Dynadot

Never regged domains VS. drops !!?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all, I´m still a newbie and couldn´t find a clear answer for that here yet...

Thank you to everyone who can explain me if the money (on flipping) is really only in the resale of expiring domains or also in the "new" domains, that havn´t been registered before.

I was told so, but I know all the pros will ever have scanned droplists before I will know which one to get or not :(

My actual approach is to look for 2 word generic coms which reflect businesses or products...and there are really plenty available.

As an example I own LeadVests:com and some area tailored ones like HollywoodShuttle:com.

As far as I know they have never been regged before and I feel they have a good branding potential to endusers in these businesses.

However, after some 20 emails (for both) they didn´t sell for a set $499 or $399.

What would you recommend in this case, concerning pricing and about the whole approach?!?

I´m happy over every answer (and I´m german, so sorry in case there are mistakes in my grammar).

Mike

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thank you to everyone who can explain me if the money (on flipping) is really only in the resale of expiring domains or also in the "new" domains, that havn´t been registered before.

From my experience older domains are most costly to acquire but can fetch a good amount in ultimate resale so the ROI is better. It's no surprise, most premium domains were registered at an early stage. When you see some big ticket sale report on DNJ it often involves an old domain.

There are still good domains expiring every day though.
I often sell fresh regs for mid-$$$, sometimes low $$$$.
It all boils down to quality.

•••
Hello Mike,

The beauty of domain names is that value truly is in the eye of the beholder. Names are only truly worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for them. New registrations can be flipped but its rarer to see nowadays, mostly because the majority of good domains have long been registered. Popular domains nowadays are ones with the following factors:

1) Highly searched keywords.
2) Aged domains.
3) Geographic locations.
4) Keywords with high PPC.

The reason domainers prefer to catch domains is because more dropped domains meet this criteria as opposed to newly registered ones.

It is still possible to flip domains you have registered though. Recently I have sold a few domains that I only registered a few days ago.

The most important rule to remember with domaining is just DONT REGISTER WITHOUT RESEARCH. Make sure you get others opinions, find out how popular the keywords are and if you are registering a geographic location research it too!

Research, research and research will help you a lot. :hi:

•••
My actual approach is to look for 2 word generic coms which reflect businesses or products...and there are really plenty available.

However, after some 20 emails (for both) they didn´t sell for a set $499 or $399.

Mike,

I have achieved plenty of sales where I have hand registered names and then sold them on to end users, as well as doing the same with "pre-loved" names which have dropped.

Your approach for 2 word generic dot coms is what works for me - I concentrate on business, commercial or industrial names that mostly would probably have little or no interest for domainers but for which end users find useful if presented at the right price.

I would suggest that you always have potential end users (note plural) in mind before registering dot com names. I find that perhaps 80% of successfully flipping a name is down to the right choice of name in the first place.

20 emails per name might not be enough to generate enough initial interest to achieve a sale. Unless you are superhuman you will not sell every name. If you dont get any interest on one name, move on to the next, and the next, and the next, etc. Dont give up, keep on going. Sometimes no-one wants to buy anything; next everyone wants every name you tell them about.

Initially I would be keeping my prices lower than what you mention until you get a number of sales under your belt. My experience has told me that $250 - $400 is a good level for me; which is not a bad return for a sub $10 hand registration. Initially you may start getting sales at say $150; as you get more experience you will be more successful getting higher prices.

Dont worry about trying to extract the last cent out of every transaction; get some sales going, increase your level of experience and dont get emotionally attached to any particular name. There are thousands of good names in this category out there not yet registered with end user potential; it is not like selling a LLL.com where you cant so easily replace your stock with another one and therefore the temptation is to try to get the highest price possible.

Good luck.

•••
Hi David, I see we are speaking the same language :)

Very good, so I don´t feel so lost with my approach any more ..

So you think I should find more potential end users for my domains this time priced around $150 maybe??

I mean, it´s not $499, but still...what a biz!!

I do a lot of research and I try to stay focused on products or services where I can find a generic 2 term com for and I also try to target areas (cities).

Do you think that if I was a "domain authority" and had a big name with 1000´s of domains sold I´d do better with the same approach? How important is this?

And, further I wonder if people (mostly american) refuse to do business with a german guy (I use my .de - mail account to mail them)..

You know I just started like 2 months ago and I feel that I´m starting to get the picture....but still I review my actions a lot, try to locate my errors..

I am currently also trying a low-budget adwords campaign for two of my domains on content-related sites, I will test for a week or so..

So after all, would you say you work quite like me, or are there big differences? I.e. do you send letters instead of mails?

Looking forward to reading from you soon.

Mike

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Thank you Dave!!

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Thx, sdsinc !

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back