NameSilo

Never Lose E-mail Again

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The biggest problem people have in their on-line experience, including business users is losing their e-mail address because they changed internet providers or their provider went out of business etc.

You can still continue to use your Hotmail, Yahoo or any other e-mail account from your ISP but use it in a smart way!

Step 1: Select a domain name such as your-name.com. Registering a domain name is cheap on average $15US/year and there are no other fees.

Step 2: Find a domain registrar that provides free e-mail forwarding/aliases.

Step 3: Register that domain and create an alias. eg. [email protected] and forward it to your current e-mail eg. [email protected]

Step 4: You should be able to modify the FROM and REPLY To fields to "[email protected]" make sure people always e-mail that address and no matter what provider you are on, that address will always exist for life (as long as you continue to register the domain name).

Now you'll never run the risk of losing e-mail again. Just make sure you never e-mail with a reply-to or from address of your old e-mail address and you will be set for life.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
ok... well you could just stick with the hotmail account which is free or get a subdomain and free hosting :S

•••
J_Ronaldo_19 said:
ok... well you could just stick with the hotmail account which is free or get a subdomain and free hosting :S

I'm not sure if you understood the basic point of the article :). If you use your hotmail account and it disappears or hotmail.com does not provide free e-mail then what, people e-mailing your hotmail account will get a bounce-back :). By using a domain you own people can always e-mail you at that address.

•••
yah good concept, i already use this and it works nice :)

•••
j0e said:
yah good concept, i already use this and it works nice :)

Yes it does :). I made that because I am tired of friends and family whining or asking why they can't keep their excite.ca e-mail address or what to do now that they switched ISPs. IMHO using you ISPs e-mail is the craziest thing but for some reason it seems people think it works better or they have to :)

Cheers to never losing e-mail :great:

•••
Best way to use Email and if you use different aliases on your domain Email
you can track where enquiries/SPAM emails originated from.
i.e. e*** at somewhere.ext
ForumPost at somewhere.ext
Personal at Somewhere.net

•••
Barefoottech said:
Best way to use Email and if you use different aliases on your domain Email
you can track where enquiries/SPAM emails originated from.
i.e. e*** at somewhere.ext
ForumPost at somewhere.ext
Personal at Somewhere.net

That works too and it's ok if you don't mind creating a lot of e-mails (providing you have enough to use). It is a funny way to bust sites for spamming you :)

Too bad we couldn't take that evidence and seriously have those spam sites punished such as forums and other membership sites that always promise to not SPAM :gl:

•••
some email providers have the features of catch-all mail account, you don't need to setup lots of account to track who are sending spam emails. They can catch all the emails sending to any names with your domain. so when you are signing in a new web service, use their name @ your domain.com to register and don't need to setup an account just for it.

•••
Cool man !!! It's useful for me !! !!!

Thanks
Virtua

•••
If your a webmaster (which I think you would be to be in this section) then you should / would have a domain & hosting, now most control panels, I know cPanel does, have a section to make emails forward to another address, but at that point you dont need too, because you should have a free web based email program and or can use pop3, its not that much extra to get a host, you can pick them up cheap, and also you can get domains cheaper for like $8 because you dont need the email forwarding functions...

PJ

•••
good idea, but i would stick with something like gmail, because you can also forward that to your ISP as well and you dont have to pay for a domain either

•••
•••
•••
Trouble With Gmail,HotMail,Yahoo and Any other FreebieEMail Address is the Credibilty factor. Because anyone can setup something like
[email protected]
No-one knows for sure if it is
Me or someone else
But BareFootTech@(One of My Domain Names )
Says yes it must be Kosher
as for setting up Multiple emails
don't need to if using Email alias and SpamAssasin will filter a lot of spam
I received 921 Emails on 14July ,200+ were spam filtered
of the 123 received at [email protected] all were Spam
whereas my real email Address had only 3 from 500+
as it is not Displayed on websites/forums

•••
I redirect *@refrozen.com to my gmail account ;)

•••
um is it possible to set up something with that domain email so that everytime I reply the reply get sent to the domain email where it get sent back to the person I want to reply to?

•••
Use gmail.Set its Auto-forwarding system to forward all your mails to another email account.

•••
I have *@myprivatedomain.ext and *@companydomain.ext forwarded to my gmail account. I use filters over at gmail to sort my incoming emails. After sorting out all known emails I forward a copy of unknown emails to an account with my mobile phone provider. For only $2/month I receive all emails from that account as SMS to my cellphone.

Works perfectly fine! =)

•••
Can you recommend a registrar that provides good e-mail forwarding/aliases service? I know godaddy provides it but is godaddy email forwarding working fine?

•••
The heading attracted me, because I just lost four das of email and am still scratching my head as to how this could have happenned. If anyone could shed some light on this or confirm/disprove my theory I would appreciate your input.
Here the breakdown and the steps I took in attempting to remedy the prob:
1) email was associated w/ an active, (resolving), domain registered at GoDaddy
2) DNS for the domain was on dedicated server.
3) Server was accepting email for other email accts.
4) Went through both of my email clients- triple checked settings/filters- sent test emails using both clients failed to arrive at server.
5) Shut down both clients, ran ISP email server->problem email server tests. Still, no email on receiving server. (POP not working)
6)Checked ISP server and dedicated email (problem account) server for settings. Took off all spam controls associated w/ the accounts. Ran tests. Still no results.
7)Physically moved to a new server and changed interface from c-Panel to Direct Admin. Reset server IP at registrar. When domain resolved on new DNS, ran more ISP-> domain email. Still no results.
8) Went to registrar, (GoDaddy) to set up short term email for account.
This is where it gets interesting:
9) GoDaddy system refuses the email set-up request because the email was already in the data base. "Please choose a different address".(<- Say what!? The domain hasn't been hosted their in several months. The hosting account was closed!
10)Set-up short-term hosting account. In process learn that GoDaddy's email had gone down "but the problems were resolved now."
11) Domain resolves but still am not getting email!!
12) Call GoDaddy and learn that there were some MX settings that needed to be fixed and that the email would start working shortly. Finally, after 4 das, account starts receiving email once again.

Conclusion? The only idea that I can come up w/ is that at some point, while fixing their system-wide email problem, the settings on my latent account, (which should have been cleared from their DB!), got tweaked and resulted in my probs. Nothing else makes sense. Any other ideas?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back