Dynadot

.mobi New extension: .mobi??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Mmmm..GoDaddy announced that their new domain extension that is coming is .mobi. I am just wondering, what do you all think. Personally, I think it's going to be worthless, definatly no domain rush for that. It is going to be for mobile companies, which could help my website out www.Free-Texting.com and I will buy a free texting .mobi domain when it comes out but personally, I don't think it will be worth any attention.

What do you all think? :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's expensive though. I think someone said in another thread it was like $250 for a pre-register.

That price will scare a lot of domainers away.

•••
Is it for mobile companies or telecom companies? Many companies and products can fall under the term mobile

•••
under $10/year should be reasonable

•••
ha

at $250 bucks a pop there will be NO market for them. just not worth the risk IMHO.

•••
"Tell the mobile world who you are.
Tap into the critical link between your mobile operator and your Internet service.
Make your mobile device your Internet and communications tool of choice. "

I thinks its any type of mobile company.

•••
Actually I do not have a cell phone at the moment, I had one but the contract terminated and I have still to sign up for a new one.

I rarely see black berries, and the cell phone i used before did not have internet access by default. I'm not going to pay an extra $x-$xx per month to view websites on a tiny screen.

Also, .mobi is too long to type each time i want to visit a site. .com is normally in the cellphone's database of "letters"

•••
in new version of mobile browser, is it possible to make .mobi the default ext. for mobile Internet browser?

•••
.mobi sucks. Another worthless extension to make some registry rich. We need .web not .mobi.

•••
•••
Can't we someone petition to make a new extension?

How are new extensions created anyways?

•••
webcom said:
.mobi sucks. Another worthless extension to make some registry rich. We need .web not .mobi.
Simply, yet nicely put. No one's going to remember ".mobi", and if you say it verbally, people will type in ".moby". I don't see what this extension will accomplish if they're trying to get .tel in there.

•••
Mobile can be used for cell phones, transporting companies, etc...

It will probably be pronounced: Mob' i

I think most companies will take it just because they can. I don't think the domain will cost over xxx, or even near high xx. The pre-regs arent even up yet, it's coming MAY 2006!
Get ready. :)

•••
Anyone have a saying on this? the price maybe.

I am pretty sure there wont be a big landrush for this.

•••
Creating a .mobi extension was about as smart as creating the dot tel one.

Why would a company who already has a .com/.biz/.info address want to start using .mobi as their address? Even companies who don't have an existing address right now. Why would you only want to brand yourself on "mobile" devices. The internet is going to be everywhere, including the .TV. Going to a dot mobi address on my TV in my living room someday just isn't going to happen.

Dumb, just plain dumb.

Last edited:
•••
for $250 you can have EXCELLENT GTLTLDs (Geoghrafics Three Letter Top Level Domains) :)
it's better to invest there, just IMHO.

•••
I doubt .mobi will actually be over $20. No one will really buy it, same as for .biz, business companies don't really buy .biz, they buy .com, only a website like FREESTUFFNOW.biz would get it. :)

•••
The .mobi TLD is a perfect example of overkill. One of the ideas of the .mobi extension is to target websites that have "mobile freindly" sites that will fit a mobile screen (which by the way are not consistently shaped), and only use the mobile versions of things like java or javascript so that sites will work correctly. Another reason is so that search engines can quickly categorize and search sites with mobile compatible content easily for those wanting only mobile content.

I say lets put some old technology that's about as old as the internet to use and show them it can be done better and cheaper without the .mobi extension. Here's how to do so easily and cheaply:

If your domain were for example pizza.com, you can create subdomains for different technologies, screen resolutions, or even different browsers.

• For "Mobile" devices, create a mobi.pizza.com subdomain
  • For PDA compatible sites, create pda.pizza.com
  • For browser customized sites create firefox.pizza.com or ie.pizza.com.
  • For the new Origami design mobile devices origami.pizza.com, or tablet.pizza.com for tablet PC's.

All it takes is a couple lines of script or some .htaccess code on the www. or base domain to redirect a user to the correctly formatted subdomain for their device, screen resolution, dimensions, or browser brand or version. By using subdomains like PDA, MOBI, Origami, Firefox, CELLULAR, or others is extremely simple for google and other search engines to filter and categorize by destination host device. All .mobi devices themselves won't have the same resolutions, features, or capabilities. In addition, you wouldn't have to market multiple domain names for a company.

Any of us can do this now! at no cost with the domains we already have. Subdomains are a much under-utilized and low or no cost domain naming feature. What kind of revolution could we start if we all created more .mobi subdomains than were registered with the .mobi TLD? :hehe:

Sorry .mobi fans, I think it's flawed and unnecessary, and I'm not buying into it.

Afterthought to my previous post:

I do see two advantages to the .mobi domain over subdomains. First, by rules of the registry, they can enforce compliance with standards for mobile devices, which can't be done with a subdomain.

Second, they will probably be successful to some extent just because the consortium of those who back it OWN the mobile networks, software, and device manufacturing. Therefore, they will probably also have some control over what internet URL's you can easily access on mobile devices.

Last edited:
•••
I just got an email from my registrar:

On Monday May 22, the new domain name - .mobi (dotMobi). will launch for the first time ever on the Internet.
dotMobi promises Internet users friendly, easy to use websites on their mobile phones and other devices. Any of you who try to use the web on their cell phones know how clunky and terrible normal websites are on the mobile device. The dotMobi Registry, which is sponsored by some of the heavy hitters in the industry (Nokia, Microsoft, Vodafone, Google and others), has published special guides that ensure your websites will look good and work well on mobile phones.

Limited Industry Sunrise Opens May 22
On Monday, May 22 members of the mobile industry will have an exclusive opportunity to register their Trademark .mobi names. Only members of AMTA, CTIA, CWTA, GSMA, MEF, MMA and RCA can register their trademarks, from May 22 to May 29.
Please verify your membership carefully, because the dotMobi registry requires registration for two years, and the fee will not be refunded if your membership in the association is invalid.
Apply for the Limited Industry Sunrise at http://www.namesbeyond.com/mobi/TrademarkDetails.php
Trademark Sunrise Opens June 12
On Monday, June 12, all trademark holders can apply for and register their dotMobi domain names in the official Trademark Sunrise. Your trademark must be *issued before* July 11, 2005 in order to be eligible for registration. Sunrise closes on August 21.
Since the dotMobi registry requires a non-refundable registration for two years, please make sure your trademark conforms to the rules.
Apply for Trademark Sunrise at http://www.namesbeyond.com/mobi/TrademarkDetails.php
Sunrise Registration FAQ: http://www.namesbeyond.com/mobi/ResourceCenter/sunrise_faq.html
LandRush Opens August 28
The big opening for dotMobi commences on Monday August 28. Based on the huge amount of press interest, discussions with domain name real estate companies, and individuals, August 28 th might be the largest domain name opening in 2006.
Pre-register for the LandRush now -- send us an email to [email protected] to be placed on our pre-registration list for the dotMobi LandRush. We will publish the dotMobi LandRush application page in a week's time.
LandRush Registration FAQ: http://www.namesbeyond.com/mobi/ResourceCenter/landrush_faq.html
Access the dotMobi Resource Center
We have created a comprehensive Resource Center that answers many of your questions regarding the dotMobi domain and its launch. Visit us at
http://www.namesbeyond.com/mobi/ResourceCenter/index.html

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back