IT.COM

Netsol invalid auth codes - Widespread?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
TLDR: I want to know if receiving invalid auth codes from Network Solutions is a widespread problem

Like a lot of folks here, I'm a long-time Snapnames user and have wound up with thousands of names on Netsol over the years. We're all familiar with their ridiculous locks, upsells, and 3-day wait to receive auth codes, but over the past year I've run into something new... they'll send out the auth codes, but an increasingly large percent of them are wrong.

A year ago it seemed isolated to certain cctlds, but now it's over 80% of the codes I get regardless of tld.

At first it was a simple matter to open a ticket and ask to have the auth codes reset, but now they've eliminated the ticket system and emails to support@ get an auto-reply saying the account isn't monitored. Chat and phone are the only options. Both are time consuming and chat is the only way to send a long list of names that need to be escalated to get the codes reset. Of course every interaction begins with a hard sell along the lines of "why are you transferring?" "what if we offer you a better price" and sometimes chat reps disconnect when they realize you aren't going to buy anything from them.

At first I thought it was simple mistakes on their part (never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity) but with the escalation I've seen over the past year I now believe this is an intentional dark pattern aimed at retaining names (especially good names that can be resold a second time via Snap)

I'm wondering how widespread this problem is and if anyone here has a solution or workaround.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It happened to me with one of the only domains I had at NetSol

After a .io of mine sold at Afternic I went to transfer and after many days of waiting and never receiving the code, I contacted them and they made up some ridiculous excuse that the domain needed to be renewed first to avoid complications with the transfer (the domain still had over a month before expiration)
Then after I relented and paid the absurd fee of $80+ (for a .io renewal!!) I had to wait another 3 dys for them to send the code and then of course the code was invalid. After another 3 days the next was also invalid. Support each time told they could do nothing and that I would need to just wait for the new code.

All in all the transfer took weeks to even begin and I'm very lucky I didn't lose the sale.

This happened about 9-10 months ago.

Never again with Netsol, I just had to forget about Namejet opportunities.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, happened to me with a .io transfer, too. They sent the same invalid code several times over and over. I made it very clear that I need them to request a *NEW* code, because the one they keep sending is invalid. You just have to keep trying until you get one of the reps that actually reads your messages

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back