Dynadot

question .NET vs .NETWORK can I sue?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all ... I need some advice regarding one of my domains which is being used by a company who is backed by over $60 million usd. I own the .net extension for many years now and they own the .network extension.

Isn't that an interest of conflict as .network is practically the longer version of .net?

(example: marketing.net vs marketing.network)

My domain is not in use at the moment however I do have other post in different forums from over 7 years ago and may also have emails which state the full domain name with the extension and what my use was going to be for this specific domain. I do have couple of trademarks for couple of my other domains which are related to this domain in regards of field of business / usage but don't have a trademark for this specific one.

I did have 2 or 3 email before in regards toward purchasing my domain but I kinda brushed them off.

I appreciate any help or advice in regards to this matter.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Better to ask your lawyer.

•••
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my business lawyer does not know much about web related law, but I will be looking for one that specializes in that field starting tomorrow as it is Sunday here.

•••
I'm gonna go ahead and say no. :stop:

Especially since your domain isn't even in use... :xf.confused:

Why would you want to waste your time with something like this? O_o

Sounds like a shakedown. :xf.sick:

•••
My intentions for this domain was clear in other forums which was a mistake on my part as I let the whole world know what this domain was going to be used for. Now i got this company out who is making use with another extension which is in conflict with mine; in my opinion. So what happens now; do I have a burned domain? That extension is only good for this specific business I was going to use it for but time and money was a factor here as I am not a developer.

•••
If you have TM fort that name in that specific niche maybe you have something. But if you just have same name with different extension then you don't have nothing. But if they TM that name and you or someone try to develop your domain in same niche then they could come after you. IMO...

•••
Not a chance (based on your summary) unless you hold a strong mark on the name and you neglected to mention it.
What do the owners of the .com think about someone owning the .net? :)

•••
Glass half full: If they continue to build on the .Network, and receive a lot of traffic, you (the .net) are sure to be the beneficiary of some of that traffic. Outside of the domain world, how many people know about .network VS .net? This could cause issues years down the line if new Gtlds are adopted by more, but still, on a marginal level, that company's success should bring you traffic, if not a buyout offer.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sell them your .net. From what i can see thats the only way your going to get anything out of this.

•••
I appreciate all the advice and input given.

•••
You should carefully review any correspondence you may have received about the domain name prior to their registration of the .network name.

Sometimes, in situations such as this, they will build out their new site (if this domain name is going to be used for any of significance to them), and then attempt to engineer a reverse domain hi-jacking situation. But it is also somewhat usual for them to have attempted to obtain your domain name prior to registering in the alternate extension. So you would want to look back at previous attempts to purchase the domain name, and make sure you keep those around. They may come in handy someday.

Last edited:
•••
I think there is no chance of recovery a hard reality for u is that the name is more concerned.

•••
Irene,

Are you using Google Translate or some other automatic translation program to convert your posts into English?

I don't mean to be impolite, but much of what you have been posting doesn't make a lot of sense in English.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back