IT.COM

NetFirm Disables the "Move Domain" Option

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Finest

Top Member
Impact
Yes. Can't move domains between NetFirm accounts on your own any more, you have to ask support to do it for you. You'll have to contact support EVERY FREAKING TIME you need to move a domain. And if that's not enough, when you ask support to move a domain for you, they require that you answer the security question for the account you're transferring from AND the account you're transferring to. This last requirement is a strong contender for my "Most Stupid Authentication In The Internet Age" award.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just checked Dotster. They have committed the same stupidity. I was planning to buy 200 credits but after this new development, I will be looking for a way out instead.

•••
Just checked Dotster. They have committed the same stupidity. I was planning to buy 200 credits but after this new development, I will be looking for a way out instead.

they've commited other stupidities before too. like giving people credits to reg domains for $2 after their $2 promos end. and they end up payhing full price from their pocket.
which is why now they no longer commit this stupidity and you can now buy a maximum of 0 credits. but who wants that right.

so you see.. even stupidity learns its errors, so hopefully, they will soon learn from that push removal change.. and go back to something that doesn't need compromising the other person's security.

•••
This is what happens when people buy cheap .coms registrations. I am not surprised indeed. Like those $1 or even $2 new .com registrations. Of course you get nightmares after this. Because those platforms are not meant for domainers trading purposes. Those platforms and promotions are targeted for end-users specially who will uses value-added services on their platforms so they will earn more money, like seo, and websites building.

•••
This is what happens when people buy cheap .coms registrations. I am not surprised indeed. Like those $1 or even $2 new .com registrations. Of course you get nightmares after this. Because those platforms are not meant for domainers trading purposes. Those platforms and promotions are targeted for end-users specially who will uses value-added services on their platforms so they will earn more money, like seo, and websites building.

Can you check your private message box?

•••

well... you're taking it to extreme a bit. it's like saying you shited in your pants when all there is is just a tiny little stain.

what you describing is a very very infinitely tiny (like that stain) price to pay for getting cool stuff from them like $2 domain transfers or even some cool cheap regs. it's a lot of saved money for many domainers. no one even thinks twice about some small push hickup (when you're all good to transfer out after 60 days anyway) when some domainers are saving hundreds or more in transfer/renewal fees. it's just plain stupid to pay attention to a little stain then.

Last edited:
•••
There's a way around the security question issue. You need to ask their support to remove the domain or domains from your account. Once they do that, the buyer can add the domain/domains from their account using the 'add existing' option. It isn't ideal, but at least it's a way to transfer domains within these registrars without having to give the security answer of the other person.

Last edited:
•••
•••
well... you're taking it to extreme a bit. it's like saying you sh*ted in your pants when all there is is just a tiny little stain.

what you describing is a very very infinitely tiny (like that stain) price to pay for getting cool stuff from them like $2 domain transfers or even some cool cheap regs. it's a lot of saved money for many domainers. no one even thinks twice about some small push hickup (when you're all good to transfer out after 60 days anyway) when some domainers are saving hundreds or more in transfer/renewal fees. it's just plain stupid to pay attention to a little stain then.

While I don't agree with @tekz999 view, I don't think the issue is trivial. It poses security concerns and it also makes pushing domains a real pain, especially for flippers who move domains out almost on daily basis.

•••
There's a way around the security question issue. You need to ask their support to remove the domain or domains from your account. Once they do that, the buyer can add the domain/domains from their account using the 'add existing' option. It isn't ideal, but at least it's a way to transfer domains within these registrars without having to give the security answer of the other person.

But this alternative procedure carries a huge risk. Someone who knows about the deal may be able to hijack this flawed "move process" and add the domain before the real buyer does.

•••
But this alternative procedure carries a huge risk. Someone who knows about the deal may be able to hijack this flawed "move process" and add the domain before the real buyer does.

Naturally it would be best if the buyer and the seller are coordinated so removing the domains and adding them are done within a very short time. Pushing to end users won't carry that risk and it's hard for me to imagine that some people at NP will be taking advantage of this method and constantly checking the registrar to see when they can add a certain domain to their account. I agree that this method isn't ideal, but I prefer this system to buyers/sellers giving the security answer to their account. At least it's another option. Hopefully they'll bring back the push so we won't have to improvise.

Last edited:
•••
How is it transferring out to another registered? Is it just as bad?

•••
How is it transferring out to another registered? Is it just as bad?

Transferring out isn't that problematic. But you have to contact their support after transfers are complete because ghost "listings" remain in the account so you have to ask support to remove them.

•••
I ran into a related issue a couple weeks ago. The name was under the 60 day lock, the buyer didn't have an account there and wouldn't make one because it looked like they'd have to submit payment details. So I created a new account moved the name into it and sent the log in details to the buyer.

This is easier even if they have an account, and you need security questions answered from both accounts.

I'm a little wary of removing the name and having it float around in no mans land until the receiving party adds it. Couldn't anyone add it to there account? Obviously they'd have to be aware what was going on, but I'm sure there's a way or a hack that could be used. Maybe not, but still.

•••
I ran into a related issue a couple weeks ago. The name was under the 60 day lock, the buyer didn't have an account there and wouldn't make one because it looked like they'd have to submit payment details. So I created a new account moved the name into it and sent the log in details to the buyer.

This is easier even if they have an account, and you need security questions answered from both accounts.

I'm a little wary of removing the name and having it float around in no mans land until the receiving party adds it. Couldn't anyone add it to there account? Obviously they'd have to be aware what was going on, but I'm sure there's a way or a hack that could be used. Maybe not, but still.
I am trying to do exactly that right now. What is the best way to do it in detail?

Did you use your contact info for the new account or Their's?

Last edited:
•••
I am trying to do exactly that right now. What is the best way to do it in detail?

Did you use your contact info for the new account or Their's?
Just use yours, support chat can set it up for you to avoid adding a credit card or PayPal, they may hassle you buy they will do it eventually. Set the password and security questions to something generic and pass all the details to the buyer. They can change everything.

•••
I tried but chat insisted I give my payment details and then have then remove them afterwards.

•••
I tried but chat insisted I give my payment details and then have then remove them afterwards.
You can't remove them afterwords without them it's a pain. Tell them they're full of crap and you know they can do it. Ask for a supervisor maybe, but they can do it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back