems.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Just curious, which .extensions were they?

both with .directory extension GEO

I am in process of selling an GEO with .estate extension for 8500 dollars, if buyer agreed I will report the sale.

•••
i think .photography is the surprise at the moment

•••
thats a lot of money in the garbage, wow

•••
Im more interested in how many of these get renewed next year. 50k is definitely a surprising amount of regs though.

•••
The only worrying factor is that not too many new gTLD sales are happening at the moment.

It's a little like buying Land on Moon and selling it back to Earthlings :)

•••

I wonder how many of these are end users?

•••
•••
•••
Most of those registered gTLDs are owned by the partner companies of the registries. So luckely, not that much money is wasted as it looks like.

Last edited:
•••
No one can still predict which of the extensions could compare to dot com, the king of extension. However the momentom is getting high and high off the ground. :wave:

•••

A joke, right?

I'm not seeing this momentum.

•••

A joke, right?

I'm not seeing this momentum.

Aren't you afraid that in a few years or 5 years you might look back at the blind hate you have for this almost silent revolution being unleashed on the internet and think "if i only ..." ? :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back